Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found this in the manual:

CHARGEMODE <mode> <current>

Sets the Charging Mode to one of: STANDARD, STORAGE, RANGE, or PERFORMANCE and sets the maximum charging current to <current>, an integer. This command can only be issued by the registered Phone.

I can change the charge mode successfully:

CHARGEMODE RANGE
CHARGEMODE STANDARD

But nothing happens if I add an integer :(

Also, mine does not reply to any of the ACC commands..

Firmware version: 2.6.5/TR/V2

Thanks to everyone's help, I pulled in last night, plugged in, my roadster cooled down, then stopped charging. By 5:50am it had a full standard charge, fully balanced, everything warm, and ready to go. I left the car in "charge on plugin" mode, so after the cooldown the VDS said something like "charge stopped by request." The command I used was:

ACC PARAMS 1 COOLDOWN CHARGEBY 05:50 MODE STA LIMIT 40

Thats news.
What even units bought in the last few months ??

Got mine a few months ago as well...it came with the standard 2.6.5 firmware but not Roadster-specific. SMS commands for Cooldown would simply pop up at the top of the app but I never got a reply or was able to set Cooldown parameters.

The Roadster-specific firmware is here: Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System/vehicle/firmware at master · openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System · GitHub
Firmware update guide: OVMS Firmware Update Guide

*Make sure you don't overwrite your EEPROM, otherwise you'll have to set up your OVMS from scratch. I may have inadvertently done this...

Does anyone have any good guidance on how to flash the firmware using a Mac? Like GeorgeK, I recently received my unit and have it working perfectly. Although I ran into some issues loading the TR specific firmware.

First I tried using a Windows VM running on Parallels, and the flash process indicated success but the module was bricked. Not even a single LED flash or anything once powered up. Then I found a CLI version of the flashing software to use on the Mac, and I had the same behavior. Finally I pulled out an old Windows laptop from the closet and the process went without a hitch.

I'd really prefer to be able to use my normal Mac to flash the firmware if possible, since the Windows laptop is insanely slow and miserable to use lol. Anyone doing this successfully?

Does anyone have any good guidance on how to flash the firmware using a Mac? Like GeorgeK, I recently received my unit and have it working perfectly. Although I ran into some issues loading the TR specific firmware.

First I tried using a Windows VM running on Parallels, and the flash process indicated success but the module was bricked. Not even a single LED flash or anything once powered up. Then I found a CLI version of the flashing software to use on the Mac, and I had the same behavior. Finally I pulled out an old Windows laptop from the closet and the process went without a hitch.

I'd really prefer to be able to use my normal Mac to flash the firmware if possible, since the Windows laptop is insanely slow and miserable to use lol. Anyone doing this successfully?

I've never had a problem updating mine with a Windows VM under VMware Fusion.

Having a bit of a problem at the moment, and I'm hoping this is just something simple that others have fixed before. If I remember correctly, the module is supposed to forward incoming SMS messages to my phone, correct? I've never used this functionality, but H2O Wireless changed their website around and now I need to receive an SMS activation code before I can manage my account again. This SMS code doesn't seem to be getting forwarded by the module to my phone. I can send messages to the module just fine to issue commands, and it responds to me just fine. It just doesn't appear to be forwarding messages from external sources. Any tips? Thanks!

Having a bit of a problem at the moment, and I'm hoping this is just something simple that others have fixed before. If I remember correctly, the module is supposed to forward incoming SMS messages to my phone, correct? I've never used this functionality, but H2O Wireless changed their website around and now I need to receive an SMS activation code before I can manage my account again. This SMS code doesn't seem to be getting forwarded by the module to my phone. I can send messages to the module just fine to issue commands, and it responds to me just fine. It just doesn't appear to be forwarding messages from external sources. Any tips? Thanks!

I had a similar experience recently when logging into H2O's website (requiring a code issued via SMS). At the time, my GPRS link seemed to be having issues...I could SMS to the module and received a response, but the app couldn't connect to the module. I planned to troubleshoot by pulling the SIM from the module, but after about two days GPRS came back and SMS messages were then forwarded to the app. This roughly coincided with me refilling funds to my plan, so I thought it may have been related.

Do you have GPRS connectivity (1 green light on the module)?

Worst case, if you need the code, you could pull the SIM and put it in an old phone with micro-SIM slot.

GPRS has been working great all along, so that shouldn't be the issue. Is there a parameter or setting that needs to be toggled for SMS forwarding to work maybe?

I was going to recommend checking that parameter 3 (notifications) is set to SMSIP, but I just confirmed on my setup that even when set only to SMS and rebooting the module, a notification still comes up on my OVMS iPhone app when I send a random SMS to the module. Maybe check that you have the latest version of the app as well as firmware? If upgrading firmware, make sure to disable EEPROM write otherwise you'll overwrite all of your settings.

OVMS Firmware Update Guide

I've always just had it set to IP, since I didn't want to get SMS messages whenever charging events occurred. For testing, I just switched it to SMSIP and still no SMS forwarding happens. The output of my module command doesn't seem to match the documentation at all though. Check this out...

I issued a MODULE? command and got this back which seems normal:

Code:
[FONT=Helvetica]Module:[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica] VehicleID:USXXXX[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica] VehicleType:TR[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica] Units:M[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica] Notifications:IP[/FONT]

Then I enabled SMSIP mode with "MODULE USXXXX M SMSIP TR" and got the following response:

Code:

[FONT=Helvetica] Notifications:SMSIAT+CIPSHUT[/FONT]

Setting it back to IP with "
MODULE USXXXX M IP TR" gave more weird output:

Code:

[FONT=Helvetica] Notifications:IAT+CIPSHUT[/FONT]

I dunno what all this SMSIAT and CIPSHUT stuff is about....hmm.

I dunno what all this SMSIAT and CIPSHUT stuff is about....hmm.

Not sure what CIPSHUT means, but I've come to associate it with frustration, as that was included in the *many* SMS messages I received during initial setup of my module with AT&T before switching to H2O. Turned out to be an incorrect APN that was hindering GPRS connectivity. For H2O wireless, the APN I've seen recommended and currently use is att.mvno.

My MODULE query yields:
Notifications: SMSIP