Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Photos of first test of rear lighted T on car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tested the beta of the rear lighted T tonight and snapped a few photos. The set-up was rather crude (the T and arch were temporarily glued in place and the wiring was outside the car) so the photos don't do it justice. The test was to evaluate the color tone of the red LEDs to be sure they matched the tail and brake lights and also to test the brightness of the T at both levels -- with rear running lights on and brakes applied. The color match is nearly perfect but the lower brightness level needs to be reduced 10-15 percent to match the rear running lights. With brakes applied the brightness match is quite good.

Here are a few photos. Regrettably the camera does not capture the full effect. But even with my crude set up it was quite cool.

View attachment 50694

View attachment 50695

Cool! :cool:

The installation today at the Hamilton NJ supercharger was a success. My hat is off to SUPURKAR, without whose knowledge and assistance this would not have been possible.

The rear lighted Ts are now installed on SUPURKAR's and my car. I have a lot of photos of the install which I'll post later It's very cool, even better than the front lighted T I think.

We learned one thing: unlike the front lighted T this is not a job for anyone but the most experienced and skilled DIYer. The greatest challenge of this install is reinstalling the rear llfttgate trim, which has to be removed (along with all the other lift gate trim). This is a very tricky task and aligning all of the plastic rivet/snap-ins is difficult. The rest of the job is pretty easy -- just this one task is a challenge.

SUPURKAR and I concluded that this is a job best done by an experienced aftermarket shop -- a sound system installer and the like.

I'll be working on the installation instructions this week. In the meantime, I'll be authorizing Oznium to begin production. BTW, they got the brightness spot on -- in both running light and brake mode it's a perfect match.

Photos a bit later tonight.

Working with my own local shop, I'm going to try to identify a new work of shops nationwide who can do this install.

Last edited:
cant wait to see!!!!

Here are a few photos. Interestingly, the camera reads the reds a bit differently (makes the tail lights look orange) and make the T glow a bit, but to the eye they are a perfect match and the low effect is much diminished (the multi-coat red intensifies the reflection).

_DSC4986.JPG

_DSC4984.JPG

_DSC5012.JPG

Here's a shot of SUPURKAR trying to jockey the large lift gate trim piece in place. You can see why it's difficult.

_DSC4969.jpg

We learned one thing: unlike the front lighted T this is not a job for anyone but the most experienced and skilled DIYer. The greatest challenge of this install is reinstalling the rear llfttgate trim, which has to be removed (along with all the other lift gate trim). This is a very tricky task and aligning all of the plastic rivet/snap-ins is difficult. The rest of the job is pretty easy -- just this one task is a challenge.

Do the rivets and snap pieces look similar to how the chrome on the nosecone is held in place? Those are a real PITA, too.

I need three volunteers to do test installs of the rear lighted T. The volunteers will get the rear T for free but most do the following:

Discuss the installation procedures with me by phone first before doing the installation
Share comments and notes with me about the installation and how it might be improved or made easier
Take photos of the installation and agree to make them available on TMC and in the installation instructions

If you're interested, please PM me. The volunteers will be chosen on a first-come first-served basis.