Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're pleased to say that OVMS End-User firmware 1.2.2 has now been declared stable and will be provided with all new units shipping from next week onwards.

The new firmware brings with it:

• Issue #31 - Performance mode bug fix and kludgy workaround
  • Issue #32 - Bug in net_sms handling CARBITS feature #14
  • Tesla Roadster v1.5 tested compatible and supported

The last one says it all. This new firmware adds support for v1.5 Tesla Roadsters. Thanks to Tom for his help in getting this working.

Regards, Mark.

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but...

I had my kid, and we were getting out to go play in the park. As we left the car, my hands were full and I figured I would use OVMS to lock the vehicle later. When I was thinking of leaving, I was looking for the keys and couldn't find them. I thought, "I couldn't have possibly..." But yes I did. I locked the car with the keys in the ignition... with the car on!

FEATURE REQUEST:
Can we have the vehicle notify us of when the trunk/glove compartments are opened while in Valet mode? That'd be nice. You are having dinner when <beep> <beep>... "oh my, I wonder what they are looking for?"

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature but...

I had my kid, and we were getting out to go play in the park. As we left the car, my hands were full and I figured I would use OVMS to lock the vehicle later. When I was thinking of leaving, I was looking for the keys and couldn't find them. I thought, "I couldn't have possibly..." But yes I did. I locked the car with the keys in the ignition... with the car on!

Wow!

Didn't the DONG DONG DONG annoying noise give it away? Or, does that stop when you close the door?

Normally the smoke from the tailpipe and engine noise would give it away, but...

I think we should treat this as a bug. It would be best to address it both in the Apps and in the car Firmware. I've raised this as issues #37 and #38 to make sure they get addressed.

FEATURE REQUEST:
Can we have the vehicle notify us of when the trunk/glove compartments are opened while in Valet mode? That'd be nice. You are having dinner when <beep> <beep>... "oh my, I wonder what they are looking for?"

Nice idea. I'm not sure about glove box (I need to check if we can find the can bus bit for that - if there is a sensor on it, it is most likely in the doors message somewhere). I've raised it as issue #39.

You can find these issues at:

Issues · markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System · GitHub

The "Valet" screen on the 2.5 VDS shows you if there were any (how many) truck openings during the Valet period. It's pretty easy also to ask the Valet why he/she opened the trunk if the screen tells you it's been opened.

The "Valet" screen on the 2.5 VDS shows you if there were any (how many) truck openings during the Valet period. It's pretty easy also to ask the Valet why he/she opened the trunk if the screen tells you it's been opened.

Mark, you said the OVMS could do anything the VDS does. So I figured that when the VDS updates the valet screen by indicating a trunk open or glove box open, it could also send the owner a notification of such.

And Nigel: It would be simple enough to ask when I get the car back, but it's my experience that the guy who parks it is not the guy who gets it, and the guy who gets it doesn't know who parked it. If the trunk is opened right after you drop it off, you could come right out and say, "you know that electric sports car that was just parked, someone opened the trunk, please bring it back so I can inspect it." At that point they should still remember who put it away, because he'll probably still be holding the key. I know I am coming off as paranoid, because I, personally, have not had any problems with this car or my last car. But I've had 2 Lexus sedans. Problem is they have a lot of in-cabin storage. I didn't notice something was missing until I needed it again (usually sunglasses). Luckily, the Tesla seems to be a "good karma" car, and the valets have been very nice to my car... but there's always one asshole, and I'll be ready for him when I get that text!!! (once Mark gets that feature going)

By the way, one feature I have used already and has justified the price is the remote valet mode setting...
Pre-OVMS: I pull up to valet. A guy rushes up to open the door. I tell him to hold on. I put on the emergency brake, and wait for the VDS to update. Then I plug in the code, covering it up so the valet doesn't see. Then I get out. "Awkward!"
Post-OVMS: I pull up to valet. A guy rushes up to open the door. I get out (wow, just like a regular car). Then while walking away, I make a few taps on my iPhone et voila.

I use valet a lot in Houston. To give you an idea of just how easy and good valet is here. This morning, I brought my daughter to the Galleria mall. Valet was $6. I thought to myself, "No need to valet, that's a luxury, I'll just self park" When I paid for self-parking, it was $11. My Tesla is low enough to drive under the automatic gate, I just should have out of principle... but I paid it. :mad:

In any case, I like the valet mode feature.

Last edited:
Wow!

Didn't the DONG DONG DONG annoying noise give it away? Or, does that stop when you close the door?

I think the DONG DONG DONG is linked to the driver's door, but not the passenger door. It's hot here in Texas, so I kept the A/C going while I was unstrapping my kid from the car seat. I was supposed to reach over and grab the key (but obviously forgot).

P.S. I am kinda embarrassed that 3 of the 8 open issues on Issues · markwj/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System · GitHub
are mine, and 2 of those 3 are because I'm a retard.

Just tested on my 2.5 car. The Valet Mode screen shows trunk openings and unlock attempts, but doesn't mention glove compartment.

I checked on the CAN bus, the Door1, Door2 and Door3 bytes that hold bitmaps for which parts of the car are open/closed, and opening/closing the glove compartment doesn't seem to change any of them.

Conclusion is I don't think the glove compartment has an open/close sensor on it. From what others are reporting, it can't be opened with the button while in valet mode.

For the trunk, that is definitely possible and I'll try to get something in the next firmware.

Showed it to four Tesla folks this weekend, they were all amazed and very impressed then busy downloading the app to play with the demonstration car. :wink:

I've got a new demo car used for testing and tuning the live map tracking function in the upcoming iPhone App revision. It is pretty cool, and should be out within the next week or two.

Once the OMVS has the capability that your that your car has been disconnected like the Tattler I would like it to send the app a picture from an onboard car-camera. I'm thinking a pinhole camera that looks out the front of the car from the windshield mirror or one mounted in the diver's side mirror looking back at the plug to record the person on the plug.

"What the car sees" would be an awesome feature.

Would it be possible to add pin access to the app? For me, would be more useful on the iPad version since my phone is with me but might be useful to others for both versions. Thanks.

I was thinking about the same thing:

Or have the option of the app requesting a password before allowing the user to change anything (i.e., do any CAN bus writes, or change parameters/features). The password could be (optionally) requested at either start up or the first time the user touches anything that it makes sense to password protect, then after entering the correct password, the rest of the time the app was active it wouldn't ask for the password again.

Or at least maybe provide the option of a password lock on the "Control" button. Then I can be sure that someone I let play around with my iPhone won't change parameters nor features using the app and, if I have set to no-CAN-write, then they won't be able to change charging (including setting current to greater than available from the source), etc.

Thinking about this, I'd also make sure to clear out any SMS to the OVMS showing PARAMS or FEATURE commands being executed to not give someone examples of texts that they could send, with some modifications, which could change configuration (and not let them see the password in the PARAMS).

That seems to me like going to a lot of bother, why don't you just enable the password on your phone? Maybe I'm being too simplistic.....

I do use a PIN on my phone, but I expect that friends/family will want to look at and play with the app and I have relatives that like to play with my iPhone whenever I visit, even before I had the awesome OVMS app.

I haven't done any iPhone app programming, but I would think that adding a (optional) password to the app starting up, or the app accessing the server would be relatively easy (maybe password protecting some parts and not others would be significantly more complicated and not worth the effort).

I can think of lots of reasons why giving your phone to family to play with isn't a good idea (Do you have one-click enabled in Amazon? Will your son delete your appointments or create new ones and invite your business associates?). Accidentally starting a charge on your car seems a lot less worrisome.

However, it might be worth putting the password requirement on CAN Write enabling via the App. That way you could disable it when handing your phone to someone else.