Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Parking light replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ViperDoc

Roadster 1305
Jun 24, 2011
Vermont
Strangely enough, both of my front parking lights are out at once. Don't know how you lose 2 at once, but all the side lights are lit. It struck me that maybe this isn't too tough a swap, although reading posts, some make it seem more involved than other cars I have had (which were generally pretty easy). They I remembered the 2013 parking light upgrade that Tesla offered to take the lights from yellow to brighter white. I asked Tesla about them (they were coming to work on something on the car), and of couse they said that "those parts are no longer available." It seemed unlikely. I found the technical bulletin for the former upgrade, and it doesn't list a part number or manufacturer. Does anyone know of the proper bulb to just swap this out for a new one, preferably a brighter LED type?

Thanks.
David

Attachments

• SB-13-17-001_Parking_Lamp_Bulb_Upgrade.pdf
    165.8 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: DeedWest
That's pretty lame from Tesla that a bulb isn't available!!! :mad:

This post on LED replacements has instructions on replacement of the parking light and the bulb type which is a wedge W5W (aka 194 / other-compatible-sizes)

@DeedWest I don't think I've seen what the OEM Xenon bulb is. Can you post that when you get it replaced?

Strangely enough, both of my front parking lights are out at once. Don't know how you lose 2 at once, but all the side lights are lit. It struck me that maybe this isn't too tough a swap, although reading posts, some make it seem more involved than other cars I have had (which were generally pretty easy). They I remembered the 2013 parking light upgrade that Tesla offered to take the lights from yellow to brighter white. I asked Tesla about them (they were coming to work on something on the car), and of couse they said that "those parts are no longer available." It seemed unlikely. I found the technical bulletin for the former upgrade, and it doesn't list a part number or manufacturer. Does anyone know of the proper bulb to just swap this out for a new one, preferably a brighter LED type?

Thanks.
David

do you have the xenon HID upgrade? When your in the housing you can upgrade the Hologen light to HID as well.

Or you could do some quirky mod like I did and leave the parking light disabled - New Roadster owner

do you have the xenon HID upgrade? When your in the housing you can upgrade the Hologen light to HID as well.

Or you could do some quirky mod like I did and leave the parking light disabled - New Roadster owner
i had the Tesla head light update back when it was offered, becasue I found the lights too dim to really be safe here in VT at night with dark roads and deer! I haven't done any of the non-Tesla aftermarkets upgrades some have described

The bulb depends whether your car is stock or had had an upgrade done (as many Roadsters have):
Stock bulbs are even indicated on the clear plastic for the headlights ...
Front turn: PY21W
Front side: W5W
Head High: H9B
Head Low: HB3A
Interior: W5W
Trunk/License Plate: C5W