Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P85 loses grip off the line when I floor it. Do I need wider rims?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I'd say i'm a fairly aggressive driver and I love to floor the pedal when the light hits green.
Problem I been having is my P85 with 19" rims seems to have too much power as I lose grip on the road and skid or peel when I floor it.
What's the best way to reduce this issue? Would getting a staggered rim set up help? OR Do I just need wider rims in general?
What is the current width of the 19" rims? I have the new Primacy Tires.

Thanks guys.

Emil.

Hi guys,

I'd say i'm a fairly aggressive driver and I love to floor the pedal when the light hits green.
Problem I been having is my P85 with 19" rims seems to have too much power as I lose grip on the road and skid or peel when I floor it.
What's the best way to reduce this issue? Would getting a staggered rim set up help? OR Do I just need wider rims in general?

Thanks guys.

Emil.

AFAIK wider tires help with cornering but not with accelerating/braking in a straight line.

I'd recommend getting a stickier (summer) tire when it's time to replace the Michelin Primacy's. Perhaps the Michelin Pilot Super Sport. Although there are trade offs, such as not being able to drive with them in cold or snow and increased tread wear.

Agree with mnx. The all seasons just aren't made for that kind of driving. Maybe buy the cyclone rims and get the pilot super sports he mentioned? Then keep all seasons for winter or get winter tires if you needed them.

Hi guys,

Thanks guys.

Emil.

Or trade it in for a P85+ with 21"--that might help as well :biggrin:

AMPED Realtor - How's the car? I know you had a ton of issues with a brand new S, just curious. PM me.

Hi guys,

Thanks guys.

Emil.

OEM 19" Goodyears. It's not normally this bad, but this pavement is rather uneven/soft etc. This is with TC on, it felt like it fully cut out power for a decent amount of time. :)
Tesla Teaser - YouTube

dude I'm right there with you. also have stock 19" OEM goodyears on my P85. they don't fully grip on pedal to the metal from a stop which triggers the traction control and cuts out the acceleration until the grip restores.

You regularly floor your accelerator when the light turns green at an intersection?

yeah, what's wrong with that? why else would you buy a P85? at least you don't have the loud roar of an exhaust to alert the world of your ability to instantly accelerate. there's no laws that I'm aware of that say you can't accelerate past a given rate. just max speed.

Great video mnx! That's exactly what happens to me when I floor it. I'd love to reduce the peeling so that I can accelerate faster off the line.
I'm going to try driving without the Traction Control engaged. Perhaps this may help?
I'm also looking to purchase 20" aftermarket wheels and rubber for next summer and keep my current 19" as winter wheels.
I'd love to put 22" rims on this car as it looks deadly with them but too many people on this forum are saying they get some rub on the fenders with 22" wheels.

Emil.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah, what's wrong with that? why else would you buy a P85? at least you don't have the loud roar of an exhaust to alert the world of your ability to instantly accelerate. there's no laws that I'm aware of that say you can't accelerate past a given rate. just max speed.

AMEN!
I got me a P85 so I can tear up the streets. Obviously I try and be as safe and careful as possible.

Answer to your 1st question: it's not safe

Answer to your 2nd question: I bought my P85 so that I had good, hard acceleration when I needed it, not to launch from green lights in order to show off to the other drivers around me

And yes, there are laws regarding the type of acceleration we are talking about here as well as racing on public roadways - which is what this could be viewed as by a law enforcement official.

Go and show off all you want at a race track or on a closed road, but not on a public road where you could run over a pedestrian, get hit by someone who inadvertently ran a red light while you were "launching off the line", or any number of random events over which you have no control.