Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Outage while running on Powerwalls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened twice now since July, the latest was last night, and am wondering if others have seen it. At both times, our house was fully running off the Powerwalls, and the lights blinked off/on very quickly. The Tesla app's Backup History lists an event of "a few seconds." We were not on the grid, but the grid never went out (our on-the-grid, non-Powerwall neighbors confirmed that they didn't notice the lights blinking off/on, and the app never showed a grid outage). Any thoughts as to what might have happened? TIA

This has happened twice now since July, the latest was last night, and am wondering if others have seen it. At both times, our house was fully running off the Powerwalls, and the lights blinked off/on very quickly. The Tesla app's Backup History lists an event of "a few seconds." We were not on the grid, but the grid never went out (our on-the-grid, non-Powerwall neighbors confirmed that they didn't notice the lights blinking off/on, and the app never showed a grid outage). Any thoughts as to what might have happened? TIA

Are you fully off grid or are you still grid tied but not using any of the grid (either drawing or exporting power)?

We sleep with a fan on in our room. Literally this morning my wife and I both heard the pitch and speed of the fan change for a brief moment. I grabbed my phone and sure enough the Powerwall was supplying power to the house because of a "grid outage". 99% of the time when the power blips it's due to a grid event somewhere else and a few minutes later our local utility posted there was a small outage down the street from us. We never actually lost power.

The Powerwall is pretty sensitive even to short, transient grid abnormalities such as an outage or blip even a few miles away that manifests itself as a voltage dip or spike locally and it will isolate itself from the grid for no less than 5 minutes. None of my non-backed up loads even noticed but the Powerwall did.

We are grid tied but were not drawing power from the grid at all on those days (just solar & PW). Looking in detail on the app at the exact blip moment last night, the PW's were supplying 0.8 kilowatts, but the grid briefly kicked in 0.3 kilowatts as well. Seconds later, we went back to PW's for all our electric.

We are grid tied but were not drawing power from the grid at all on those days (just solar & PW). Looking in detail on the app at the exact blip moment last night, the PW's were supplying 0.8 kilowatts, but the grid briefly kicked in 0.3 kilowatts as well. Seconds later, we went back to PW's for all our electric.
I had a similar experience recently, and posted a question about it here. One reply suggested the Powerwall interruption might have happened during a firmware update. I can’t confirm that, but if true maybe that’s what happened to you.