Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Phone App: iPhone/Android app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Works for me...My car is in the SC for a TPMS fix...and I confirmed that it's there...

Thanks, Ed. Really strange... Just walked down to the car and found everything to be normal; the car's happily charging and everything. The car's showing a decent 3G connection strength (3 bars) and mobile app access is set to On as always.

Could users be partitioned by servers? And, there's a partial outage at Tesla's end?

I have a phone running Android 4.1.2 (the JiaYu S1). When I try to install "Tesla Model S Beta" app from play.google.com (Updated November 28, 2013) it says "This item is not compatible with your device". Successfully installed on an other phone (JiaYu G5) running Android 4.2 though. The requirements say the app should run on Android 2.2 and up.

I never used Android until today, and have no very experienced installing apps. Can someone explain to me what's going on? How can I find out what causes the incompatibility? Is it the software (Android 4.1.2) or can it also be caused by the phone brand? Is it possible to install an older version of the app?

Given the predictions of an impending ice storm in Georgia and the Carolinas I decided to put my Tesla on the AutoTrain from Sanford FL to Lorton VA instead of attempting to drive. Everything went well. About an hour before arriving in VA I decided to wake up my car with the app on my iPhone. The battery still had 114 miles on it.... good... I thought about turning on the climate system but decided to wait.... Then I decided to check the location. Wouldn't it be cute if the app showed me and the vehicle both traveling along but separated by a few hundred feet? I was alarmed to see that my vehicle was still in the rail yard in Sanford FL!!! It seems that instead of waking the GPS system to get the location, the app just accesses the last cached location when the car was turned on. My car came off the train just as expected. Happy ending.

I guess this means that the app will not work for locating a vehicle that has been towed.

Given the predictions of an impending ice storm in Georgia and the Carolinas I decided to put my Tesla on the AutoTrain from Sanford FL to Lorton VA instead of attempting to drive. Everything went well. About an hour before arriving in VA I decided to wake up my car with the app on my iPhone. The battery still had 114 miles on it.... good... I thought about turning on the climate system but decided to wait.... Then I decided to check the location. Wouldn't it be cute if the app showed me and the vehicle both traveling along but separated by a few hundred feet? I was alarmed to see that my vehicle was still in the rail yard in Sanford FL!!! It seems that instead of waking the GPS system to get the location, the app just accesses the last cached location when the car was turned on. My car came off the train just as expected. Happy ending.

I guess this means that the app will not work for locating a vehicle that has been towed.

Another reason to leave sleep mode off.

I have a phone running Android 4.1.2 (the JiaYu S1). When I try to install "Tesla Model S Beta" app from play.google.com (Updated November 28, 2013) it says "This item is not compatible with your device". Successfully installed on an other phone (JiaYu G5) running Android 4.2 though. The requirements say the app should run on Android 2.2 and up.

I never used Android until today, and have no very experienced installing apps. Can someone explain to me what's going on? How can I find out what causes the incompatibility? Is it the software (Android 4.1.2) or can it also be caused by the phone brand? Is it possible to install an older version of the app?
My old phone died on me last week and I bought a new phone. when I tried to transfer my apps to the new phone I had many apps with the same error you had.
"This item is not compatible with your device".:cursing:
Since I am waiting for a phone that will be released in the next month or two, I chose to get an "inexpensive" phone, that I can use until that time. Too cheap in quality. I threw the brand new phone in the trash and had to buy another that was better quality.

Any chance 5.x firmware will be accompanied with new iPhone/Andrroid apps to enable some new feature? Also I think the "wake up" behavior should/could be improved. Mine takes a very long time to wake from the iPhone app, but no problems when opening the door etc. (just the normal brief delay as the instrument cluster boots up). App frequently never wakes up the car.

Any chance 5.x firmware will be accompanied with new iPhone/Andrroid apps to enable some new feature? Also I think the "wake up" behavior should/could be improved. Mine takes a very long time to wake from the iPhone app, but no problems when opening the door etc. (just the normal brief delay as the instrument cluster boots up). App frequently never wakes up the car.

I predict we will see a major app update sometime after FW6.0 and before FW7.0. :tongue:

Agree the current app is getting pretty long in the tooth. Good formula would be to update the app with every major firmware version.

My android app seems much more responsive since I replaced my broken Galaxy S4 with a Moto X running KitKat. Now the maps display updates faster (More like I've heard described about the Iphone version) and I don't get as many communication failure popups. I guess we'll know when more phones move to KitKat if it enhances the apps abilities there too.

App definitely needs updating. I wonder if they could add a "Call nearest Service Center" (i.e. local) or a "Call Ownership" (i.e. the mothership) button feature to the next version.

Sorry, can't resist. Don't most of today's phones have a stored directory for that sort of thing! I could really go for a Kit-Kat though, need a snack.

Saw this Galaxy Gear OnStar app on Twitter. Would be cool if the Tesla app had something like this...

BhRcN5nCUAAI2aE.jpg

Sorry, can't resist. Don't most of today's phones have a stored directory for that sort of thing! I could really go for a Kit-Kat though, need a snack.
You have over 50 SCs saved to your phone?
That may get you by in your local area, but what if something happened while you were on the road traveling. you wouldn't know the number to the nearest SC or even what the nearest SC was without having to look it up somewhere.:frown:
App to the rescue.:biggrin: it can figure out where the nearest SC is to your location. (even I the SC opened that day..) If it is within, say, 50 miles then dial it, and they will bring you your candy bar.:love: if it is over 50 miles call ownership (and they will give you and estimate on when you can expect your candy bar. then double it for the real release date:tongue:)

Last edited:
You have over 50 SCs saved to your phone?
That may get you by in your local area, but what if something happened while you were on the road traveling. you wouldn't know the number to the nearest SC or even what the nearest SC was without having to look it up somewhere.:frown:
App to the rescue.:biggrin: it can figure out where the nearest SC is to your location. (even I the SC opened that day..) If it is within, say, 50 miles then dial it, and they will bring you your candy bar.:love: if it is over 50 miles call ownership (and they will give you and estimate on when you can expect your candy bar. then double it for the real release date:tongue:)

But no candy bar unless you bought the service plan!