Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owners' Stories

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I plan on getting good highway range by drafting a big rig about half the time on a long trip. I expect to be able to go 65 mph at the same energy usage of going 50 mph without drafting. Maybe even better.

There's a lot that goes into actual mileage.

Kevin, if range will be tight, you can always slow to 50 mph when there's no big rig to draft. The Roadster gets 30% more range at 50 mph compared with 65 mph. 30%! It's all in JB's blog entry from December.

And if that's not enough, you can get 50% more range by going 42 mph. Or 100% more range by going 20 mph. Of course that would be unsafe on the highway. But you get the idea.

Last edited:
My current EV has only 60 mile range, and so I have done some drives where I had to draft a big rig to make it. Let me tell you, it is not fun to have to do that on a regular basis. The truck you find may pull off, or decide they don't want you on their tail so it becomes a game of "find the next truck" which wears thin quickly.

You don't need to be very close to get the benefits. Check out the Mythbusters test on this. You'd be suprised. I know I was.

myth2.jpg

Based on their results I'm expecting 15% better range at 100 ft following distance, and 20%-25% better range at 50 ft following distance. I'll be interested to do real world testing once I get my Roadster.

Last edited:
...unless it jackknifes, throws some retread, drops something off the back, or runs into some immovable object that you couldn't see ahead of it.

Efficient but not too safe.

Under riding
One of the most deadly type of accident results when trucks lack adequate safeguards on the rear of the truck to prevent vehicles from "underriding." A car underrides a truck when the truck brakes quickly and the car fails to stop before plowing into, and under, the semi - typically shearing off the top of the car. Underrides kill approximately 1,000 persons each year, and all of them are car occupants - only about 2% of those occupants survive the accident. These accidents occur because trucks stop or slow suddenly and the driver of the car is unable to avoid rear-ending the truck.

I'm gonna vote very strongly against drafting.

At 65mph you're traveling at 95 ft. per second. Average human total reaction time (perception plus reaction) at that speed is 0.7 seconds. Thus, even if the semi is just slowing quickly you'll close the distance from 100ft. to 29ft before you even begin to slow and the slowing progress of the semi will be accelerating (IOW, greater deceleration).

Add to that any distraction, inattentiveness, higher speed, whatever and your brand new Tesla is a crumpled aluminum can.

Many hypermilers used to promote tailgaiting/drafting as a technique to improve FE, but it's now universally accepted as an unsafe practice. Most recommendations are to follow no closer than 3 seconds behind the vehicle ahead of you. There are also better ways to maximize FE, even in an EV.

There is Preception time + reaction time .....

Human perception time: The time required for a driver to recognise a potential hazard. This time is assumed to be approximately 0.75 seconds in normal situations
Human reaction time: Once the hazard has been perceived, the driver must respond by applying the brakes. The average reaction time is about 0.75 seconds

so at 1.5 seconds you will have traveled 190 feet and when following at 100 feet that is a slight problem even if you are better than twice the average.

Oh c'mon. When the semi slams on his brakes, he'll be going no more 10 mph slower after 1.5 seconds. You'll be at most 14 feet closer to him at that point, and already slowing faster than him. It's really not a problem.

Driving at the race track 20 feet behind the car in front of me, there was never a problem with that car going to maximum braking right in front of me. In that case I'm anticipating it, so it's a little different, but so is 20 feet different from 50 or 100 feet. And that's with a car in front of me with brakes every good as mine.