Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painted perspective zebra crossings... Facepalm or brilliant?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Painting crossing zebras as realistic 3d objects. (or.... is it a conspiracy by the LIDARati ?)

Town in Iceland Paints 3D Zebra Crosswalk To Slow Down Speeding Cars

3D-pedestrian-crossing-island-2-59f03455342f2__880.jpg

3D-pedestrian-crossing-island-59f0352da431b__880.jpg

I can just imagine a waymo car sitting there just mulling it over for like half an hour, a Tesla car swerving to avoid, etc.

Maybe falls under the same category as STOP-sign t-shirts or biking vests with "MAX SPEED 10" signs printed on the back ^_^

But beyond the humour, I also think it could startle semi-distracted drivers into false-positive emergency breakings and swerves as they try to avoid the boxes instinctively.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I’ve always thought a downside of lidar-less systems that doesn’t use wide parallax was easy fooling into misprocessing such images, whether forced perspective art or accidental illusions. Without more experience I would have instinctively placed front and back cameras in pairs around a foot apart or more (maybe even one in each A pillar), to do some hard pre-processing for edge, distance and vector extraction, in order to give some extra useful bits to the NN