Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to the standard Model Y parcel shelf? Its trash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Mrklaw

Mar 5, 2020
Berkshire
I'm glad they put something there to hide the contents from view, but its horrible. its so low and forward that the actual opening isn't that much more than the model 3, but the design is so bad it doesn't stay folded back when you want more open space access.

Is there an alternative - eg a retractable soft cover like a rollerblind style, or even just a hard version that can easily fold back and stay there? I've seen a few online but they all seem to be for cars that don't already have a parcel shelf so I'm guessing the stick-on bits won't fit the newer model

I have seen a few aftermarket cargo covers. Google or Amazon search should find some. I was waiting for the factory one to become available to retrofit to my Model Y. LOL, I guess I need to take another look at the third party ones.

GSP

No big deal. The shelf is made to hide things like a laptop, not a Christmas tree. If it was higher some would bitch because it blocks the back window.

When I've need more room I put the cover in the back seat.

I've had the soft retractable cover on other cars. They typically go on the garage shelf shortly after buying the car and stay there until selling the car.

Reactions: Midpack
My understanding is there have been two revisions of the parcel shelf.
The first iteration for Q2/Q3 2022 MYs is indeed trash. It has two folds and doesn't stay folded.

The second version equips 2023 models and has three folds. It holds much better.

Here is the 2022 rubbish version

And this is the 2023 improved version that you can fold like this :

I have the 2023 version and it seriously restricts what you can see out of the back window. Poor design.
Is this a wind up? Because unless you’re leaving the parcel shelf folded up while driving then it is nowhere near blocking the back window.

I have the later version with three folding points and it works just fine once you realise (like in the latter video posted above) to push it up from the centre underneath first and then it can be folded right out of the way for loading. What a lot of people don’t realise also is that the whole thing can be stored down behind the rear seats when the boot is full, which is a great feature for when you still want the shelf in the car (for holidays etc) but need temporary maximum storage space.

Ok line is three fold I hadn’t noticed as the middle fold isn’t visible from the top.

It pushes back down behind the seats well but fiddly to bring back. *almost* can just retract but needs a pile or something across the back to act as a pivot point when pulling up from the back..

My understanding is there have been two revisions of the parcel shelf.
The first iteration for Q2/Q3 2022 MYs is indeed trash. It has two folds and doesn't stay folded.

The second version equips 2023 models and has three folds. It holds much better.

Here is the 2022 rubbish version

And this is the 2023 improved version that you can fold like this :
Last I heard, Texas cars are still coming with the old crappy version. Anyone know if the side rails are the same between the two? If so, it's just a matter of buying the shelf portion.

Reactions: dragoon9988
It looks like you can buy the new? parcel shelf version off the Tesla app for $85 but for me it says its not compatible with my 2023 (built oct 2022). Has anyone else tried?

Edit - fucj it I'm going to buy it and see if it works with the old style. My parcel shelf is such a piece of *sugar*

I'm just now realising how awful the rear parcel shelf is on the Y. It's really just a terrible piece of design (if indeed anyone actually designed it).

I remember back in circa 2012, I had a BMW 5 series estate that had a really nice motorised retracting thing that would automatically move out the way and give you good access to the entire boot area. Even basic estate/large hatchback cars from other manufacturers have a roll-out blind that can be easily retracted to put things in and out. This one on the Y is just a semi rigid slab of carpeted board that won't even lift up easily unless you reach into the car and lift the lip up where is meets the back of the rear seats. That's not easy to do if you're holding anything at the time. And Tesla want £360 for it!

So, I'm thinking of one of these:

1704150052085.png

Anyone have any experience of it?

I think the reason Tesla used the solid piece of ** vs a roller shelf is acoustics.

As I mentioned above, it really depends if you have an earlier 2 fold OEM parcel shelf or a more recent (mid23?) 3-fold one. The former is utter trash and unpractical, the latter is slightly more convenient and easy to retract and move around.

I think the reason Tesla used the solid piece of ** vs a roller shelf is acoustics.

As I mentioned above, it really depends if you have an earlier 2 fold OEM parcel shelf or a more recent (mid23?) 3-fold one. The former is utter trash and unpractical, the latter is slightly more convenient and easy to retract and move around.
I have the more recent three-fold design, but it's still not a great design. I've now bought a parcel shelf like the one I linked to above (got it open box but unused for £50). However, it looks like the stick-on mounting points are not quite right for later spec cars that have the lip for the OEM shelf, so it might be going up on the "For Sale" section!