Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85D "Unable to Charge" at Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doubt it. You cant workmanship test or verify functionality of every subassy/unit at the system level. So, where do you draw the line for testing production models? My guess is safety related features...
Charging would seem to be a pretty critical feature of an EV. I guess akin to verifying you can actually put gas in an ICE.

Honestly, while the QA problems on my car were all minor issues -- there were several, and they all should have been very obvious at the factory.
I doubt there was any QA done on my car at all.
I am assuming that because of the craziness that happened around the seat issue, QA just did not happen.

That said, I am still very happy with the car, and Tesla promised to fix the issues I found.

The Silver Bullet went in for service on Monday Jan 12 to figure out the Supercharger issue and was returned to me today. Service determined that the cars "Wiring Harness" used for Supercharging has a fault and could not be repaired. They disabled the Supercharging portion in the car and have ordered parts from Fremont and will book me back in for service in a week or so. Have to say that although I was initially upset that I experienced this charging issue with a brand new P85D, the local Toronto Lawrence Avenue Service Centre team has done a fantastic job of communicating with me through this and I really appreciate the door to door Valet service of shuttling me a loaner P85 then returning my car to me. Will post back when I get the fix and test it at the Toronto Supercharger.

This is a very common scene with Tesla Motors... EXCELLENT customer service. The Supercharger issue is a bit maddening, not sure why it wasn't just plugged in at the Freemont SC since it's feet from there loading facility... but then again plugging in every car to check charging on something that almost never faults may not be cost efficient Glad to see they are on it... not surprised though. Tesla has some of the, if not the, best service in the business.

I'm baffled how this gets through quality control. Sounds like this was a failure straight from the factory floor. Does Tesla not actually test super charging capacity before releasing the car? It's been 30 months since the first car rolled off the line...this should not be have happened.
The ironic thing is the Toronto location has Superchargers there. Now maybe they will check if all is functioning for each new delivery.

Charging would seem to be a pretty critical feature of an EV. I guess akin to verifying you can actually put gas in an ICE.

But it wasn't a charging problem, it was specifically a supercharging problem. At the pack level there's likely some functional to make sure it will take a supercharge since it is such a complex system, but the harness probably just gets built to an approved process and then tossed on a shelf. That's a reasonable mode of production IMHO.

Also, while likely, its supposition to identify the factory as the source of the failure.

Honestly John, for the few minutes it would take, I agree, it should be part of their delivery protocol...they could easily check it out on the live SC prior to the customer picking the vehicle up...loads of goodwill for Tesla if they did this...

The ironic thing is the Toronto location has Superchargers there. Now maybe they will check if all is functioning for each new delivery.

You mean "when", not "if", right? :smile:

I should have checked our D out when we picked it up, but it was pouring rain, and we just wanted to get home as we knew the trip back would be in very bad weather & roads conditions, and it was getting late.

My wife will be trying our D's first Supercharging session at the sustainability conference in Woodstock next week...fingers crossed all will go ok...the dog house is might cold at this time 'o year... :biggrin:

Right. And worse, Supercharging is most likely to be used when on a trip. So you take the car off into the unknown for the very first time and it strands you? That's about as frustrating as it gets for a new owner.

If you take delivery at Fremont they stick your car on the Supercharger before they hand over the keys (or they used to at least, I arrived early as mine was being pulled off the charger). I guess that doesn't happen for cars going elsewhere.