Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

P100D Upgrade pending or typo?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has been posted in another thread already but perhaps gives more credence to recent 90 kwh batteries potentially being software upgradable to 100 kwh (in addition to the increased power output from recent P90D Model X vs "older" P90D Model S)

Tesla Model S and X with 100 kWh battery pack and ‘~380 miles of range’ approved by European authority
I've got it on good word that old 90s will not be upgradeable. The 100 requires changes to the car that have not gone into production yet.

apparently tirerack is willing to sell you some tires for your P100D already.
Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 3.49.24 PM.png

But right now, only for the S and not the X. Which is weird. Of course when/if Tesla releases a 100 battery it will be available in both models. I think.

View attachment 190381

View attachment 190382

That's weird. Doesn't make sense with the higher power output of the new XP90D vs "old" SP90D (DragTimes)...maybe somebody did jump the gun on the website or forgot to include the X.

Yes there will be. You can swap out your 85/90 pack to a 100 - just as you could the 85 to a 90. But it will be expensive... over 20K.

Do you know something or is it speculation? The reason I ask is because there are several 90kW packs currently in production that cannot be attached to a 'classic' Model S. There is speculation that something changed with the electrical system that incorporates a different connection between the pack and the car.

I'm not soo much worried about upgrading from 90kW to 100kW but I would definitely like the ability to purchase a future pack when the additional power/range becomes worthwhile. One thing I was hoping for in the future was that pack prices would go down with the production of the Model 3. I am hoping to see a much less expensive 120kW pack in 3-5 years.

I think we will see a 120 or 125 pack in a couple of years. There are stories out there that the new packaging for the batteries will improve the energy density of the packs 33-40% over the current density.

A lot of people with older cars will want to upgrade then. Even if an older car can't take the current production pack, they might make a pack that can fit in the legacy cars. Similar to the Roadster battery upgrade program.

The Model 3 will be in full production and they will need assurances the GF has extra production capacity to support such a program before Tesla will do it though.

Reactions: Ormond and Model 3