Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

phantom braking. Are you still experiencing it with latest software update?

Are you still experiencing it with latest software update

• yes

Votes: 89 72.4%
  • no

Votes: 34 27.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Happened multiple times to me going northbound on 405 in the HOV lane under all the blue tag lights (what they use for auditing it).

What was odd is I don't recall it ever being that bad. It was basically unusable.

I'll try again tomorrow.

Are they doing something different at the SC than just hitting "calibrate cameras" on the service menu?

I tried that and it didn't work. They came out and worked on the car for about 2 hours including a test drive & everything has been perfect since. No clue what they did.

In more than 6 months I've only had 1 phantom brake, and the sun was shining directly into the windshield right above an overpass so I'd say that's acceptable. Before that I was seeing a couple incidents per week.

I tried that and it didn't work. They came out and worked on the car for about 2 hours including a test drive & everything has been perfect since. No clue what they did.

In more than 6 months I've only had 1 phantom brake, and the sun was shining directly into the windshield right above an overpass so I'd say that's acceptable. Before that I was seeing a couple incidents per week.

That's good and bad to hear. Good that the problem can potentially be fixed by a Tesla service, but really horrible that these cars are designed to either be delivered out of calibration from the factory, or get out of calibration over time and needing a 2 hour service. And to top it off, the car isn't even smart enough to tell you the calibration is out of whack, but just goes along its merry way screwing up.

You just can't make self-driving cars with that poor of an engineering design. Be better Tesla.

A few months ago, a software update completely fixed all of the phantom braking locations that I frequently drove through. I immediately came here to ask the same question, OP, and was surprised to find that there were as many people saying that phantom braking was worse for them after the update as those that said it had improved.

On the bright side, most all of the AP software re-write beta testers that post videos to YouTube about their experiences with the new software state that phantom braking is 99.9% fixed in the beta.

IMO, we won't see much (if any) phantom braking improvement until the new software is released to us; the updates we receive until then will be pretty limited as far as improvements to FSD/TACC (phantom braking). Something for us to look forward to.

Not sure if they qualify as "phantom braking", but I have a couple of places on my drive that my car always slow down. Oddly, there is a two-lane HOV section of the I-5 in Orange County, CA (just south of the Orange Crush) that is separated from the main line where if I am in the left lane, my car always slows down (I tested it during the initial days of COVID and it got all the way down to 35 MPH before I finally put my foot on the accelerator). If I am in the right lane, it never slows.

I keep hoping for improvements with the new rollout whenever it comes.