Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OTR service station EV charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I, for one, don’t find any joy being at a servo let alone parking there to charge.

Highway service centres are fine if not great places to have DCFCs.

Suburban servos… not so much. In fact, typically horrible. My local council thought it would be great if they could encourage local servos to add EV charging, and I told them in very clear terms that’s about the worst idea ever, and why.

Evie has completely avoided going down that path in Sydney thank goodness - all of their metro DCFCs are either at suburban shopping centres or Dan Murphys 😄

The only exception I can think of is Evie at BP Ashfield on Parramatta Rd. But that’s a quasi-service centre with amenities onsite and nearby. And somewhat ironically, there is no BP Pulse there 🤣

• Love
Reactions: dronus
Highway service centres are fine if not great places to have DCFCs.

Suburban servos… not so much. In fact, typically horrible. My local council thought it would be great if they could encourage local servos to add EV charging, and I told them in very clear terms that’s about the worst idea ever, and why.

Evie has completely avoided going down that path in Sydney thank goodness - all of their metro DCFCs are either at suburban shopping centres or Dan Murphys 😄

The only exception I can think of is Evie at BP Ashfield on Parramatta Rd. But that’s a quasi-service centre with amenities onsite and nearby. And somewhat ironically, there is no BP Pulse there 🤣
Agreed, makes sense on highway travel corridors but your local suburban servo isn’t ideal unless it is adjacent to shopping centres etc and even then the shopping centre carpark might be better.

The reality that urban servos are putting EV charging in must have come about from a business decision, likely involving making money from increased ev on the road.

Looking at their pricing and $15 preauth fee I wouldn’t go there anyway.

I went past the OTR in pultney/Angas street in Adelaide yesterday.
Quite a lot of earth works going on and lots of advertising and screening going on.
Looks like they are taking over most of the parking and car detailing bays up the back and also upgrading the shade sails.

There is an Oporto in that servo if you are into those calories, and there is a few dog roll shops around too.
It’s a bit of a walk to anywhere else and that corner is a bit of a pain to get to unless you are heading north on Pultney or west on Carrington street.
Don’t be that guy heading south on pultney turning right onto Angas…. Haha

It will be interesting to see what the uptake is like, especially as there are heaps of other chargers in the CBD that don’t have preauth or need yet another app