Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pictures of production Model 3s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't edit my post above and hotlinks expired, fixed links:
-------------
Training chassis at Fremont
Model 3 getting some serious body work at Fremont.
ZDn4rAw.jpg

First photos of a FSD Model 3 (without the steering wheel)! :p

Thanks for the pictures, finally we get a good look at a midnight silver (which is my favorite among the available colors) with the Aero wheels. Unfortunately it doesn't look good at all IMO. :( Gives the car a drab and cheap look. Tesla really needs to offer an alternative 18" wheel in a brighter color.
TSportline will be offering a 19" Silver Turbine for the 3 which would look incredible with the Midnight Silver

Tesla-Model-3-front-three-quarters-sport-kit-wm-5_c145bdac-766d-4ef8-a5ac-c9e8f5fa4fb9.jpg

Any idea how much they would be?
19" TSportline Turbines for Model S are currently available at $425 a piece. If the offsets are similar they could very well use the same rim.

If that's too rich Tirerack has Model S 20" versions (20 x 9" or 20 x 10") available in the $239-249 range (again, depending on the offset); but prices will most likely be similar for Model 3
axis_ms_bs_pdpfull.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: gambit48
I like these pictures because I currently drive a VW Golf TDI, so it gives me a really good comparison on size. It's about the size I thought it would be,

Hmm... my wife drives a VW e-Golf now. She may need to mentally prep for the size of the 3; she's not a fan of big sedans (and finds our MS scarily large).

Reactions: jsanford
Keep in mind the cost of the tires alone will probably run you $750. The $1500 isn't a bad deal on the 19" wheels.
True, but the 19" tires that have been showing up on the RC's are not well rated. I genuinely feel you're better off taking the 18" rims (I would keep them for Winter use) and invest those funds in a really good Summer tire/rim package.

While that render does look nice. The wheels look gigantic and heavy. Not what you want if you want max range out of the battery. Not to mention bending the wheels when you encounter a pothole.

Take a look at this. I like this. How big do you think those wheels are?

View attachment 245999
Probably 19". Could be 18" but don't think they would clear the brake calipers. For racing application, typically go with smaller diameter wheels to reduce not only the unsprung mass but rotational mass as well.

Probably 19". Could be 18" but don't think they would clear the brake calipers. For racing application, typically go with smaller diameter wheels to reduce not only the unsprung mass but rotational mass as well.

They are in fact 18's. Race rubber, as far as I know, only come as big as 18". Yes, even the world challenge series run on 18's. Everything runs on 18's.
Yes, you're correct. You want to have the minimum amount of unsprung weight. So you want the wheels to just barely clear the brake calipers.

18's is what the model 3 comes with. And that's what I'll run when I do place my order. :)

Reactions: Dave EV
They are in fact 18's. Race rubber, as far as I know, only come as big as 18". Yes, even the world challenge series run on 18's. Everything runs on 18's.
Yes, you're correct. You want to have the minimum amount of unsprung weight. So you want the wheels to just barely clear the brake calipers.

18's is what the model 3 comes with. And that's what I'll run when I do place my order. :)

I'm going back and forth on it myself. I completely agree that there's no reason to run 19"s other than cosmetic ones. Tires cost more, ride is rougher, risk of pothole damage and curb scrapes is much worse.

I would potentially take the 18"s that the car ships with and convert them into winter tire setup and possibly get some other 18"s to swap the factory rubber to.

Reactions: Stirfelt
I'm going back and forth on it myself. I completely agree that there's no reason to run 19"s other than cosmetic ones. Tires cost more, ride is rougher, risk of pothole damage and curb scrapes is much worse.

I would potentially take the 18"s that the car ships with and convert them into winter tire setup and possibly get some other 18"s to swap the factory rubber to.

That's exactly what my plan is. I'll leave the 18's that come with the car as my winter setup. And get some lighter weight aesthetically pleasing 18's for my summer setup. :)

Or, if you don't mind how the 18s look without the cover, just buy another pair off someone who hates then.

I could go this way. But chances are good the OEM wheel won't be as light as a decent aftermarket wheel.
No doubt you can go bananas and get some crazy light weight forged wheels for $600 a pop or higher. But you don't have to go crazy either.

The stock 17" wheel that came with my Miata was decent. Weighed about 17lbs. But At the time I had a mazda6 that needed summer rims. So I transferred over the Miata rims to the 6. Which left me with some options on the Miata.
I picked up some Kosei wheels which were 14lbs and had a 5mm lower offset than the stock OEM 55mm. They looked roughly like the Enkei wheels which were going for $80-100 more a wheel. Same weight. I've been happy with the rims for the past 9yrs.
3lbs might not seem much, but on the Miata every little bit helps. And the difference is noticeable behind the wheel. Easier to accelerate, turn, brake, etc.

18's from oem typically weigh an extraordinary amount. My old mans 2016 328 wheels weigh something crazy like 28-30lbs. That's insane. You can easily get a decent 18" wheel in the 19lb range, if not a bit lighter, for not much cash. That's a lot of unsprung weight you're eliminating.

19" TSportline Turbines for Model S are currently available at $425 a piece. If the offsets are similar they could very well use the same rim.

If that's too rich Tirerack has Model S 20" versions (20 x 9" or 20 x 10") available in the $239-249 range (again, depending on the offset); but prices will most likely be similar for Model 3
axis_ms_bs_pdpfull.jpg

Tirerack also has a 19" turbine. Even cheaper but I would want to know more about it.

Rial Lugano

In 3 colours as well. Unfortunately they are 32 lbs each!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.