Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got everything working and upgraded firmware using the USB connection on my laptop. The OVMS app on my phone connected - all good. Then I couldn’t find the old V2 box and cable, so I don’t have the cable for the car. Doh! Ordered a new cable. I will probably find the old one before it arrives, but seems like the best option. Anyway, it’s much easier to setup than V2. Thanks Mark for all the work you put into OVMS.

Hello Mark,
First of all thank you very much for your work and for sharing with us!
Any update on the new stock of the EU v3 module? I was not quick enough to buy
although I was waiting it for months lol. But i don't want to miss this new batch. My twizy is a bit sad with out it ;)

Hello Mark,
First of all thank you very much for your work and for sharing with us!
Any update on the new stock of the EU v3 module? I was not quick enough to buy
although I was waiting it for months lol. But i don't want to miss this new batch. My twizy is a bit sad with out it ;)

No major hardware issues found. We're just trying to make the setup in firmware a bit easier to use for non experts. Production should start this week, and general availability around mid May. From now on, we should be able to keep it in stock (rather than artificially limiting availability to keep support burden workable).

OVMS v3 3.1.005 is now available. For Tesla Roadster owners, this brings back the CAC retrieval and display. We poll the car for CAC every time a charge completes, or the car is turned on or off. We also pick it up if you call up the CAC screen in DIAG mode on the little VDS.

OVMS v3 v3.1.005 Over-the-Air firmware update

Today, we are pleased to release v3.1.005. Over 100 bug fixes and enhancements have gone into this release since v3.1.004, and a summary of the major changes is here:

Code:
Firmware: 3.1.005  (build idf v3.1-dev-454-gdaef4b5c May  1 2018 21:38:50)

OTA release providing minor improvements and fixes.

- Vehicle: 12V battery monitoring
   vehicle [12v.alert] = 1.6       Voltage drop alert threshold in V vs. reference
- OTA: automatic daily firmware updates (wifi only)
   auto [ota] = yes                Enable/disable
   ota [auto.hour] = 2             Hour for daily check
- Logging: persistent configuration, file cycling, web config UI:
   log [file.enable] = no          Enable/disable file logging
   log [file.maxsize] = 1024       Max log file size in kB, 0 = no cycling
   log [file.path] = ""            Log path, if on /sd watches sd.mounted
   log [level]                     Default level
   log [level.]               Component levels
- Reverse Engineering Tools enhancements
- Tesla Roadster CAC support
- Miscellaneous bug fixes and enhancements
For full detail on all changes, check the GitHub revision history.

The v3 modules can be updated over the air (wifi), via SD CARD, or over USB - all without requiring special hardware programmers like the PICKIT used for v2. The simplest way to update the module firmware is to connect it as a client to your wifi network (or phone hotspot), and then use the web interface Config / Firmware / Flash-from-Web; that will show you the version you are running, as well as the latest version available for update. One click on 'Flash now' and the update will be downloaded and installed. Alternatively, you can download the firmware update to a file named ovms3.bin in the root directory of a FAT formatted SD CARD and insert the card into the module's slot - the new firmware will be updated automatically and the file renamed ovms3.done to signify completion.

This firmware 3.1.005 release also includes a new feature to check for and automatically update to newly available firmware, every night (so long as the vehicle is connected to WiFi). After updating to 3.1.005, you can enable this for future firmware releases with 'config ota auto yes'.

Reactions: Roadrunner13
Finally got back home after a business trip, got the new cable that I had ordered. Plugged it in and didn't get anything. Put it back on USB, came up fine, and auto-connected to WiFi. I ran the software update, then without unplugging from USB went back to the car and plugged in the GSM antenna and the car connector. That worked, it saw the car, kept the WiFi running, and eventually also saw a very weak GSM signal. T-Mobile doesn't work well where I live -107db reported via the mobile app. Unplugged the USB and it kept running, so I'm not sure what happened, but it's happy now. Glad to have my OVMS app working again...

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I set up my v3 unit the other night. I'm a new user but had no problems setting it up, despite some documentation lacunae.

I went the wifi route despite being aware of the USB serial console. I configured it as a WiFi AP+Client so it would sit on my home WiFi when in the garage but I would have the option of connecting directly to the unit while away from home. Once it was configured I did a firmware update via the web.

The app was a little weird. Honestly, the Demo car kind of just gets in the way, it would be better if it just started out blank. It was a little confusing that I didn't enter my server username; just the car's ID, my server password, and my OVMS password. I guess the car IDs are unique across the whole OVMS server? I wasn't sure if I should put www.openvehicles.com or api.openvehicles.com as the server until I realized that both of those names refer to the same Network Box node. Also, I didn't find the console shell access that the documentation said the app provides.

After testing signal strength with the antenna in various places around the front and rear glass, I ended up placing the antenna on that plastic trim piece above the passenger seat belt upper anchor point. That placement seemed to yield the strongest signal (although I realize that may be true only when parked in my garage) and offered a relatively easy cable routing under the door sill trim (which, as most of you probably know is simply velcro'd on). I tucked the box unsecured into a void above the passenger footwell. Partly because I haven't decided for sure where I'm going to mount it and partly because it takes a bit of yoga to get my head and hands under there. I have some velcro in the glove compartment so I can secure it whenever inspiration strikes.

Overall I'm very happy with the unit. It gives the Roadster all the telemetry and remote access a modern EV has and then some --the value add to the car is enormous, even more so if you consider the value add on a per-cost basis. If this was a couple thousand dollar option on the car when new, I bet most buyers would have selected it.

Note: if you are a Google Project Fi subscriber, they provide data-only SIM cards for free. There is no cost for the SIM card, and no monthly fee. You pay only for data used, and at the same price for data as on your primary SIM card --just $0.01 per megabyte. Quite a lot cheaper than Hologram, and you don't have to set up an account with yet another vendor.

P.S. I clicked the "Donate $20" button but when I got to PayPal Checkout, it was only $10. Not sure why there's a discrepancy there.

Last edited:
Reactions: dhrivnak
I set up my v3 unit the other night. I'm a new user but had no problems setting it up, despite some documentation lacunae.

Thanks for the feedback. Good to hear from a new user coming at it (most of our existing feedback has been existing v2 users upgrading to v3).

P.S. Bleeding edge OTA update 3.1.005-40-gdb789e4 brings charge (and other vehicle alerts) to Tesla Roadster: charge.started, heating.started, charge.stopped, charge.done, valet.enabled, valet.disabled, valet.hood, valet.trunk, alarm.sounding, alarm.stopped, batt.12v.alert, batt.12v.recovered. We are targeting an OTA release 3.1.006 of this and other stuff for Monday 14th May.

OVMS v3 3.1.006 is now available. For Tesla Roadster owners, this brings a full suite of alerts via push notifications to your smartphone (including charge.started, heating.started, charge.stopped, charge.done, valet.enabled, valet.disabled, valet.hood, valet.trunk, alarm.sounding, and alarm.stopped). We've also got the vehicle fault alert codes back in (using the same push notifications). Tom Saxton's charge time predictor is also back (thanks to Tom for porting that to OVMS v3), and we've got a fix for a reported issue where charges could not be started from the smartphone apps when the car was in 'timerwait' state. We also fixed the homelink transmission issue that has been with us since the v2 days (where we transmitted homelink codes for 10 or more seconds, rather than the default 1 second) - the transmission time is now available on the command itself.

In total, over 125 bug fixes and enhancements have gone into this release since v3.1.005, and a summary of the major changes is here:

Code:
Firmware: 3.1.006  (build idf v3.1-dev-455-gf4905cdf May 20 2018 20:08:31)

OTA release providing improvements and fixes.

- Web status: panel auto updates, reboot button, SD card and modem status and control
- Twizy: sufficient charge notifications separated from charge state
- Webserver: setup wizard
- Notifications for charge and other standard events
- Notifications for vehicle error fault codes
- Notifications when new firmware is available / installed (autoflash)
- Charge Time Predictor for Tesla Roadster

For full detail on all changes, check the GitHub revision history.

The v3 modules can be updated over the air (wifi), via SD CARD, or over USB - all without requiring special hardware programmers like the PICKIT used for v2. The simplest way to update the module firmware is to connect it as a client to your wifi network (or phone hotspot), and then use the web interface Config / Firmware / Flash-from-Web; that will show you the version you are running, as well as the latest version available for update. One click on 'Flash now' and the update will be downloaded and installed. Alternatively, you can download the firmware update to a file named ovms3.bin in the root directory of a FAT formatted SD CARD and insert the card into the module's slot - the new firmware will be updated automatically and the file renamed ovms3.done to signify completion.

This firmware 3.1.006 release also includes the new feature to check for and automatically update to newly available firmware, every night (so long as the vehicle is connected to WiFi). After updating to 3.1.005 (or later), you can enable this for future firmware releases with 'config ota auto yes'.

I'm guessing that's if you just want the OVMS to work when in WiFi range?

So as an OVMS noob (I've been a Tattler user for years but it died on me a while back)... Verify my parts list... I need a GMS antenna, data cable for Tesla Roadster, and OVMS 3/1 Kit w/ 3G Modem (US)?

I'm guessing that's if you just want the OVMS to work when in WiFi range?

So as an OVMS noob (I've been a Tattler user for years but it died on me a while back)... Verify my parts list... I need a GMS antenna, data cable for Tesla Roadster, and OVMS 3/1 Kit w/ 3G Modem (US)?
The Roadster provides GPS data from its own system, so no GPS antenna is needed for OVMS, nor should you enable it on the module.

The North America version of the module with the modem does not include the cell antenna. If you don't have one, I've found the one offered by FastTech seems to work just fine. Just search for OVMS; it will be listed, along with the module itself and the Roadster data cable.

• Informative
Reactions: RobsJester
V3.1 is back for sale ;)
@markwj
What is the OVMS v3.1 Base Module (Wifi/Bluetooth) for?
What is the difference with the OVMS v3.1 Kit w/ SIM5360 3G Modem Module?

The kits (OVMS base module + modem) are the simplest way to go for most users. They are pre-assembled and have bluetooth, wifi, and cellular (3G) connectivity. Just make sure you order the correct kit (EU vs US). For Roadster users, you'll also need to order:

$7.50 OVMS Data Cable for Tesla Roadster 1.x/2.x - Official OVMS Parts at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

and

$3.68 OpenVehicles OVMS GSM Antenna - Official OVMS Parts at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

If you don't need cellular connectivity (just wifi), either because you have a wifi hotspot in the car or just want to use it at home/work within range of wifi, then the base module can be ordered. The optional modem modules are also now up on the site should you decide to add cellular later. The modem module is also upgradable at a later stage, should newer technology come around. 4G would be nice, and we have prototypes, but it is just too expensive at the moment to be worthwhile.

For existing OVMS v2 users upgrading to v3, there will be a coupon code for US$20 upgrade discount coming real soon.

Reactions: driver_EV
For existing OVMS v2 users upgrading to v3, there will be a coupon code for US$20 upgrade discount coming real soon.

That coupon code is ready now. If you login to your www.openvehicles.com account, you can see it under My Account / Vehicles. Just type the coupon code in at FastTech checkout. Discount is for v2 users upgrading to v3 only, so please don't share publicly (the project needs funds to continue to develop the system).

My initial setup is successful. A little bumpy getting the setup authentication on the module web app from my office desk (spent the entire evening on this), but after a factory reset (-thanks for making that so easy to do) and restart of the setup process I was successful.

Activated the Hologram service with the chip included in the module. Thank you so much for this default wireless connectivity provision, hardware coupon, service coupon, all the work updating the device, and documenting this for the users.

I notice it seems so much faster, gets connected and found it is already working before I got back to the app, after plugging the module into the roadster.