Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

PG&E E-9 cancelled

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the confusion, I did a quick comparison of E-7 vs E-6 and there are a couple of things that seem to make E-7 better for me. I would lose 1 hour of peak production everyday and in the winter about $300 since on E-6 there is no peak. Then it seem crazy to me that when most people are home cooking from 5 to 8 pm you are on partial peak. Also the per kWh for peak on E-6 is lower and of peak is higher. I'm all electric so it seems to me that E-6 will cost more than E-7. Also I have a separate meter for charging so that will not impact my bill on the house.

Long before I got the electric cars I knew that E7 was better than E6, people long lamented the demise of the E7 rate tariff. At the time E6 was introduced PGE got a lot of complaints. E7 was considered a little generous by PGE. I was entitled to E7 in 2007 (they opened it up for a short while), but I needed E1 for the A/C use in the day. Now I need TOU , only E6 is there . For anyone still on E7 that's good for them, I think they should stay there until it goes away.

Long before I got the electric cars I knew that E7 was better than E6, people long lamented the demise of the E7 rate tariff. At the time E6 was introduced PGE got a lot of complaints. E7 was considered a little generous by PGE. I was entitled to E7 in 2007 (they opened it up for a short while), but I needed E1 for the A/C use in the day. Now I need TOU , only E6 is there . For anyone still on E7 that's good for them, I think they should stay there until it goes away.
I agree and would not be on this thread if someone had not said they were eliminating E7 and waiting for PUC approval (which is going to happen because the PUC is in bed with PG&E). So now I need to be prepared for this and just wondering how I can approach a better electrical rate, it looks like I will have to add some solar panels.

I agree and would not be on this thread if someone had not said they were eliminating E7 and waiting for PUC approval (which is going to happen because the PUC is in bed with PG&E).
So now I need to be prepared for this and just wondering how I can approach a better electrical rate, it looks like I will have to add some solar panels.

Just received this update from my contact at PG&E: Please note the critical dates...

The Public Utilities Commission has just finalized the structure of the new "NEM 2.0" tariff that will be introduced in early 2016, possibly as soon as Jan. 1.
This new tariff is SUBSTANTIALLY less advantageous to solar homeowners than the current E6 or E7 rate plans (a.k.a. tariffs).

Anyone on E7 will be automatically switched to the new NEM 2.0 tariff as soon as it goes into effect. Those on the E6 will be able to remain on it for 5 years, until 12/31/2020.
IF YOU ARE ON E7 YOU SHOULD CALL PG&E AND SWITCH TO E6. You must do this by Nov. 30, otherwise it will be too late.
That's because the E6 rate will be closed to NEW ACCOUNTS on Dec. 1 2015. E6 isn't as good a rate plan for solar families as E7 was, but it's much better than the forthcoming NEM 2.0 tariff.

To see what rate plan you are currently on, look at Page 3 of your PG&E bill. The 3rd line of the summary at the top of the page will begin with Rate Schedule: E* where "*" is 7, 6 or 1.
(E1 is a non-time of use rate, which is usually but not always a poor choice for a household with solar. Consider switching to E6 if you are on E1). IF YOU ARE ON E6, NO ACTION is required.

Thanks for the heads-up. This has been in the works for a long time.

The PUC decision was issued November 5. The transition rules are on pages 11 and 12 of the Settlement Agreement, Appendix A.

As I read the agreement, the advice from FlatSix911 is accurate and urgent.

PG&E can offer the E-TOU rates (horrible - worse even than E-1 if you have solar) on 1/1/16 or as soon after as they can get it implemented, but in no case later than 6/1/16.

As soon as E-TOU becomes available, two bad things will happen:

1. E-7 customers will be moved to E-TOU.
  2. E-6 will be closed to new customers.

PG&E requires one month's advance notice to convert from E-7 to E-6. There's no guarantee that they would give a month's advance notice of the E-TOU effective date, or that you'd find out about it.

So the only safe path, if you're on E-7, is to transfer to E-6 by the end of this month.

Great, so PG&E can make this kind of change without notifying anyone about what the change is and when it will happen.
They are not telling anyone so you will be forced to be on the NEM 2.0 tariff. Do we have a place to go to find out how that rate schedule works?

There is always a chance that the PUC will not approve the plan. Remember, PG&E has not posted any official information at this time.

There is always a chance that the PUC will not approve the plan. Remember, PG&E has not posted any official information at this time.
Yes, I'm constantly amazed that the powers that be allow a power company to be a monopoly. If it is true about November being the dead line to switch to E6 we do not have much time left for them to approve or not. The governor seems to want a greener state so why would he allow a rate plan that basically makes solar less desirable. I have a call into my solar company about adding more panels and will discuss this situation with them and see what they know.

I'm still working on getting info on the cancelling of E7 and what rate will replace it. In the mean time would like to know from any North Bay owners if they went with Sonoma Clean Power. I realize that they use the same scheduling as PG&E but are supposed to be a little less expensive.

I'm still working on getting info on the cancelling of E7 and what rate will replace it. In the mean time would like to know from any North Bay owners if they went with Sonoma Clean Power. I realize that they use the same scheduling as PG&E but are supposed to be a little less expensive.
I'm with Marin Clean Energy and in a similar situation. The only rate the Community Choice Aggregators can set is the price for generation, which is a flat price per kWh for each season and TOU period. PG&E's tariffs control the distribution, which includes the tiering and the TOU periods.

For purposes of evaluating this change I am using the PG&E rate charts. If you want to be more precise, find the PG&E tariff, which breaks down the rates, subtract their generation component and add in the SCP generation. The difference might be a penny or two per kWh but the PG&E rates will be close enough.

I will probably switch from E-7 to E-6 today (Nov. 30).