Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Registration/plate issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California

When I filled out order info in the app, I included my P3D for trade, and wanted to transfer the personalized plate. After I got the quote I decided to keep the 3 and asked in the delivery text,

Since I'm keeping the 3, is it too late to do a new license plate on the X instead of transferring personalized plate?

Tesla confirmed that I'd be getting new plates for the X:

You will be receiving new plates for the model X

In the meantime I renewed my 3's registration and just applied the '24 sticker.

Well, I just got a registration card and set of stickers for the X -- using my personalized plate. So now I don't even know the status of the 3 - is it plateless?

I texted Tesla and they told me I needed to take it up with the DMV. I emphatically do NOT want to be a Karen about this, but it feels like I did everything I needed to do and Tesla screwed this up and blame me for it.

I guess I can't avoid a DMV trip?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.25.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.25.36 PM.png
    532.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.40.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-24 at 8.40.43 PM.png
    336.1 KB · Views: 78
You are better off going to the DMV and dealing directly with them. It seems clear from what you received from the DMV that Tesla already transferred your plate to your X. Therefore, your M3 would have no registered plates. I am guessing even though Tesla messed up, you would have to pay to transfer your plates back to your M3, or just get new plates for it entirely.

Upvote 0
The folks on that team don't seem to talk to each other, and they will say yes to anything you ask and not actually do it...Something similar happened to me, and talking to Tesla didn't go anywhere, they were completely useless.

Go to the DMV, get new plates for your 3, and then do the transfer. I'm in NJ and did the entire process in one visit.

Upvote 0