Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After trying a few more things, it seems that I only see those weird statuses as responses to setting a MODULE command. If I wait a few seconds and query with MODULE?, then I get normal looking results. It's almost like when you set a new mode with the module command, the system returns a weird status before everything has had a chance to calm down. My APN is fine (same one you listed), and GPRS has worked flawlessly for months. As does SMS as you can tell from my posts, but for some reason no SMS relay. There's gotta be a reason. :)

After trying a few more things, it seems that I only see those weird statuses as responses to setting a MODULE command. If I wait a few seconds and query with MODULE?, then I get normal looking results. It's almost like when you set a new mode with the module command, the system returns a weird status before everything has had a chance to calm down. My APN is fine (same one you listed), and GPRS has worked flawlessly for months. As does SMS as you can tell from my posts, but for some reason no SMS relay. There's gotta be a reason. :)

If you're running the app on iOS, how about settings>notifications>OVMS? Make sure you have notifications enabled.

The app isn't listed in the notifications settings list. Is the app even capable of generating notifications?

It is listed in notifications for me...running iOS 8.3 and app version 1.6.5. The way an SMS to the module is relayed to the app is via a banner notification containing the SMS. I confirmed that with notifications for OVMS disabled, there is absolutely no response from the app when sending a test SMS to the module.

Try finding those notification settings for the app. Maybe located elsewhere for previous versions of iOS? Feel free to list your iOS version, app version and OVMS module firmware here as it may help others diagnose your issue.

I'm on iOS 8.4 and attached are the OVMS versions. I don't recall ever seeing an in-app notification even when I was on older iOS versions either. Arghhh...
e1009f903bd296f61a16b6e4e658017a.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Apologies for the giant pic haha. I posted it from my phone so I wasn't sure what the resolution would be.

For the AT+CIPSHUT, you can ignore it. It is not relevant and spurious output. It is fixed in the development version of the firmware, but that hasn't made it to production builds yet.

For the forwarding of SMS messages via PUSH notifications, that is hard coded and should always be enabled. So long as PUSH notifications are working, the SMS messages should get forwarded.

For the lack of push notifications, I've really got no idea. It should appear as OVMS in the Notifications list in Settings. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't appear there unless perhaps it has been denied use of PUSH notifications and they appear somewhere else. If you eMail me your vehicle ID, I can have a look at the server logs to see if it is requested.

For the AT+CIPSHUT, you can ignore it. It is not relevant and spurious output. It is fixed in the development version of the firmware, but that hasn't made it to production builds yet.

For the forwarding of SMS messages via PUSH notifications, that is hard coded and should always be enabled. So long as PUSH notifications are working, the SMS messages should get forwarded.

For the lack of push notifications, I've really got no idea. It should appear as OVMS in the Notifications list in Settings. I can't think of any reason it wouldn't appear there unless perhaps it has been denied use of PUSH notifications and they appear somewhere else. If you eMail me your vehicle ID, I can have a look at the server logs to see if it is requested.

For me it is named 'Open Vehicles' in settings>notifications, and with the OVMS icon. Even if it was denied use of PUSH notifications, it should show up *somewhere* on the notifications list. If under the 'do not include' section at the bottom, that could justify why no notification pops up when the SMS is relayed.

For me it is named 'Open Vehicles' in settings>notifications, and with the OVMS icon. Even if it was denied use of PUSH notifications, it should show up *somewhere* on the notifications list. If under the 'do not include' section at the bottom, that could justify why no notification pops up when the SMS is relayed.

Ya gotta trust me on this one; it's not listed anywhere in that settings page. Not even in the "do not include" list.

My theory is that the notifications API used by the OVMS developers has been deprecated by Apple in iOS 8.4, making that function of the app not available anymore. When I perform a fresh install of the app, I don't even get the pop-up asking if I want to allow notifications. If this isn't popping up, that means the app is never even asking the phone to enable notifications.

Checking into the notification issue, there does seem to be something broken/changed in the 8.4 and 9.0beta.

Existing App installs and notification tokens are fine, but new installs on 8.4 are not getting registered from the App.

I'm looking into it.

Something just changed all of a sudden. I just started a charge and for the first time ever I saw a little notification pop down within the app saying "preparing" or something along those lines. I also received an SMS with a similar message. Neither of these had ever happened in the past, even just a few hours ago when I charged this morning.

I still don't see the app listed as supporting notifications in iOS though, so I assume I can only see those notifications when the app is open - not as native iOS notifications.

Here's another question... How do you view past notifications in the app? It seems like they just pop up and then disappear, and since they're not via the iOS notification architecture, I can't look at the iOS notification list to see them in my history.

The iOS notification system is really bizarre. In most things I find iOS superior to Android, but in notifications Android excels.

For iOS, if an app is running in the foreground, it gets the notification directly and is responsible for display. Such notifications don't appear in the notification centre. If the app is running in the background, the notification goes directly to the user via notification centre.

For Android, all notifications go to the App.

So, in iOS, we need to deal with the display of notifications while in the App. We do that with a little drop-down drawer widget that comes from the top. It is not particularly clean.

The issue we are having with 8.4/9.0 iOS is that the app can't register for push notifications properly. You'll still get the ones that come in when you are in the app itself.

Regards, Mark.

OK. The APNS PUSH notification issue for new users is real, and related to a change in iOS 8.x.

We have a version going through app store review at the moment, and about to be released as a beta release. If you want access to the beta (via test flight), send me a PM with your email address for the invite.