Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Paint Protection - Best Value?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the above on the mud flaps being exceptional value focused. They certainly help and are value focused considering price and only having to screw onto existing hardware on car. Try these: https://amzn.to/3SJVmph

But, by far, the best value paint protection is Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. When I got my car, I put on two coats of the stuff. It lasted 6 months and made washes a breeze (dirt comes right off with water and pressure). I've owned the car a year @7500 miles and have since put on two more coats. Still have about 2 coats left in the bottle. The car objectively still looks brand new. Here: https://amzn.to/3QkC7kC

Reactions: HellsKitchen
I hate to break it to you, but those "hybrid" or "spray on" ceramic products have very minimal amount of Silicon dioxide, SiO2 (silica) that does not last more than a few weeks if you only drive on sunny days. After just a few rain dais, your "coat" is gone, and needs to be reapplied.
Also, ceramic coating (even the one that lasts a few years) does not offer any impact damage protection. They are designed to offer temporary protection against bird poop or any other harmful liquid type contaminant.

Mudflaps on front to protect the rear quarters and also, by far the best value - keeping a good following distance from other cars/trucks in front of you. I call this behavioral paint protection lol. DIY ceramic coating might help against fine debris, but it wont stop the big stuff like PPF.
I hear that it's hit or miss whether or not the Ys come with mudflats. This is a good idea!

I agree with the above on the mud flaps being exceptional value focused. They certainly help and are value focused considering price and only having to screw onto existing hardware on car. Try these: https://amzn.to/3SJVmph

But, by far, the best value paint protection is Turtle Wax's Hybrid Ceramic Wax. When I got my car, I put on two coats of the stuff. It lasted 6 months and made washes a breeze (dirt comes right off with water and pressure). I've owned the car a year @7500 miles and have since put on two more coats. Still have about 2 coats left in the bottle. The car objectively still looks brand new. Here: https://amzn.to/3QkC7kC
Thanks! Ordering now.

Reactions: journey.w.vic
I hate to break it to you, but those "hybrid" or "spray on" ceramic products have very minimal amount of Silicon dioxide, SiO2 (silica) that does not last more than a few weeks if you only drive on sunny days. After just a few rain dais, your "coat" is gone, and needs to be reapplied.
Also, ceramic coating (even the one that lasts a few years) does not offer any impact damage protection. They are designed to offer temporary protection against bird poop or any other harmful liquid type contaminant.
So, wrap only, then?

PPF is the best bet, higher initial cost but last longer, but even with PPF there still chances of impact damage. I found couple of minor damage to the PPF, not through the paint after few years. I replaced the PPF on the hood.

I've decided against wrapping the new Y, mostly because of sticker shock.

What's my best value paint protection / wax / spray-on paint protection, helping to keep the car looking new type thing?

Picking up the car tomorrow and I want to get ready.
Best Value Would BE PPF for Protection against the Hazards on the Road, as far as waxes etc, Go with a Ceramic Coating. Don't get a 10 year coating just incase you sell the car, or something happens and you want to wrap it to change color etc. Id go with the 5 year.

Thanks! Ordering now.
Be careful with that Turtle Wax product. Especially on Black Paint. I wouldnt use ANY and I Mean ANY spray on products. Get the good stuff like EXO from Gtechniq if you are doing it yourself, CSL is great too. If you were to use a Spray Product, use C2 by Gtechniq. Very Very easy to apply, no streaks like turtle wax. Trust me, i made that mistake. You can thank me later!

Reactions: HellsKitchen
Be careful with that Turtle Wax product. Especially on Black Paint. I wouldnt use ANY and I Mean ANY spray on products. Get the good stuff like EXO from Gtechniq if you are doing it yourself, CSL is great too. If you were to use a Spray Product, use C2 by Gtechniq. Very Very easy to apply, no streaks like turtle wax. Trust me, i made that mistake. You can thank me later!
What about Ceramic Boost by XPEL? It was recommended by my Ceramic installer.