Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a new (Android) app to go with the firmware update?
Typically stuff gets added to the firmware, then the volunteer smartphone developers add support in the apps. In the meantime, the existing apps work just fine with the new firmware and benefit from any bug fixes that improve reliability.

Until the smartphone apps get updated, the only way to get the CAC value is via text message.

No update to the configuration settings is required to go from 2.x to 2.3.2.

My firmware update page notes that if you have the Version 1 hardware, you have to set one parameter when you go from 1.x to 2.x, which can be done either with a single SMS message or over the network using one of the smartphone apps. After you've done that the first time you go to a 2.x version, you're set and won't have to do it again.

Note that when you update the firmware, you must disable writing the EEPROM or you'll blast all of your device settings and have to start over from scratch.

My firmware update page explains how to do it correctly with the PICkit2 programmer and software.

If you're using MPLAB X and PICkit2, the setting is buried and challenging to find: from the Run menu, choose "Set Project Configuration", then "Customize", then click on PICkit2, then make sure "Preserve Device EEPROM" is set. I don't have a PICkit3, but I would expect the MPLAB setting to be in a similar location.

Teslive

As you may be aware, there is a TESLIVE (Tesla Motors Club / Tesla Motors Corp collaboration) event coming up in Fremont, California - most likely 12th, 13th and 14th July 2013.

The event will have an 'Expo' portion, with booths for Tesla accessories. I would love to go, but it is just bad timing for me, as well as an awful long way to go just for this event, so I can't make it. But, I'm opening it up - anyway interested in handling this for us?

Based on the limited information I've been given, the expo part of the conference will be on two of the days and the booth would have to be manned for three or four hours on each of those two days. It would mean manning the booth, demonstrating OVMS, perhaps offering firmware upgrades and/or installation advise. You would also get to attend the event itself. Open Vehicles would pay for the booth, as well as one attendance fee for whoever does this for us (assuming you are one of the lucky 300 - and I'm not sure if exhibitors get priority or need to pay for the conference part). If more than one wants to do it, that is fine by me - share the load (and discount the attendance).

Please eMail me (mark (at) openvehicles (dot) com), if you can help.

Regards, Mark.

This is what happens when you side load the OVMS APK on to a Parrot Asteroid Smart 2DIN head unit:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366301494.219811.jpg

I think we have a little more work to do...

OVMS vehicle firmware v2.3.2 has been released. It is on github now, as well as Tom's download site.

Major changes are further support for Tazzari Zero, Volt/Ampera and Renault Twizzy, lots of bug fixes, and extensions to the Tesla Roadster support to add vehicle alert messages and battery CAC reporting.

Just a note to say that this firmware has now been deployed to quite a few vehicles, including v1.x roadsters, v2.x roadsters, volts/amperas and twizzies - on both v1 and v2 hardware. Everything seems stable, and no reported problems (which is good as this is the firmware just flashed to the latest batch of hardware coming from China / Fasttech, so new modules will be going out with it from now on).

If you have your own PICKIT2 (or access to one), we strongly encourage you to upgrade. Lots of bug fixes, and the CAC reporting will be extremely useful for long-term studies of battery degradation (such as the one currently being undertaken by Plug In America).

The next version of the firmware (2.5.x) is most likely a few months off and is targeted to include charge time prediction, advanced charge control (cooldown, complete-charge-by-time, charge-stop-at-XX-ideal-range, etc) and drive/charge logging.

@OpenVehicles: OVMS Android App back in Google Play - out of beta and supporting hi-res modern phones and latest EVs.

Open Vehicle Monitoring System - Android Apps on Google Play

More of a side-grade than an upgrade. This version supports modern hi-res phones, EVs other than the roadster, has a modern vehicle model (all the latest OVMS features), and scales beautifully. It loses social groups, the fancy settings, and landscape support - these will be brought back later once things are stable.

This is a base on top of which we will build.

The road to ACC (Advanced Charge Control) just got a lot shorter. A big update went to GitHub last night with all the foundational work, v2.5.1 goes to alpha testing (developers only who can build from source, at the moment). The alpha supports the concept of ACC locations (geo-fenced) as well as optional logging of charge and drive history. It also has a COOLDOWN SMS command.

The hurdles seem to be now over, and we hope to have a v2.5.2 beta suitable for wider community testing in about 7 to 10 days.

Twitter / OpenVehicles: OVMS v2.5 firmware up for ...

I just posted in the technical discussion thread a 'call for assistance' regarding an OVMS sub-project. You can find it here:

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion - Page 5

With the other OVMS projects on-going, I've got too much on my plate to do this all on my own, so I'm announcing it here and hoping that some one / some people will step forward and offer to help. The main areas I need help with are finalising the hardware design and writing the PIC32 firmware - but longer-term if people want to help out with the CAN-RE-TOOL software, that would be wonderful.

Open Vehicles can sponsor the hardware for developers - so all I'm looking for is donation of your time and enthusiasm to this project. If you can't directly help with the coding / hardware hacking, then perhaps just help by spreading the news about this.

Volunteers please contact me at [email protected].

Regards, Mark.

A new version iOS App (iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads) is being released to the iTunes App store. This version identifies itself as v1.3.7 and offers the following enhancements:

• Revised icons, to reflect the support for new vehicle types
  • New volt/ampera artwork
  • v2.5.1 vehicle firmware feature support
  • v2.5.1 vehicle firmware parameter support
  • Show CAC on vehicle information sheet
  • Production TestFlightApp integration
  • Various bug fixes
  • Open Charge Map integration

That last one is the 'biggy' - thanks to the wonderful folks over at Zero Carbon World (Open Charge Map - Zero Carbon World) and the Open Charge Map project (Open Charge Map - The global public registry of electric vehicle charging locations), the vehicle location tab now shows charging stations within range of your vehicle.

The new version is being released now and should appear on the App store within the next few hours.