Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Parcel Shelf? Do you need/want it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still want it, in part because when I go golfing I have my clubs, etc. in the back and would like to have them covered. Also was curious to see how it impacts the performance of the Sound Studio package. I wonder if part of the reason it is taking so long is because they are redesigning it, so that it does lift up when you open the trunk. Dare we be so fortunate.

ala the panamera - really need that to rise when opening the hatchback

I got one with my car (it was free for the Sigs, although many don't have it yet), and I'm glad I have it. Looks neater, hides stuff in the back, etc. Perhaps it helps with the sound of music, although I haven't tried moving it around to see. It's true you can hide stuff in the frunk or the footwell, but neither area is as convenient (especially since we have the Lloyds mats that cover the footwell).

That said, it's not perfect, and I wouldn't pay $250 for it. The other day I sat in the back seat while my wife was driving and tried it on and off; I didn't notice a significant difference in road noise. It doesn't raise with the hatch, so it's always in the way and you have to fold it back most of the time you want to get back there. It's easy to fold and remove, but putting it back on is kind of fussy.

Last edited:
I definitely want the parcel shelf for security/privacy reasons. Has anyone received an estimate from their DS as to when the parcel shelf is likely to be delivered to most of us who have it on our due bills? Was the shortage of parcel shelves due to a problem with one of Tesla's suppliers?

More pics. Here is it in place:

IMG_5345.JPG

And here it is folded back (you just push it back, and pull it forward - it folds and unfolds itself - very easy):

IMG_5347.JPG

And here it is taken off and sitting on the floor:

IMG_5346.JPG

My original thread title was exactly the question I wanted to ask: What is it like living without a parcel shelf? There have been other threads on whether you want or need one. My hypothesis is that most folks who have received their cars ordered the parcel shelf. But because they are not shipping yet we have a unique opportunity to ask people who want the parcel shelf what is it like without one? Could you live without it now that you've had the experience or do you still feel it is a necessity? This was the intent of my starting this thread, not the title it has been changed to or to where the thread may have drifted.

I would appreciate the thread title being reinstated as originally worded. Thank you.

Agreed about the title change. I got a bit confused while reading through this thread with the original title in my mind.

I should point out that my car was an early one (VIN 112); and there have been rumors posted here (though I've never heard anything from a Tesla employee myself) that the reason nobody's getting one is that they are redesigning it and getting a new supplier. So my pics may be nothing like what you may get from Tesla later.

Sigh. I just read in another thread that "a Tesla service guy told me that the audio system sounds much better with the parcel shelf in place, because it better tunes the acoustics of the rear of the cabin. Note that there are speakers in the hatch under the rear glass."

As I'm a bit of an audiophile, this trumps my opinion that it looks dumb. Now at least it serves a purpose and is justifiable to get. lol. Also read that it dampens the pressure buffering effect and thus serves a two-food purpose to me now. I guess I'll order it. Is it always grey or does it match the color of the seats? (tan or black for Tan interior?)