Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parrot Asteroid SMART 2DIN Head Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I missed it but have you mentioned Tesla Motors' reaction to stuff like this Parrot installation?

I suspect it varies by location. For me, they were very helpful. They want me to enjoy my ownership experience.

In general, OVMS, etc, I have been told that if we break the car we pay, but it won't affect warranty unless the fault is directly caused by the accessory. For example, if we plug in OVMS and it fries the diag port connector, it won't be covered by warranty. But, they won't/can't deny warranty on unrelated failures.

P.S. OVMS was disconnected for annual service because I don't want to be hassled by error alerts when they do things like remove the PEM. Also to give them access to the diag port (although they don't seem to need it any more, as no new firmware updates).

2.1.1 Parrot firmware is out. Too chicken to install it yet, but bluetooth enhancements and gps fixes will be welcome.

Change log -

Version 2.1.1

IMPROVEMENTS

General

Several stability fixes
[Update] With some user conditions when changing language it will do a Factory reset

GPS

Improvements for GPS signal
Automatic update of GPS module firmware at first start after v2.1.1 update: Make sure not to interrupt the process
Add option to deactivate external ASTEROID dongle LED Settings>Location&Security
Display GPS module firmware version Settings>About>GPS version

Interface

Several texts translations changed
Improvement of voice reco prompts
Voice Recognition "Music/Contacts" screen display time reduced when launched from remote (or UNIKA)
Day/Night settings better managed
Update telephony background
[UNIKA] Update UNIKA firmware version => Automatic update of UNIKA system at first start after v2.1.1 update
[UNIKA] Display UNIKA firmware version Settings>remote control>Steering wheel
SafetyControler : Remove option to deactivate this safety feature (legal conformity reasons)
[Bluetooth] Add option to search for nearby Bluetooth devices Settings>Wireless & network>Bluetooth>Search for devices (ASTEROID must be connected to a phone before searching)
[Bluetooth] Add possibility to change default pairing code "0000"

MediaPlayer

Music Voice Recognition: Increase limitation for indexed tracks quantity [USB/SD]
All music sources listed in Music list (greyed if not ready to be used)
Next/Previous are now also available in pause state
Random list is now different at each source plug or ASTEROID power on
[Spotify] Update app logo on music voice recognition
Track playing position is saved for music sources at power off [SD/USB/iPod/Tuner]

Tuner

Automatic audio resume at startup (only if last source used was Tuner)
Improve of RDS searches

Video

Reduce startup time for rear camera and video in applications

Telephony/Phonebook

Phone>Keypad: Add cursor to be able to delete or insert number at any position
Phone>Keypad: Add shortcut to last dialed number by pressing green button
Voice Recognition for contacts with several numbers of same type (mobile, home, ...) now ask to choose between each number (mobile1, mobile2, ...)
Voice Recognition for contacts with only one number no longer ask for number type
Add explicit message if DualMode not activated when trying to connect a second phone
Add possibility to change ringtone volume with up/down slide on screen during ringing

Internet

[Mexico] Add APN for Iusacell operator
USB 3G dongle are now disconnected right after shutdown

Market&Apps

Add possibility to create ASTEROID Market account from product application Asteroid Market > Sign Up
Add specific message if product is already linked with another account
SD card free space required to download and install apps reduced
Add support for new navigation apps
[M1C Zone] Coyote Series version upgraded
iGO version upgraded

BUG FIXES

MediaPlayer

[MusicApps] Sometime ask to reboot product after launching app (LiveRadio, TuneIn, Deezer, Spotify)
Pop up repeat" still displayed when switch to TuneIn source
No sound on BT streaming for secondary phone if connected during primary phone BT streaming
BT streaming often in pause mode after unplugging iPod
Often track source changed during streaming if track found via voice recognition available on several sources
Often voice reco not functional if launched after iPod plugged
[Apple iPod Touch 5G] Wrong logo displayed in the music sources list
[Apple iPod Nano 6G] ApplicationNotResponding if selecting another song in list from music voice recognition results during iPod streaming

Tuner

Edit favorite station does not work

Telephony/Phonebook

Incoming call screen not displayed when RecentApps screen is foreground
[DualMode] ApplicationNotResponding at startup if secondary phone contains lot of contacts
Numbers deleted from phone phonebook not deleted on ASTEROID phonebook

Interface

Back action is done twice in FullScan results screen

COMPATIBILITY

Phone - New support

Update of phone compatibility (Samsung Galaxy S4 and more ...)

Phone - Bug Fixes

[Some Nokia Symbian] Sometimes BT Internet connection fails
[Some HTC Android] Ringtone still played if incoming call during startup is canceled by distant caller
[Some HTC] Sometimes phone cannot connect to telephony service
[HTC Sensation] Often phone disconnection if several outgoing calls during iPod streaming
[Samsung Galaxy NoteII] Sometimes synchronization seems endless
[Acer Z110] Bug fix: BT streaming audio on phone

Internet connectivity - 3G keys

Update of compatibility support

Mark,

not familiar with Android..is it like jailbreaking an iPhone? That is if you install an update it deletes your jailbreak? Or is it that you have to remove the jailbreak then do the update?

ps thank you for all the help getting me squared away with the firmware update on the OVMS! (beer in the mail)

not familiar with Android..is it like jailbreaking an iPhone? That is if you install an update it deletes your jailbreak? Or is it that you have to remove the jailbreak then do the update?

I just upgraded to 2.1.1, and it was fairly painless. The root wasn't broken, and everything still works.

I'm no Android expert, but from my understanding it depends on the manufacturer and how many hoops they've stepped through to lock things down. For the Parrot Asteroid, it is fairly open and not hard to root and get google play running.

P.S. The new 2.1.1 firmware gets bluetooth working for devices other than phones (I just paired my Pebble watch as an example). Should be useful for OVMS.

ps thank you for all the help getting me squared away with the firmware update on the OVMS! (beer in the mail)

No problem. Glad it worked out ok in the end.

Hi Mark,

I found your hidmedia project while searching for a HID "driver" for the smart to install this kind of hardware in my car:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Handle-USB-Keyboard-Free-Driver-HID-Dos-Win-2000-XP-7-/310664257421
Do you think I would be able to control the smart using this small and cheap keypad?

redge

Redge,

Sorry for the delay in reply - somehow I missed your question on this thread.

Yes, that USB thingy should work, but you'll need to set it up on a windows machine.

Another approach that works well is to use one of those multimedia remote controllers IR->USB. Something like this:
Multimedia IR Remote Controller with USB Receiver for PC (1*CR2025) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Because that is ugly for the car, once you've set it up, use a learning IR steering wheel remote to have something nicer for the car. Something like this:
Infrared Steering Wheel Remote Control for Car - Black (1 x CR2025) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Unfortunately, I can't find one that fits nicely in my car steering wheel (it is a little momo steering wheel), but the IR approach works well.

Hi Mark,

I have been keeping up with the thread and was wondering if you still have a plan for adding OVMS support to the parrot? I recently picked up my Roadster and added the OVMS module and l love it. The only reason I would add the parrot is if there is a OVMS app that would work and be designed for the parrot. I think it would be worth the trouble of the installation in order to achieve this level of interaction with the car. Love the video!

J

Mark,

Thanks for the reply...just got the parrot and have it powered on my desktop right now. OVMS is working correctly in landscape mode! Thanks for getting that done. It really makes the perfect companion now for the Roadster. Im actually more excited about the potential of the parrot in the roadster than even my beautiful 17 screen in my model S. So far I have installed all the same apps that I use on my Galaxy S4 and it performs well. I have decided to also replace the double din unit I have in my Jeep Wrangler with the Parrot as well.

Next the tough task of installing the parrot in the roadster. I have read you summary, any other tips you might recommend before beginning the process?

Thanks,

J

Next the tough task of installing the parrot in the roadster. I have read you summary, any other tips you might recommend before beginning the process?

Everything I've learned should be in this forum thread.

Just make sure you bring out all the USB cables (including one for the Android debugger), so you don't have to keep removing the Parrot to make changes.

Just wanted to update the thread. I finally decided to have a "pro" install the system as I wanted to make sure it was done correctly and I didnt want to destroy my Carbon Fiber interior. I did write up an extensive set of notes thanks to all the advice on this thread and the installer did a wonderful job. He completely removed the Alpine system (except the rearview camera) and then ran multiple USB connections out of the parrot to my required areas. Some notes: I had the installer tie directly into the 12v off the cig adapter in order to make sure it would not "wake" the roadster with minor vibrations. Since the roadster will be garaged for the better part of the winter, I wanted to ensure no extra energy was being wasted by cycling the car. I also had the "ipod/iphone" usb cable replaced with a straight thru micro usb since I dont use apple for my phone. Finally, I routed a usb cable into the area next to the door by the steering wheel where the trunk release is. I installed a MIFI for all time Internet usage. It fits perfectly and I will remove it when the car gets store. (i use the sim to swap with the mifi and my tablet)

If you are looking for an upgrade to the roadster, I would highly recommend this unit. While it is not perfect, it sure beats the Alpine and almost all other units I looked at. Just having OVMS available on the dash makes the roadster feel more like the technology beast that is known as the Model S. And man is it fun watching Sunday NFL ticket while charging! Thanks to everyone, especially Markwj for hints tips, and the inspiration to upgrade the HUD!

J

I just installed a mobius cam behind. (In front?) the rear view mirror, ran the wire down the side and plugged into a spare USB port on the parrot. I can't get video (ok, I could with a little more work), but the cam is powered from the Parrot nicely.