Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parking Lights Not Turning Off After Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate the sensitivity of the auto headlights so I typically switch to the parking lights on my way to work. They would always turn off once I stopped driving and got out of the car. After doing the recent update last week, the parking lights are no longer turning off. Went into work and came out about an hour later and the lights were still on. Never did this before the recent update.

Any ideas??

Reactions: GSP and Epradox
I actually do the exact same thing and also noticed that they did not automatically shut off either. This was also after the latest update and bug fix. I put in a service request to see if it's a known issue.

Also been noticing recently that newer Tesla's don't seem to run the headlights at all times anymore. Just the parking lights. I like that feature.

Reactions: RedSupraT
I've also noticed something similar.

Typically, I drive with it set to auto. But when I get home later in the evening, I try to switch to parking lights, to minimize how much of my highlights shine into the house across the street (I still have fog lights on, but they're aimed lower). And prior to the latest update (or two?), it would always shut off when I get out and close the doors. But since then, it hasn't done it.... so I've decided to just leave it on auto.

Reactions: GSP and RedSupraT
The issue is that there's a setting for keeping lights on when exiting, so you can keep ANY light on when parked. And this, to me, made more sense to allow the parking light to turn off when exiting if this option is off.
I was mostly joking with my comment, but the option to leave the lights on is only for a few minutes to help you exit the vehicle. If the parking lights do turn off after a few minutes it does kinda defeat the purpose of the original intent of parking lights understanding that almost no one uses parking lights as originally intended decades ago.

Just saying as maybe this was an intentional change rather than a bug because some jurisdiction got upset because the parking lights weren't operating as intended. Who knows?

Last edited:
Reactions: GSP
Seems the latest bug fix may have solved the minor issue. I left the 'parking lights' in today and yesterday and they seem to have shut off as they did before.

I did try a restart with the brake and scroll wheels as well. So that may have also fixed the issue.

🤷‍♂️

I prefer to drive the car with parking lights also (looks waay better IMO), versus the standard daytime running lights.

But now I’m annoyed that the parking lights don’t turn off after exiting the car as well. Should be an easy fix (a timer setting?)
I agree. Its a preference. But I also like the look better. It's the way they've gone on the new models it seems. I see a lot of 3s and Ya with just the parking lights running as DRLs now. I assume 2023 models.

Same issue here a bit. I filed a service request as its still under warranty. Mobile service coming out on 6/5. But the lights stay on and car is not locking. Today wife came out of work and back break lights were lit. When she went in, they did stay on (in error, way past the 5 mins), so I walked her through restarting the computer, this turned the lights off but for reason would not lock the car, so we had to lock via app. When she went in the lights were off, but she thinks they later turned back on.

It's happening more and more.

3 events noted on 5/30/23:

8:22a CST parked and left car, lights on
8:34a returned and saw lights on

10:27a, parked and left car, lights on
10:28a, opened door, sat on seat, pressed break, then came back out, lights off

12:25p, parked and left car, lights on
12:26p, opened door and closed, lights still on
12:26p, opened door, sat inside, pressed break, released
12:27p, opened door, got out
12:27p, closed door, lights off

Attached are images from 2nd event.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-31 at 11.26.48.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-31 at 11.26.48.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 138
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-05-31 at 11.26.54.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-31 at 11.26.54.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 22
Try this setting. (From Owners Manual). Not clear if this applies when lights are turned on manually and not in AUTO

Headlights After Exit
When “Headlights after Exit” is on, the exterior headlights remain on when you stop driving and park Model Y in low lighting conditions. They automatically turn off after one minute or when Model Y locks. When off, headlights turn off when you engage Park and open a door.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Lights > Headlights after Exit.

Try this setting. (From Owners Manual). Not clear if this applies when lights are turned on manually and not in AUTO

Headlights After Exit
When “Headlights after Exit” is on, the exterior headlights remain on when you stop driving and park Model Y in low lighting conditions. They automatically turn off after one minute or when Model Y locks. When off, headlights turn off when you engage Park and open a door.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Lights > Headlights after Exit.
Worth a shot to see if we could 'trick the computer'

I was mostly joking with my comment, but the option to leave the lights on is only for a few minutes to help you exit the vehicle. If the parking lights do turn off after a few minutes it does kinda defeat the purpose of the original intent of parking lights understanding that almost no one uses parking lights as originally intended decades ago.

Just saying as maybe this was an intentional change rather than a bug because some jurisdiction got upset because the parking lights weren't operating as intended. Who knows?

Legally this makes the most sense that when parking lights are toggled on they should remain on. However when you having parking lights on and go into drive, they automatically switch to auto. It should also go the other way around where if you have parking lights on in drive, they should automatically switch to auto when you park. Then if you toggle parking lights on manually after you’re in park, they can stay on indefinitely.

It’s weird because I ran with my parking lights on and forgot to turn them off, sentry mode kicked off at 20% and when I got back to my car a day later, parking lights were still on and the car was at like 10%. Guess they’ll just kill your battery if you want them to.

It also does this with full headlights on manual too and never turns them off

But I am thinking that you’re right and this was an intentional change and not a bug. Maybe the dot made them do it if they’re testing out matrix functions or something… hmm…

Reactions: GSP and yblaser
I prefer to drive the car with parking lights also (looks waay better IMO), versus the standard daytime running lights.

But now I’m annoyed that the parking lights don’t turn off after exiting the car as well. Should be an easy fix (a timer setting?)
Yes I’m quoting myself…

How about an alert or door chime to remind that lights or parking lights are still on? Again - easy setting/fix.