Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Personalized plates in Texas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I was wondering if someone can tell me how I can apply for my personalized plates and get it during vehicle registration at the DMV.

I have my model 3 scheduled to be delivered in Jan/Feb and I’m aware that I’ll need to go the DMV to pay taxes and complete the registration process as per the rules in Texas.

I’ve been checking out personalized plates using myplates.com and I was wondering if there’s a way to order my plates and somehow communicate that with the DMV so I can get those when I got for my registration process

Or can I only get it after I register my car and then get the normal set of plates?

Do I need to provide registration details while ordering personalized plates? Which means I’d have no way to get those before I register the car - so I’ll have to get the normal plates and then later on get the personalized plates?

I’m confused about the process, hope someone can help (especially about the personalized plates ordering process because in this blog it’s written I don’t necessarily have to give vehicle details but I’m not sure: How to Buy a Personalized License Plate in Texas | YourMechanic Advice)

can you get one before getting a vin assigned to you?
I have ordered multiple ones prior to getting my county dmv issued license plate. You have to pick them up at the your county DMV and you have to surrender your original issued license plate to exchange them to your personalized one. SO you can order them but they won't issue it to you to assign to your new tesla until it is registered and you have the county issued one to exchange.

Reactions: fredzos
Upvote 0