Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parrot Asteroid SMART 2DIN Head Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you again. Not being able to get to the recent apps was the reason I didn't reassign the buttons. You are solving all my issues. Do you know if you can change the speed sensing speeds? I tried to update them and it said invalid entry. I love the ability of the volume to self adjust. I will update the buttons when I go home tonight!

Thanks again!

---Kent

You can change the speed, but it is kludgy. I can't remember how exactly I did it, but it was something like changing them all at one time and carefully saving. 9 times out of 10 it would give the error you show, but once was enough to save ok.

I'll call this one the Winter project. I upgraded the bootanimation.zip for the Parrot Asteroid.

Yep, I did something similar. Took way too long! The problem for me turned out to be that OSX zip packs things differently than Windows zip. That was a few hours of my life that I can't get back.

Asteroid Tweaker has an option to handle the install of the boot animation for you, once you've got the ZIP file ready.

Changing the speeds is easily done providing you use Select All by pressing the speed until that pops up each time. Now I can drive my Roadster without touching the volume control while changing speeds between zero and 70 MPH.

Great feature with the volume automatically adjusting up and down based upon speed.

Would like to resurrect this thread... It seems like such a great unit...Despite the sad demise of the RBN6 do most of you think that the Asteroid is still the best upgrade for the Alpine unit?
Your choice of a head unit all depends upon what is your priority for features and performance.

The good news is that just about any double-DIN head unit is a drop-in replacement for the double-DIN Alpine provided that the removal of the Alpine includes the removal of all of its ancillary components in the dash and down in the wheel well behind the waterfall.

If one is in the US and wants HD radio (more on this in a moment) and SiriusXM, then the Asteroid is not a good choice as my recollection is that neither of those features are available in the Asteroid. HD radio, in particular, somewhat makes up for the ambient RF noise levels in the car and the around-the-windshield antenna both which will make for FM listening somewhat less than optimum if not in HD (neither the Alpine nor any other available head unit has an FM diversity antennas which make FM listening such a pleasure on other high end cars).

If integration with a smartphone is a highly-desired feature, I also do not believe that the Asteroid does that. Rather, a high-end Pioneer or Kenwood will likely perform better with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Finally, for me the most significant usability drawback to the Alpine (and would be for the Asteroid) was the lack of a volume control knob. Roadsters do not have steering wheel volume controls like most cars and there is no practical way to add one (I know that some aftermarket gizmos are available but I have never seen one that I would either want to use or to have to look at on my steering wheel or turn-signal stalk). Adjusting the volume on the Alpine stabbing at a button was a diversion of my attention from the road when driving at speed. Therefore, one of the features I insisted on was a regular old volume control knob which I can grab without looking at, and frequently raise or lower volume which is particularly needed with the top down.

The feature that the Parrott Asteroid Smart shines in is its Android operating system and its ability to use Android apps that cannot be installed on other head units --- I am thinking the Waze app in particular.

Your choice of a head unit all depends upon what is your priority for features and performance.

The good news is that just about any double-DIN head unit is a drop-in replacement for the double-DIN Alpine provided that the removal of the Alpine includes the removal of all of its ancillary components in the dash and down in the wheel well behind the waterfall.

If one is in the US and wants HD radio (more on this in a moment) and SiriusXM, then the Asteroid is not a good choice as my recollection is that neither of those features are available in the Asteroid. HD radio, in particular, somewhat makes up for the ambient RF noise levels in the car and the around-the-windshield antenna both which will make for FM listening somewhat less than optimum if not in HD (neither the Alpine nor any other available head unit has an FM diversity antennas which make FM listening such a pleasure on other high end cars).

If integration with a smartphone is a highly-desired feature, I also do not believe that the Asteroid does that. Rather, a high-end Pioneer or Kenwood will likely perform better with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

Finally, for me the most significant usability drawback to the Alpine (and would be for the Asteroid) was the lack of a volume control knob. Roadsters do not have steering wheel volume controls like most cars and there is no practical way to add one (I know that some aftermarket gizmos are available but I have never seen one that I would either want to use or to have to look at on my steering wheel or turn-signal stalk). Adjusting the volume on the Alpine stabbing at a button was a diversion of my attention from the road when driving at speed. Therefore, one of the features I insisted on was a regular old volume control knob which I can grab without looking at, and frequently raise or lower volume which is particularly needed with the top down.

The feature that the Parrott Asteroid Smart shines in is its Android operating system and its ability to use Android apps that cannot be installed on other head units --- I am thinking the Waze app in particular.

John, when I had the Asteroid unit installed in my Roadster, my shop found a generic, black mini stalk arm that they installed (below the turn signal, but pointing high enough no to interfere with getting in and out of the driver's seat) for me.

The stalk had arrow up and down to change songs, and a programmable button at the end of the stalk (which I never bothered to utilize).

I found the stalk arrow up / down worked great, and I was very pleased they sourced this out for me.

Thank

Thanks for your reply John - in the end I am going to go for one of these Android 6 head units 4G capable. They seem to do everything I want + there is a truck load of apps that can be dowloaded for whatever... + DAB is a nice addition...

Thanks again!

Jonathan

Would like to resurrect this thread... It seems like such a great unit...Despite the sad demise of the RBN6 do most of you think that the Asteroid is still the best upgrade for the Alpine unit?

Back in 2013, it was the best. Nowadays, I'd go for an Android Auto / Apple Carplay unit.

P.S. The lack of volume control button is resolvable. With Asteroid Tweaker software (free and easy to install) you get both soft volume buttons (I set the UP and DOWN as the lowest two buttons on the left) to make it easier to change volume, plus a speed-variable volume adjustment feature. I hardly ever need to change volume with that enabled.

The only problem that i am finding with most of the double din units is that once the stereo cover piece goes back (the part that also covers the centre AC outlets) on, there is obviously less screen space. The double DIN size width is around 178mm - when the cover goes back on is reduced to 172mm So any unit you buy, using frame controls can be compromised. You loose 3mm each side. Don't see how you can modify the screen/AC cover as the last 10 mm or so is not tapered...

I have found myself a Android head unit that seems to fit and does most of the things I want...
  • DAB HD Radio
  • Integration of DVR
  • Octa core processor
  • All the various apps available with Android 6.0 including auto volume when the roof is off.
I've done quite a lot of searching and still have a few questions re the installation of the new unit.

1. Reversing camera - I have a 2.5 No 510 and it seems I have a somewhat different camera module to some others. Photo attached. I understand this version of the Alpine camera is compatible with other aftermarket double din head units. Does anyone know how the wiring should be done - the new head unit has an RCA input + 1 control wire.

Thanks,
Jonathan
20170424_120754_resized.jpg