Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P90D Insane & P90D Ludicrous Traction Battery Stickers - Reveal & Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well at present, TM is NOT offering a P90D non ludicrous to P90D Ludicrous upgrade. However, I did take photos of a few 90D traction packs stickers and the 90D, P90D and P90DL all seem to share the exact same part number. If I were you, I would call Tesla inside sales, ask for a manager and ask them to ask someone in the know. That is what I would do.

Like you I am about to pull the trigger on a P90D with the L option. Hoping for a Late March delivery.

that's odd. that would just be a software switch and free $$$$ to them....
We can't assume that will stay that way forever. It really depends on if Tesla has set a policy that they will just install packs with the necessary hardware indefinitely or if this is just something they are doing temporarily to make the production line run smoother.

Where exactly is the sticker I need to take a picture of?

Inside the rear of the front passenger wheel well. Turn your wheels all the way to the left, you'll see the sticker on the battery pack. We're looking for the description text above all the other information, similar to "ASY,HV BATTERY..."

P90D Insane & P90D Ludicrous Traction Battery Stickers - Reveal & Questions

Inside the rear of the front passenger wheel well. Turn your wheels all the way to the left, you'll see the sticker on the battery pack. We're looking for the description text above all the other information, similar to "ASY,HV BATTERY..."

Thanks. Hope this helps.
3ae7b1f5b7327a43e13c8c7f0cff3cf8.jpg

Last edited:
So do all the 90 packs come with the new smart fuse and the 85 come with the older design?
We really do not know this for sure. What we know, is that the 90D and P90D and P90DL all have the same traction pack part number. If they all have the same fuse system is still in question. Apparently there is a hatch under the battery pack that is new to this battery. Some think that the fuse access is behind that hatch... again that is not really known for sure. Perhaps others here may know more about this.

Regarding the 85 pack, I have not seen an 85D or P85D delivered to my local SC since the 90 came out. I am not sure if it has the old traction pack or the newer design pack. I have been on the lookout for the P8D and 85D but it appears no one in CT is ordering them or they slip by before I can get on my tummy and take a picture.

70D and 90D and P90D are in the total majority here.

Last edited:
So do all the 90 packs come with the new smart fuse and the 85 come with the older design?

In another thread it was reported that 85 packs were also now being produced with the new fuses and contactors. The poster had been told this by someone at a service center, I believe.

Edit: Found the post--

I heard that even the new 85 kWh batteries now contain the new gen contactors and fuse. This was confirmed by someone working at a SeC.
This hardware is probably more reliable (MTBF) and, if available in volume, is probably cheaper to use in all batteries.