Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Opportunity Console - New Photos, Poll

This is how I'd like my Model S configured

• No console, keep it open

Votes: 84 14.3%
  • Somewhere for bits and bobs

Votes: 343 58.2%
  • My phone needs a home

Votes: 303 51.4%
  • Give me somewhere for the 'big-gulp'

Votes: 158 26.8%
  • Forget seat 5, give me more in the back

Votes: 110 18.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's well designed to allow the "40" of the 40/60 split to fold down. If you want to drop the entire back row, it looks like the unit could easily fit on the floor between the rear and front seats, which isn't part of the primary storage area.

When on a trip I've always used that space to store clothing bags:smile:. I can't recall that I've ever folded either the 40 or the 60 sections in any car. Either the rear seat is fully up or I need the space and it's fully down.

Is this tack-on as good as an integrated solution? No.
Is it worthwhile? Yep, I'd pay a reasonable amount for it (although it really should be included in the base price).

Unfortunately, it's worthwhile getting, like you say. Too many more of these extras that should be standard but will really reduce the functionality of the car if you don't have them and it will push my already-stretched-thin budget over the limit.:crying:

Is the diameter larger than the armrest cup holders. Will they accommodate a standard coffee cup? Too far forward?- which would be a Shame as the armrest ones are too close.

I really like the rear module, including the storage. What are the internal dimensions- Will it hold an iPad?

Is the diameter larger than the armrest cup holders. Will they accommodate a standard coffee cup? Too far forward?- which would be a Shame as the armrest ones are too close.
I really don't think those are cupholders. Also, as for the normal ones being to close, They appear to be about the same place as they are on the Volt. Sure, it's not ideal, but they're not too bad. i've gotten used to them. I'll have to see them in person. But if they are like the ones in the Volt, I can deal.

I agree with the shallow cup holders up front (in doug's picture). They seem very strange. I like the insert for the back seat, but I wish it as built into the center seat (fold down). My Volkswagen had a similar folder down storage/cup holder for it's center seat. The only problem was it was incredibly uncomfortable to sit in that spot. Of course that had a lot to do with the hump down the middle of the car.

Is that the brake pedal in this picture? It seems to stick out very far.

I like the insert for the back seat, but I wish it as built into the center seat (fold down).
I think part of the issue is that the rear seatbacks are rather thin. Seem only a few inches thick. You could probably make a shallow fold down cupholder/armrest work. But you'd probably have to abandon the storage, which is fine by me.

In other words, the seat backs may not be thick enough to accommodate something like this:

2011-audi-a8L-back-seat-arm-rest.jpg

2011 Audi A8l Back Seat Arm Rest Photo 28

But I think this should be the goal.

A cup holder module on the floor under the 17" screen makes sense to me. The prototype looks quite nice too. I have cup holders in a similar place on my current car and it is very convenient to reach. I don't think people would find it too far forward. Granted the cup sizes may be restricted in the prototype but no more so than they are now.

IMO the standard cup holder should be moved to this location and the current cup holder area converted to a rectangular storage cubby--an easy remold without any wiring or duct changes. This makes the arm rest useable at the same time as the cup holders and gives a nice area of closed storage under the arm rest. It also allows for further optional larger cup holders and/or storage bins in the open space.

Standard features should include an arm rest useable at the same time as accessible cup holders and a modicum of closed storage in reach of the driver. People expect this much in any car and should not have to pay extra for those basic things. This is a very inexpensive and simple way to solve those problems and does not interfere with more extensive optional console arrangements for those who wish them. I hope Tesla will consider it.

The rear cup-holder/storage box is a reasonable design afterthought. It's a functional and aesthetic solution for those who normally seat only two in the back seat and only occasionally need to lower both seat backs for more rear storage. I only wonder whether it will be a secure fit and whether rear passengers will inadvertently move it if they lean into it. That would be cheesy.

IMO, the front storage area is a fail, unless there are other modular elements that have not been introduced as yet (I was under the impression that all prototype elements would be presented this weekend, but obviously, that's not the case). From the photos, the revised front 'console' area offers relatively little improvement over the beta. The cubbies are better than nothing, but that's not the criterion I'd use when judging the interior. There is no hidden storage space whatsoever, meaning that sun glasses, change, ID cars, keys, etc. will be visible upon entry to the car—a sloppy look for a premium car. I'm hoping that TM will provide at least one closed module that fits into the large space that currently contains anti-slip strips. It could be similar to the rear seat storage box, allowing the driver to place small items out of site. Even better would be a full replacement center console (for those who want one) that has two or more closed storage boxes and is integrated into the center dashboard space. The top cubbie could stay, but the rest would be replaced by the full console.

2)Come up with a more compelling center console please, not all of us have a bag that needs a large area to throw it on the floor. Again it appears it is something that needs some additional iterations and thought, take the time and get it right, as an option it can come out at some later date after, once you have been able to put the right people on the task flow analysis and design.

That said even without any of the above I still expect to move forward with my model s purchase, just want this product to be best in the world in all aspects so that you'll need to run shifts day and night. :)
Ha, turns out I have a picture with my backpack in the center. I just threw it in there and it worked really well. Usually I throw it on the passenger side seat with my current car, but that seat was occupied with today's test drive!
Tesla Model S Test Drive 6-23-12 027.jpg

IMO, the front storage area is a fail, unless there are other modular elements that have not been introduced as yet (I was under the impression that all prototype elements would be presented this weekend, but obviously, that's not the case). From the photos, the revised front 'console' area offers relatively little improvement over the beta. The cubbies are better than nothing, but that's not the criterion I'd use when judging the interior. There is no hidden storage space whatsoever, meaning that sun glasses, change, ID cars, keys, etc. will be visible upon entry to the car—a sloppy look for a premium car. I'm hoping that TM will provide at least one closed module that fits into the large space that currently contains anti-slip strips. It could be similar to the rear seat storage box, allowing the driver to place small items out of site. Even better would be a full replacement center console (for those who want one) that has two or more closed storage boxes and is integrated into the center dashboard space. The top cubbie could stay, but the rest would be replaced by the full console.
The cubby is pretty deep. Could put garage door opener plus wallet in there pretty easily, but not much more than that. The glovebox is reasonable sized too, for whatever else.

I asked George B about where the prototype elements were, and he said they were in the cars. Since the cars were constantly in use, I didn't go take pictures of each one as it went thru. He mentioned 4 or 5 different options and he'll be providing photos to this website as soon as he can.

So I'll wait for the photos too.

The current options seem ok, but I took a look in a Jaguar cabriolet that was in the parking lot to compare (I took a picture too, but am not sharing it cause it is somebody else's car). The Jag had a couple 20oz sodas in there, an armrest that looked like the standard cubby type, plus some shiny bits that I've no idea the purpose and another cubby near the console with CD/DVD slot and NAV screen. And they had door pockets filled with some crud.

That appears to be the competition when the console makes or breaks the deal. The car drives OMG-well.

Anyone who is going to tomorrow's test drive sessions, please confirm whether those are cupholders or not. Most seem to be assuming they are, but I can't see how they are from the pics I've seen. I'll say again it looks like a sunglass holder space.

Thanks!
That would be one of the prototypes. The car I drove did not have that particular option -- there was no extra cupholder in mine.