Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Peru, Normal, Champaign vs Country Club (Chicago), Lafayette ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Heading down to Nashville. I've typically gone through Chicago and charged at Country Club. Thinking about taking the slightly longer route through Peru, Normal, and Champaign to Indianapolis instead. I'd think that time wise it'd be as fast or faster even though more miles and also less stressful.

Has anyone done this? Thoughts?

I got nothing except I've used the Peru and normal charges. The normal one is in a parking garage on the third floor and has been open every time there. No one ever at Peru. Normal is a bit out of the way, maybe 4 or so miles from the highway.

Normal is off the main highway, but the route to and through the supercharger is as direct or more direct than the highway on a generally N-S route. So in effect, it is at most a 4-8 minute slowdown if you were just passing through (and by) the supercharger.

I've been through Country Club. It had a grimy feel to it, unlike most other Supercharger sites. What exactly did you mean by stressful?

After one trip through Chicago's bumper to bumper traffic at 10:30 p.m., we take the Peru/Normal/Champaign route to and from MN and Bloomington IN. Indy is decent, too. Last trip, with Peru open we skipped Normal as it is a painful detour unless you want to stop for the night. Have a good trip!

Thanks all. Peru/Normal/Champaign it is. Thanks for the tip on Normal being a bit off. I'm hoping to skip it anyway but this gives me a bit of extra incentive. With all of our stuff it will depend on wind and temp if we can skip it or not. Country Club is probably a good 10 minutes extra each way so 20+ minutes extra. There is a bit of of empty retail space around which is kind of depressing. OTOH, on one of our trips through I spent quite a bit of time talking to the guy charging next to us. Seeing a picture of us later that my wife took my son informed me that he's a rapper — Common.

What exactly did you mean by stressful?
Just the general traffic, poor road conditions and gobs of lane changes and stuff going through Chicagoland. A fairly open motorway, even if a bit longer, would likely be preferable, especially with AP. Now if we can just get the old nag schedule back.