Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners' Stories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dave,

I've got no problem with it on the track and even closer. There everyone is a professional driver. You can pretty much predict with relative certainty what the person in front of you is going to do. On the streets there are idiots out there !!!! And they have no clue how to drive. Also when you are following a truck that closely you can not see what is comng up in front of him. You have experience on the track so it is a little different for you. For the average Joe on the street it is flat out dangereous !!!! If you are doing this you must be at your full game all of the time. For many people that is more work than it is worth. Besides, in a Roadster I would want to have the top down and be enjoying the scenery and not looking at the back of a truck all day. For a select few it would be fine but for MOST people it is just dangereous. Many times if you are following to closely in our area the guy in front of you will SLAM on his brakes intentionally to get you off his a$$. So I am just saying - be careful with it. Not that it is wrong - just not the safest use of a 100-200 K car :)

Drove to Big Sur today for a little day trip, and to get lunch at Nepenthe.

Originally was slightly range anxious. Google Maps has Nepenthe at 75 miles away from our house, which is 150 miles round trip. Theoretically that should be fine, but it starts leaving little room for error, and I do not yet have the MC240 to get us out of a jam if we have problems. Just to be on the safe side, I charged up in "Range Mode" last evening.

However, we needn't have worried. We took back roads most of the way out of Santa Cruz, and Highway 1 past Carmel is so low-speed that we still had over 100 miles on the range estimator when we got home.

Lots of driver and motorcycle attention in the form of "thumbs up" and big smiles on the way. We stopped a lot on the way down to take many pictures. Had lots of people inquire about the car. Some who had never heard of Tesla before but were just intrigued by the unfamiliar sports car - some who had heard of it, and wanted to know more.

3538167802_4ff91544c5_b_d.jpg

What is Worst Case for this Electric? Fry the Motor? Bake the PEM? Saute the batteries?
That warning is not there for nothing. Electronics hate high temperatures, semiconductors doubly so. Their lifetime considerably shortens if it operates at high temperatures.

I'd bet there is some counter counting such alarms and if PEM dies, TM will check it. If it is over some unknown number, warranty could be void. You are well advised to read the small print.