Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Owatonna, MN - Here's what a little advocacy can do

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was there today. HPWCs are at 40 amps and I could not get at the Clipper Creek HCS 60 to try that out....ICEd.

This is a great resource, thanks to Holiday Inn, Tesla and Bonnie.

If the HPWC's are offering 40 Amps, but are on 100A circuit breakers and should be offering 80 Amps, then the installer did not set the DIP switches inside the HPWC correctly. The HPWC's are shipped with the DIP switches set for a 50A Circuit Breaker and offer 40 Amps. To set them to offer 80 Amps, requires adjusting the DIP Switches inside the HPWC and cycling the power.

I don't know if these HPWCs are on 100 amp breakers. Cottonwood, did you hear that they are?

I don't know if Tesla puts any pressure on the destinations to get the full 80 amps out the HPWCs, but it is kind of a bummer to see them "under" powered. At a hotel, especially one near a Supercharger, I suppose it will be almost all overnight use. If it were a restaurant or mall, that type of thing, the 80 amps seems more critical to me.

s
If the HPWC's are offering 40 Amps, but are on 100A circuit breakers and should be offering 80 Amps, then the installer did not set the DIP switches inside the HPWC correctly. The HPWC's are shipped with the DIP switches set for a 50A Circuit Breaker and offer 40 Amps. To set them to offer 80 Amps, requires adjusting the DIP Switches inside the HPWC and cycling the power.

I'll reach out to the hotel and see if they know what the lines should be offering.

Exit 45 on I-35 Clinton Falls exit. Cabella's dominates the west side of the Interstate and behind it are the two hotels. As of 11 March the two HPWC were offering 40 Amps @204 volts. The Clipper Ck unit is only 40A according to the label so I only tested the HPWCs. Hope that these are on separate breakers so one could be upped to 80A. This is a very nice installation!!

If you are coming south on I-35 from the Twin Cities you will not see 'Owatonna' on an exit sign for two more exits, so need to remember Clinton Falls, as in 'Clinton falls from grace'. Sorry, if a mnemonic works . . .

If your next stop is the Albert Lea supercharger, be sure to charge plenty since it is a steady climb up to I-90.
--

Stopped by the hotel today to say thanks for putting the chargers in. Darren, the GM, was gone for the day, but Matt, the Mgr. on duty, was very nice happy we were there even though we didn't stay overnight. He said ours was the first Tesla he had seen since the chargers went in (although Plugshare indicates other MSs have stopped there previously). And the big "Electric Car Charging Stations" sign was a godsend: There was a wedding going on, and even though the parking lot is quite large, the lot was packed--except for the three open spots for EV charging!

The two HPWCs and the J1772 charger (I forget the brand) all put out 40 amps at 207 volts, meaning we got about 22mph from all three, something I hadn't seen with J1772 chargers. I asked Matt if he knew what size circuits the HPWCs were on; he called someone who said he thought they were 200-something amps, although that may have been conflation with the voltage. I mentioned that if they determine that the HPWCs have access to 80+ amps they should get the DIP switches in the HPWCs adjusted to take advantage of it.

Many thanks to Tesla, Holiday Inn, Bonnie, and Henry Sharp (for the HPWC to Roadster adapter!). All three were ICE'd when we arrived but Matt quickly got license plates to track down the owners. He said that a Model S had been there earlier that same day. The wife and I enjoyed a movie in town, a trip to Cabela's, and dinner at Famous Dave's before spending the night and leaving with a full charge in the morning.
OwatonnaDest.jpg

Many thanks to Tesla, Holiday Inn, Bonnie, and Henry Sharp (for the HPWC to Roadster adapter!). All three were ICE'd when we arrived but Matt quickly got license plates to track down the owners. He said that a Model S had been there earlier that same day. The wife and I enjoyed a movie in town, a trip to Cabela's, and dinner at Famous Dave's before spending the night and leaving with a full charge in the morning.
View attachment 75547

Yes, the "Electric Car Charging Stations" sign is easy to miss. I know I would never have spotted it.:rolleyes:

So great! I can't wait til I can use it someday :).

Famous Daves is always good (usually meet friends there for a night out when in town), but my favorite near the hotel is the walleye pike and wild rice soup at The Timberlodge. If you venture into the small downtown of Owatonna, Costas Candies is a can't miss - legendary homemade caramels.

Also, for any architectural aficionados here, Owatonna is home to one of Louis Sullivan's masterpieces, 'The Jewel Box' bank. (And conveniently, Costas is right across the street.) I grew up thinking all banks were like this. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the standard. You'll normally see 80% of the breaker capacity. Code stuff ...

It's because the "40 amp" figure is an average. If you were to zoom way in on the signal, you'd see it bounces up and down quite a bit, but still averages out to 40. If you were to draw more than that 40 amp average, there would tend to be enough of the tiny spikes to trip the breaker. Keeping the current load at 80% of the capacity means the breaker most likely won't trip.

I asked Matt if he knew what size circuits the HPWCs were on; he called someone who said he thought they were 200-something amps, although that may have been conflation with the voltage. I mentioned that if they determine that the HPWCs have access to 80+ amps they should get the DIP switches in the HPWCs adjusted to take advantage of it.
I take it we still don't know whether the breakers/wire are 50A or 100A...

The person I spoke with thought that all three Chargers were on the same circuit.
Which is why I think we still don't know. Same 200A subpanel seems more likely.
The two HPWCs and the J1772 charger (I forget the brand) all put out 40 amps at 207 volts, meaning we got about 22mph from all three, something I hadn't seen with J1772 chargers. I asked Matt if he knew what size circuits the HPWCs were on; he called someone who said he thought they were 200-something amps...

50+50+50 in a 200A panel perhaps?
The HPWCs may indeed "be all they can be" on 50A circuits. Still, the itch to know for sure persists.

Last edited:
I was frustrated that there was no place to charge in my hometown. Not even a lone J1772 ...

So planning ahead, I contacted the management team at the Holiday Inn, Owatonna last fall - I want to be able to drive my EV to Owatonna and charge each night. And guess what! They put in THREE. Two HPWCs and a J1772.

(Minnesota owners - I'm sure the manager would be thrilled to host an event there. PM me for contact info. And in any case, if you're driving by, even if not stopping to charge, please stop in to say thank you. They're right behind Cabela's, on I-35.)

View attachment 71526
It would be great to see more of these at Holiday Inns or any hotel for that matter.
Nice job on the signage by the way.