Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Painted my Headlights! DIY [Video] + lots of photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Decided to crack open my headlights again and do the projector retrofit to the G5-BRT projectors. I'd highly recommend doing this mod if you decide to do the headlight de-chrome. While opening the butyl was far easier than the OEM perma-seal it was significantly more messy and sticky. Highly recommend the G5 bracket and G5-BRT projectors from lightwerkz. Pretty much a plug and play affair while still being able to use stock ballast/igniters and bulbs. While the install is fairly straight forward there were some gotcha moments that n2siast was extremely helpful giving info on how he overcame certain things. If anyone decides to tackle this DIY I'm glad to pay it forward with some tips/tricks for the install. Output is significantly more defined and colorful than stock well worth the $220 that I should have just done the first time I had the headlights opened up.
IMG_7434-XL.jpg

I did that customization with the paints suggested, its been great looking but only first year. After now 4 years since the customization I have lots of big bubbles on the black paint from the sun exposure, so it's time to do it again. Looking at the new revision it looks much better. Sadly author doesnt share the product used for whitish look so this time I am gonna try to use epoxy coatings instead of regular paint but will have to experiment with the addons...

1000000769.jpg
1000000770.jpg

Mine looks kinda funny tbh, the bubbles didnt explode but I love v2 so I am going to experiment with epoxy resin to see if I can make diffusing white coat on the transparent part, for the black I am gonna try black poliuretan coat. In general these resins can survive higher temperatures.