Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely, some employees will order, then sell to family?

As far as I know they do not need to. It is open for employees *with friends and family*.

Surely, some will order and sell on the open market?

As far as I know they can't yet as it is a part of the contract that they can't sell the car earlier then 6 month after the car is bought.

Reactions: anonim1979
Soooo.... metal front roof? Hard to tell.

And is it just me, or do the mirrors appear to be (auto-)folded?
This has me confused too. I've never seen anyone manually fold their mirrors, but auto-folding mirrors are listed as part of the PUP. I would also assume that a metal roof would be more obvious, but maybe not.

Possibly an error on the Monroney sticker?

• Helpful
Reactions: jsanford

I went back and looked at it again- I find it highly unlikely they made a $5k error on the Monroney sticker, because everything indicates the lack of PUP not just the options box. It's more likely an employee who was able to get one of the few non-PUP cars. It's important to remember that everything on the options is almost certainly done, they are just making them available to the general public in steps to facilitate the production ramp. *

(*And to make more money off of those of us who order early! :p)

This has me confused too. I've never seen anyone manually fold their mirrors, but auto-folding mirrors are listed as part of the PUP. I would also assume that a metal roof would be more obvious, but maybe not.

Remember, this is not a car somebody has casually parked. It is a manufactured vehicle waiting to be delivered to a customer. I wouldn't be surprised if folding the mirrors was policy.

If you consider just another 4 criteria (wanting long range, PUP, afford it, not in current automotive financial obligation, etc) at a 50% probability each, it does narrow it down to 2%.

Example:
100% pre-ordered
1/2 don't follow through with order for any reason (maybe decide to wait for Model Y). down to 50%
1/2 remainder don't want LR, can't afford it, any reason - down to 25%
1/2 remainder don't wan't PUP, down to 12.5%
1/2 remainder are waiting for AWD, 6.25%
1/2 haven't saved up enough of a down payment yet, ~3%
1/2 Just aren't ready to buy it yet, still in a lease/loan/etc, 1.5% left

Thanks for explaining to people. You started from 100% reserved, yet it dwindled down so quickly.
Then there is also the geographic roll out plan, cuv/suv/pick up, charging at home/apt and the large % that can't buy new car .
If anyone thinks $17/hr Tesla factory workers commuting 1+ hr a day are going to buy this in droves, he is in for a shock.

For those who don't know "mmd" is a rabid TSLA short who takes a negative view on all things Tesla and desperately wants the company to fail. Weigh his comments accordingly.

Thanks bro, for coming here to introduce me :) Nice try on the ad hominem instead of attacking the argument.
Rabid, eh? Guess you need a mirror to look at yourself and the fellow longs from the investor section :) How does a dose of reality to go with your cup of Koolaid sound to you?

Have you introduced yourself btw? "Desperatelly wants the company to fail", that's funny. If the stock is $100 and everyone gets their cars, is it a fail? If the stock is $400 but very few gets a good car, is it a success?

• Disagree
Reactions: labfm and dc_h
If you consider just another 4 criteria (wanting long range, PUP, afford it, not in current automotive financial obligation, etc) at a 50% probability each, it does narrow it down to 2%.

Example:
100% pre-ordered
1/2 don't follow through with order for any reason (maybe decide to wait for Model Y). down to 50%
1/2 remainder don't want LR, can't afford it, any reason - down to 25%
1/2 remainder don't wan't PUP, down to 12.5%
1/2 remainder are waiting for AWD, 6.25%
1/2 haven't saved up enough of a down payment yet, ~3%
1/2 Just aren't ready to buy it yet, still in a lease/loan/etc, 1.5% left
I understand your argument but the one I was arguing against was saying that only 1-2% would actually buy the car at all. Yours is saying that half won't buy but that the others will, just not right away. Or did I read it wrong?

Employees paying full retail price for a beta car is hardly what I would call a good deal. They are paying their own hard earned money to help Elon work bugs and kinks out of his flagship vehicle. He makes billions while a lot of these folks have car payments. Just stupid.

if only there was a way for employees to choose not to buy the car

Maybe I'm an idiot here, but what is the appeal to auto-folding mirrors (aside from obviously not having to manually fold them)? I don't think I've ever folded in my mirrors outside of going to a car wash, but I try to avoid that these days completely and wash by hand. I mean, I guess I would fold them when I park in public...to protect the mirrors? Do you guys regularly fold in your mirrors?

• Funny
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Maybe I'm an idiot here, but what is the appeal to auto-folding mirrors (aside from obviously not having to manually fold them)? I don't think I've ever folded in my mirrors outside of going to a car wash, but I try to avoid that these days completely and wash by hand. I mean, I guess I would fold them when I park in public...to protect the mirrors? Do you guys regularly fold in your mirrors?

Can be handy in tight places like garages. Of course the 3 is not as wide as the S, but it's still decently wide.

Reactions: jsanford
Just thinking and wondering .......

Regarding the estimates above pertaining to the number of employees that will order .....
I'd imagine the number would be higher than anticipated.
Surely, some employees will order, then sell to family?
Surely, some will order and sell on the open market?

Human nature would seem to dictate that if you have what so many want ... the conditions are ripe for selling at a profit.
Tesla may have prohibited a resale ... but once the car is in an owners hands, I can't see Tesla having much of a say in the matter.

Employees don't have to sell to family. There's a letter that went public from Tesla to its employees regarding conditions for the sale to employees. They can order for immediate family members. Don't have to "sell" it to them. This increases the number of employees who will actually order as a much wealthier parent or sibling is eligible to purchase.

They are strictly prohibited from selling to the open market for a profit. If you read the other threads, there are issues where it just isn't likely. Anyone willing to pay that much of a premium is much more likely to just go buy a S. The financials alone (who gets the tax credit, double sales tax, etc), ignoring the hoops you have to jump through to do this, make very little sense to do so. So, not only is there a risk to their job, there isn't even much of a market even if there wasn't a risk to their jobs.

I don't really need autofolding mirrors (manual folding is fine), but the advantage is that they are much less likely to get broken off when publicly parking in tight spaces. My current car (which is narrower than the 3) doesn't have folding mirrors and they have been broken off twice.

I guess the advantage to auto is the mirrors will always be folded when parked (with manual there will be a tendency to get lazy).

I don't really need autofolding mirrors (manual folding is fine), but the advantage is that they are much less likely to get broken off when publicly parking in tight spaces. My current car (which is narrower than the 3) doesn't have folding mirrors and they have been broken off twice.

I guess the advantage to auto is the mirrors will always be folded when parked (with manual there will be a tendency to get lazy).

Also gives you more room in the garage.

Reactions: insaneoctane
Status
Not open for further replies.