Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 vs P85+ and other first impressions from a non-sports-car-guy (long, w/pics)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did own a BMW 1M. One of the best handling cars in the world. 19" wheels... Truly dont understand 21" for anything but looks. Also strange with airsuspension on the +... Add some Öhlins instead. ;-) As I will never use mine for trackdays I see no need for the +. I might have considered it if allowed to go 19". I would say 285 staggered setup would do way more for acceleration but guess they would not fit... That or 4*4. To me it seems tesla have done a very smart packaging to get max revenue out of the different options. Nothing bad but the configuratuon is made to get you to max out the options... ;-) extra equipment very seldom pay back when sold. My config is a maxed out P85 on 19"... Hard to resist. ;-) good business for Tesla as the USD is very low vs the SEK. I will use the 19" and Nokkia Hakka for winter. Then maybe go vossen for summer.

To your point, Hybris, I am not coming from a performance car, and I most likely would have been perfectly happy with an 85... But then I *drove* the P85+ (big mistake but smart marketing) and then I spent a lot of time on this forum (perhaps another big mistake) and read how the majority of posters gushed about the plus, and, well, here I am. And I couldn't be happier.

Just goes to support all the psychological research on confirmation bias which says that we are good at justifying what we want to. :)

+1 to the initial poster. FYI my test drive was a P85 non-plus w 21" wheels. Definitely more sway in the twisties (think freeway on-ramps) than my P85+. Coming from an M5 I enjoy the 'planted' feel the Plus provides. But I also agree the Plus is slightly louder at freeway speeds and you feel the pothole bumps a bit more than the non-plus, so it definitely depends on your priorities. For me it's perfect.

+1 to the initial poster. FYI my test drive was a P85 non-plus w 21" wheels. Definitely more sway in the twisties (think freeway on-ramps) than my P85+. Coming from an M5 I enjoy the 'planted' feel the Plus provides. But I also agree the Plus is slightly louder at freeway speeds and you feel the pothole bumps a bit more than the non-plus, so it definitely depends on your priorities. For me it's perfect.

I know it is hard to quantify but how much louder is "slightly louder at freeway speeds"? Would the tire roar get annoying or unbearable if you were using this as your daily driver for a long commute?

I know it is hard to quantify but how much louder is "slightly louder at freeway speeds"? Would the tire roar get annoying or unbearable if you were using this as your daily driver for a long commute?

Don't know if you'll get an answer you would find useful here. A lot of people who order the P+ are coming from performance cars that sacrifice a quiet and comfortable ride to the god of handling. They'll have different ideas on what constitutes a "loud" or "harsh" ride.

Personally, I have a few concerns about the P+ that are keeping me from pulling the trigger sight unseen (like Sundy, I won't be coming from a high performance car):

1) Ride comfort - There's only one road out of the town where I live and my last two cars have been nearly unbearable to drive on it, so I'm worried I'll find the Plus the same and be kicking myself for not getting a more comfortable trim.

2) Staggered tires - This is more of a nit than a real concern. Not being able to rotate the tires (and thus not being able to maximize the life of those $500+ Pilots) is annoying. But a thousand dollars a year for tires won't break me (I hope :redface:)

3) Cost - The P+ pack will push my car over the $130K mark, but I'm already getting all the prerequisite options so I'll probably be kicking myself if I don't get it.

I'd definitely want to drive one before committing. Hopefully, one of the Canadian showrooms will have one I can test come Spring when the snow's gone.

No. There really isn't that big a difference (if any). The BIG difference is in the suspension and handling. My P+ sticks to the pavement like cement--just incredible. It's a daily car easy, and looks awesome BTW :cool:

To your point, Hybris, I am not coming from a performance car, and I most likely would have been perfectly happy with an 85... But then I *drove* the P85+ (big mistake but smart marketing) and then I spent a lot of time on this forum (perhaps another big mistake) and read how the majority of posters gushed about the plus, and, well, here I am. And I couldn't be happier.

Just goes to support all the psychological research on confirmation bias which says that we are good at justifying what we want to. :)

Funny! I know the feeling. I come from BMW M and alpina. The 1M is extremely good in handling. Better than a panamera that many compare the Tesla with. But I dont see me bashing track days with the car. And supercar handling as probably a big overstatement. Not saying its not good. i drove a p85+ as my demo and liked it. But want the + with other wheels... Hate that I get forced to go for the Tesla wheels... When its obviously no issue when puttint the 19" on for winter...

Don't know if you'll get an answer you would find useful here. A lot of people who order the P+ are coming from performance cars that sacrifice a quiet and comfortable ride to the god of handling. They'll have different ideas on what constitutes a "loud" or "harsh" ride.

Personally, I have a few concerns about the P+ that are keeping me from pulling the trigger sight unseen (like Sundy, I won't be coming from a high performance car):

1) Ride comfort - There's only one road out of the town where I live and my last two cars have been nearly unbearable to drive on it, so I'm worried I'll find the Plus the same and be kicking myself for not getting a more comfortable trim.

2) Staggered tires - This is more of a nit than a real concern. Not being able to rotate the tires (and thus not being able to maximize the life of those $500+ Pilots) is annoying. But a thousand dollars a year for tires won't break me (I hope :redface:)

3) Cost - The P+ pack will push my car over the $130K mark, but I'm already getting all the prerequisite options so I'll probably be kicking myself if I don't get it.

I'd definitely want to drive one before committing. Hopefully, one of the Canadian showrooms will have one I can test come Spring when the snow's gone.

@Mayhemm thanks for responding. It's a very subjective thing, and although I like to consider myself a performance junkie, I also have to live with the car as a daily driver on a long commute (~100 mile RT). I test drove the P85 and P85+ back to back. The ride quality on both is admirable. Very good! I don't think the extra road feel (some may perceive this as ride harshness) would bother me at all. However, I did notice some additional tire roar on the P85+ at freeway speed (to be expected with beefier rubber) and wonder if it would get old. It was a very short test drive, so I'm looking for some more opinions.

No. There really isn't that big a difference (if any). The BIG difference is in the suspension and handling. My P+ sticks to the pavement like cement--just incredible. It's a daily car easy, and looks awesome BTW :cool:

@texex91 your enthusiasm is contagious. The handling improvement of the + is definitely tempting. If it's truly daily car easy, as you say, then I'm in serious trouble ;)

What sucks is that I have never raced cars before. Now that I have A MSP I race the local autocross & hillclimb and the + wasn't available last December.
Wider wheels make a HUGE difference but I wonder how much the suspension changes would help...but alas, my car was 'cheap' compared to the S' of today

I'll be honest, Tex's confidence in his + has been slowly chipping away at me since I joined this forum. Coming from the suspension of a 2012 R8, I'm constantly wishing for more in my P85. You may see my VIN # change here soon..

I'll be honest, Tex's confidence in his + has been slowly chipping away at me since I joined this forum. Coming from the suspension of a 2012 R8, I'm constantly wishing for more in my P85. You may see my VIN # change here soon..

Same here. I'm slowly inching towards the "+". Can't help it!

Sometimes its easier to just do it rather then struggling and thinking about it :)

Boy, I wish it were that easy. I tend to agonize over these kinds of decisions and research them to death.

I've pretty much decided to get a P85+ myself at this point. :scared: I'm already in for everything else (P85, wheels, ride, tech), so I figure I might as well.

The only things that can stop it now are if I find the ride too harsh (currently attempting to set up a test drive in one for later this month) or if my financial situation changes drastically in the next quarter (loan denied, job lost, etc).

Gods help me, I'm well and truly into it now!

I've pretty much decided to get a P85+ myself at this point. :scared: I'm already in for everything else (P85, wheels, ride, tech), so I figure I might as well.

The only things that can stop it now are if I find the ride too harsh (currently attempting to set up a test drive in one for later this month) or if my financial situation changes drastically in the next quarter (loan denied, job lost, etc).

The ride is not harsh at all. Well, maybe compared to a land yacht Lexus LS, but not to normal (european) cars. I just drove 414 miles in my P85+ yesterday, according to my wife it's the most comfortable car she's ever been driven a long distance in. She usually gets car-sick, but not in the Tesla. Probably because the car is planted to the road instead of swaying everywhere.

The seats are also really great for long drives.

Do it before you can't--you will NOT regret getting the +. If you like the R8, you have to get the plus. Smooth for everyday driving, yet confident when it's needed (which is everyday).

Same here. I'm slowly inching towards the "+". Can't help it!

Boy, I wish it were that easy. I tend to agonize over these kinds of decisions and research them to death.

Don't think it through too much--something is telling you to get the +--listen to the voices!

The ride is not harsh at all. Probably because the car is planted to the road instead of swaying everywhere.

Not even close to harsh--very smooth and super comfortable. The 21" give you the grip you need, and the suspension and handling are just like butter. Super planted car--I hate that sway in cars. Congrats on your +, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

The ride is not harsh at all. Well, maybe compared to a land yacht Lexus LS, but not to normal (european) cars. I just drove 414 miles in my P85+ yesterday, according to my wife it's the most comfortable car she's ever been driven a long distance in. She usually gets car-sick, but not in the Tesla. Probably because the car is planted to the road instead of swaying everywhere.

The seats are also really great for long drives.

@jkirkebo Awesome on the road trip! I'm sure the roads in Norway are glass smooth...How is the road noise/tire roar?

- - - Updated - - -

Do it before you can't--you will NOT regret getting the +. If you like the R8, you have to get the plus. Smooth for everyday driving, yet confident when it's needed (which is everyday).

Don't think it through too much--something is telling you to get the +--listen to the voices!

Not even close to harsh--very smooth and super comfortable. The 21" give you the grip you need, and the suspension and handling are just like butter. Super planted car--I hate that sway in cars. Congrats on your +, I'm glad you are enjoying it!

@texex91: Do you get a commission on every + sold? If not, you should. You're probably the best +Evangelist. Every time I talk myself out of "needing" a +, you bring me right back around...

@texex91: Do you get a commission on every + sold? If not, you should. You're probably the best +Evangelist. Every time I talk myself out of "needing" a +, you bring me right back around...

I'll try and make it very easy for you...cut and paste.

Your new signature:

P85+ | Blue | Black Leather | Piano Black | Rear Facing Seats | 21" | Air | Performance | Tech