Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100d X Full Charge - 161 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your 22” wheels reduces range 10%.
Check your tires pressures. Should be at least 42psi cold. If you were using AC at lot it can reduce range another 5%. Hills/mountains are also big range reducers. On my MX 100D we usually can only get 245 miles of actual range with 4 adults in the car and driving 75mph.

What was your trip wh/mi?

22s will actually cost you 20%+ range loss (Tesla Model S and Model X: Here’s how wheel size can affect efficiency). In my tests of our 100D Model X with 20s vs. 22s I see almost exactly 22% loss of range with the 22s correcting for temperature.

This will lead to actual range of about 225 miles of range in a P100D ideally with 22s. Not sure what would cause an additional 25%+ range loss if temperatures were not cold.

In similar driving conditions my P100D Model S averages about 350 Whr/mile with 21s. If we use standard difference you should be using about 405 Whr/mile and get a range of about 247 miles.

So there is something amiss here if you are getting a range of 161 miles give or take.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Besides the driving, what was the car doing between home and home?
How many hours between home and home?

(Trying to get a handle on other possible energy use)
It was 8 hours so lot of it was sitting.

I looked and my lifetime average is around 500 wh/mi, I take advantage of the ludicrous mode (not yesterday) so I know I should expect higher but that seems like a lot compared to everyone.

22s will actually cost you 20%+ range loss (Tesla Model S and Model X: Here’s how wheel size can affect efficiency). In my tests of our 100D Model X with 20s vs. 22s I see almost exactly 22% loss of range with the 22s correcting for temperature.

This will lead to actual range of about 225 miles of range in a P100D ideally with 22s. Not sure what would cause an additional 25%+ range loss if temperatures were not cold.

In similar driving conditions my P100D Model S averages about 350 Whr/mile with 21s. If we use standard difference you should be using about 405 Whr/mile and get a range of about 247 miles.

So there is something amiss here if you are getting a range of 161 miles give or take.
Wow, well crap. I love my tires so much but not sure it’s worth the trade off.

478 wH/mi is high. At up to 65mph I usually get rated range. Hell... I pulled a trailer cross country with my X90D and had better efficiency and range than you!

You didnt mention if you had headwinds. Besides speed and elevation they are a major factor. The rest others have mentioned.

22" figure at least 15%
Over 65mph another 10% per 7mph over 65mph
Aggressive acceleration 5%
A/C 5%
Short trips vs one long, uninterrupted trip 5-10%

Those five alone, without headwinds, get you almost the 50% reduction you saw.

Something definitely doesn't add up. As was quoted earlier, you had a total usage of 78.4 kWH. Where the heck did the other 19 or so go? This is one reason that I swapped to using % instead of miles BTW. Your car said 11 miles, but what was the % SOC? I wonder if your computer is just out of whack and reporting bogus numbers because it doesn't know any better.

Something definitely doesn't add up. As was quoted earlier, you had a total usage of 78.4 kWH. Where the heck did the other 19 or so go? This is one reason that I swapped to using % instead of miles BTW. Your car said 11 miles, but what was the % SOC? I wonder if your computer is just out of whack and reporting bogus numbers because it doesn't know any better.

I switched to % on my second day of ownership. :) My wife’s profile is still at miles so it throws me off when she drives.

Everyone suggesting changing to % of Charge instead of Miles knows this is nothing different right? There are basically 3 options for this display:

% of Charge - Self explanatory
Rated - EPA estimate of range for the car x % of Charge
Ideal - Ideal Range (range if driven at a steady 55 mph on level ground at moderate temperatures) x % of Charge

All basically displays the same thing. If Rated is displaying 11 miles remaining, switching the display to % will just display 4% roughly.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Check out this chart based on EPA tests: Tesla Model S/X/3 range at 65/70/75/80 mph

The MX P100D with 20" tires is rated for about 250 miles at 75mph. If you subtract another 20% for using 22" tires, that's about 200 miles of range. If you drove faster than 75mph for a stretch, had headwinds, or idled with AC on, that could explain the remaining drop in range. It doesn't seem that out of the ordinary based on what you've said.

• Informative
Reactions: NewTMSMan
So my first 3 weeks of driving I am averaging around 415 wH/mile. This morning I checked and at 77% battery SOC I had 187 miles of range remaining which equates to 242 miles on 100%. This is mixed use, but 25-30% highway at 75MPH or more.

Check out this chart based on EPA tests: Tesla Model S/X/3 range at 65/70/75/80 mph

That data is really interesting. I compared this data to my actual performance for my Model S P100D on a recent 800 mile trip and it almost exactly matches when I correct the P100D range for 21" vs 19" wheels. I averaged 343 Whr/mile --> 291 Mile range and the expected range, once corrected for wheels for the Model S P100D at 67 MPH is 290 miles.

Everyone suggesting changing to % of Charge instead of Miles knows this is nothing different right? There are basically 3 options for this display:

% of Charge - Self explanatory
Rated - EPA estimate of range for the car x % of Charge
Ideal - Ideal Range (range if driven at a steady 55 mph on level ground at moderate temperatures) x % of Charge

All basically displays the same thing. If Rated is displaying 11 miles remaining, switching the display to % will just display 4% roughly.
Yes I'm aware it's not different, but it also makes it easy to talk about straight percentages. Then there's no questions about EPA rated miles vs actual vs whatever they think they're reading. It's mainly that I prefer to think in terms of % so that I know when I want to charge my car. I prefer to keep my car in the 30 - 70% range if possible, and so I'd like to know when I should occupy a stall at work to charge vs. let someone else take it. It's harder to do that when I see miles, since I have to do the conversion in my head, when optimal SOC values are in terms of %.

Reactions: Kacey Green
Yes I'm aware it's not different, but it also makes it easy to talk about straight percentages. Then there's no questions about EPA rated miles vs actual vs whatever they think they're reading. It's mainly that I prefer to think in terms of % so that I know when I want to charge my car. I prefer to keep my car in the 30 - 70% range if possible, and so I'd like to know when I should occupy a stall at work to charge vs. let someone else take it. It's harder to do that when I see miles, since I have to do the conversion in my head, when optimal SOC values are in terms of %.

Um yeah, except you said:
Your car said 11 miles, but what was the % SOC? I wonder if your computer is just out of whack and reporting bogus numbers because it doesn't know any better.

Which implies that using %SOC would provide a better result than just Rated Range. Not hard to figure out that for any Tesla X 11 miles Rated Range is below 5% SOC (well except maybe 60D...).

Don't disagree with your reasons for using SOC%, but changing to that setting adds nothing to the issue the OP is experiencing, which was my point.

Still no one knows why we experience this almost 20 KWh loss. It’s literally like driving with 10 gallons in the tank.

I'm going to throw this out there too. It is more than coincidental how many people say "75" as their speed when it seems a very decent sized chunk of people go faster than that in what they consider their usual highway driving. I think people are uncomfortable publicly announcing a number higher than that and just think that for getting people's opinions, the word "75" is sufficient enough to convey that it's kind of fast, and they think it won't make any difference if they were really going 79 or 81 mph. But it really does, since the wind resistance force is increasing so fast at those high speeds.

So let's just say that I am overall skeptical that someone is actually going "75" mph when they are getting 478 wh/mile--especially when the person said that they were intentionally hurrying and having to speed because of the time pressure they were under when trying to get to where they were going. So I think there's some underestimating going on for this particular day.