Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owning a Tesla in TX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are considering getting a Tesla, probably a Model S but who knows, and I am trying to get an idea of how owners in Texas have been getting on wiht their roadsters. If you have needed service, where did you get it done, and how difficult was it? how did you go about getting it to Texas, shipped it, drove it etc.

Any insite would be gratly appreciated.

There are about 9 or 10 Roadster owners in Austin I believe. If you order a Roadster, they deliver it to your driveway actually. In terms of service, really the only practical option in Texas is having the Tesla Ranger service people come to your house.

Hey Rath,

I'm in Dallas. When the roadster first came out...I was worried about this too and let the car slide off my radar.

After seeing a couple drive around here and hearing about the end of production, I looked back into it. From what I could tell, the cars seem pretty low in maintenance and the Rangers/Tesla really try to take care of the car.

That eventually eased my mind enough to bite the bullet and place my custom order.

I'm even eyeing the Model S now.

Good luck!

I also hesitated due to the lack of Tesla presence in Texas. I avoided the 1.5 and the 2.0, but when they released the 2.5, I felt that TM had gotten most of the bugs out. Plus, all the owners gave me feedback that TM was very responsive to their needs. The owners told me that warranty work was being done by the Tesla Mobile Rangers, and it was being done for free. I was very concerned that TM had me sign a written agreement that I understood that warranty work was to cost $1/round trip mile for Ranger service. However, so far, TM has not charged me this fee. I think this is a wise move on TM's part, because of their unique position (new company, new technology). That said, owning a Tesla in Texas has not been too much different than owning any other car, except that one offsets the convenience of Ranger "at your home" service with the fact that you have to wait a few days for service. So far, I am lucky in that I have not yet had a problem that immobilized the vehicle, but if I had, the wait would be a huge issue. I have a 2 car household, but we NEED both cars.

Bottom line, I have not had a problem with the drive train. I am satisfied with the service. I really love having an electric car. I am seriously considering replacing the second car (Lexus LS460) with the Model S. And perhaps replacing the Roadster with the Model S performance model. Also, we have a shuttle at work (Dodge Caravan) and that may be replaced with a Model S. All of these conditional on the market at the time of decision making, but obviously, I am not terribly concerned about owning a Tesla in Texas.

P.S. Not only am I impressed with what Elon is doing with Tesla, but his successes with Space-X instill confidence that he will be able to deliver a successful Model S.

I have had minimal problems. (although the stereo head unit was annoying) The only problem I see often is the heat, and that is resolved if you take your time going places. (And trust me you will want to take as much time as you can going places, even as far as going the backroads.)

PlyCar delivers it to your door.

I bought my car used from someone in Dallas who drove it less than 500 miles - basically the car will cool the batteries first before it cools you so the AC may not work too well if you left the car baking in the sun. This is a 2.0 though so maybe it's been addressed in 2.5?

I bought my car used from someone in Dallas who drove it less than 500 miles - basically the car will cool the batteries first before it cools you so the AC may not work too well if you left the car baking in the sun. This is a 2.0 though so maybe it's been addressed in 2.5?

I find that the AC comes on and cools, but switches back and forth at temps over 105F. This happened to me for the first time 2 days ago.

There are about 9 or 10 Roadster owners in Austin I believe. If you order a Roadster, they deliver it to your driveway actually. In terms of service, really the only practical option in Texas is having the Tesla Ranger service people come to your house.

I am dying not having a Roadster yet! However as Course Director for Turkey Trot I'd love to have a Roadster as lead vehicle! Austin is a very green city and we do a lot to keep our town that way. Any current owners willing to lead 19,000 runners on Thanksgiving Day? reply directly to triguy (at)wwdb.org
Chris

Here is a hint from Tesla for driving in hot climate. Was passed by a Tesla driver from Arizona in TM forum.
Charge up your roadster in standard mode. Quarter of an hour before leaving, start charging in range mode.
This will not add any significant amount of charge, or degrade the battery. Instead, the battery is pre-cooled for the trip, saving energy otherwise spent by the AC. Result is, more AC power is left for you.

I have had my 1.5 for 20 months -- A-OK

I bought my Tesla used about 20 months ago and things have worked out fine.

When Tesla Rangers are in town for an emergency for an owner, they are good about performing minor warranty tasks for other area owners.

So far, so good. But, I will breathe easier when Tesla starts delivering Model S vehicles and opens up a service location in Texas.