Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Open Vehicle Monitor System (OVMS) - Technical Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Mark, How can I tell what version my module is on? Is it set to auto-update already? I'm not sure how to connect my module to wifi as a client to make this update (I see latest update release today to general release)...is there another post detailing this in this thread, or can you provide a little guidance?

Thanks,
Mark

From the App, click Settings tab, then the little (i) icon. That will show you version.

You can check what version are available from the Messages tab. Enter the command 'ota status' and it will show what is running, and what is available.

The user guide has all the details on wifi and OTA:
User Guide — Open Vehicles documentation

You can update over cellular, but (a) it is slow, (b) it needs a special config to be set to permit it, and (c) it may be costly (depending on your cellular plan) - about 3MB for each update.

You can also update locally, over a browser, or via SD CARD.

Regards, Mark.

Thanks Mark....and about the time I was checking that, OVMS messaged that the update was available, and a couple minutes later that it was being updated and would restart, and a couple minutes later was updated via wifi automatically...

Another benefit of having you set it up for me, I assume... :)

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: drewski and AtAge19
i just got a v2.0 roadster and ordered the OVMS + Modem + GSM antenna.

quick GPS question. i'm planning to change the JVC headunit. is the GPS signal dependant on the Radio Nav or is it independent (i.e. would i need to get the external GPS antenna, if i change the radio)

May you please assist in enrolling in the Early Access Program for iOS? I’m a major novice, Mark.

It is a configuration on the module itself.

You can choose the release level by setting 'config ota tag edge | eap | main', as one of:
  • edge: Bleeding edge developer nightly-builds
  • eap: Early Access Program (full releases, but with little public testing)
  • main: Publicly tested full releases (the most stable)
Regards, Mark.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski
And to clarify, releases of the iOS and Android apps are managed separately. Mark described the release levels of the firmware that gets downloaded into the OVMS module itself.

Must have read it too quickly and missed the 'iOS' bit of the question.

There is a beta testing program for iOS. You can eMail / PM me if you want to join that. New iOS App releases typically go there a week or two before general release (to allow for wider testing).

The newest Android Version 3.13.2 (2019112701) crashes on my Pixel 3XL. Up to now, previous versions have run perfectly. When it first automatically installed itself, it wiped out my settings for my car leaving only the demonstration vehicle. Now, each time I try to add the settings for my car, it crashes and any subsequent attempt to open the app gives me an error box stating "Open Vehicles keeps stopping" and I am unable to subsequently open the app until I uninstall and re-install it.

John

The newest Android Version 3.13.2 (2019112701) crashes on my Pixel 3XL. Up to now, previous versions have run perfectly. When it first automatically installed itself, it wiped out my settings for my car leaving only the demonstration vehicle. Now, each time I try to add the settings for my car, it crashes and any subsequent attempt to open the app gives me an error box stating "Open Vehicles keeps stopping" and I am unable to subsequently open the app until I uninstall and re-install it.

John

Please try to report this here:

openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Android

The Android developers should be able to help.

Can someone post a link for latest ovms for a 1.5? With Android? Sorry I am such a noob. Want to get right one.

There was a pre-xmas run on both EU and US kits, so all sold out. New stock coming mid-January. Fasttech will probably get it first (they are logistically closer), and EU about a week later.

I guess you are in USA? If so, you need:

https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...s-v3-kit-w-sim5360-3g-modem-module-us-edition
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000001/9665972-ovms-data-cable-for-early-teslas
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10000001/1000500-openvehicles-ovms-gsm-antenna

Or message me directly and I can sort you out now. I have a handful of units in Hong Kong with me. I can also pre-configure for you if that would be helpful.

Regards, Mark.

Reactions: drewski
I posted about this issue in the JdeMO for Roadster thread where my OVMS appears to freeze up if I send a command like PIN Lock or Valet Mode, but more appropriate here, especially since I've ruled out the JdeMO harness as a culprit.

I get no confirmation or error message(s) when the command is sent, and then the OVMS appears to "freeze". I don't know if it's actually in a crashed state, but the symptoms i see are:
  • No new notifications
  • The last connected counter in the upper right of the Car screen keeps going up.
  • Doesn't respond to commands (i.e. no response to "OTA Status").
What debugging steps should I do to determine if it's the OVMS, the App or Car? or User Error:oops:
  • OVMS firmware v3.2.008
  • App Android v3.15.1
  • Car v2.0 on firmware 4.7.2 hardware 33
I'm not a programmer and an OVMS noobie, but reasonably handy. If there are logs to pull, let me know.

I posted about this issue in the JdeMO for Roadster thread where my OVMS appears to freeze up if I send a command like PIN Lock or Valet Mode, but more appropriate here, especially since I've ruled out the JdeMO harness as a culprit.

I get no confirmation or error message(s) when the command is sent, and then the OVMS appears to "freeze". I don't know if it's actually in a crashed state, but the symptoms i see are:
  • No new notifications
  • The last connected counter in the upper right of the Car screen keeps going up.
  • Doesn't respond to commands (i.e. no response to "OTA Status").
What debugging steps should I do to determine if it's the OVMS, the App or Car?
  • OVMS firmware v3.2.008
  • App Android v3.15.1
  • Car v2.0 on firmware 4.7.2 hardware 33
I'm not a programmer and an OVMS noobie, but reasonably handy. If there are logs to pull, let me know.
What I would do (have done!) is to access the module's serial console. There's a mini USB port on the end of the box opposite from where the cable goes to the Diagnostic port. Plug a USB cable into that, and the other end into a laptop, and fire up the serial terminal emulator of your choice (I use Putty). BAUD rate is 115200.

It should be pretty obvious what's happening by looking at the output. My guess is that the module is in some sort of crash loop, eventually coming up in a "safe mode" where the network connection is not enabled. What we need is a capture of the tombstone that gets printed when it crashes.

One question... Do you have an OBDII device attached to the module, using the obd2ecu OBDII translation / emulation utility? The .008 version has a bug in the handling of the CAN bus by that process, which causes the module to crash when the OBDII device starts talking to the module. The bug has been fixed, and will be in the next released version.

What I would do (have done!) is to access the module's serial console. There's a mini USB port on the end of the box opposite from where the cable goes to the Diagnostic port. Plug a USB cable into that, and the other end into a laptop, and fire up the serial terminal emulator of your choice (I use Putty). BAUD rate is 115200.

It should be pretty obvious what's happening by looking at the output. My guess is that the module is in some sort of crash loop, eventually coming up in a "safe mode" where the network connection is not enabled. What we need is a capture of the tombstone that gets printed when it crashes.

Thanks for the advice. OK, need to dig up a mini-USB cable.

Does the log automatically show when i enter the OVMS' console mode and try and execute the command on the App? Or is there a command I need to execute

EDIT: Should have read the next section of the manual on logging!

One question... Do you have an OBDII device attached to the module, using the obd2ecu OBDII translation / emulation utility? The .008 version has a bug in the handling of the CAN bus by that process, which causes the module to crash when the OBDII device starts talking to the module. The bug has been fixed, and will be in the next released version.

i don't have anything else (currently) attached. Just module / modem. I did have the JdeMO in between the port and the module, but i removed that to verify if that was causing the issue (it wasn't)

Last edited:

Attached is a logfile. I'm not sure if I captured the "tombstone" that you mentioned.

There are 3 "Auto init inhibited: too many early crashes (5)" events on lines 1171, 2702, & 4147. Each is closely followed by the modem powering down
Code:
[K[0;32mI (1553) ovms-mdns: Starting MDNS[0m
[K[0;32mI (2283) simcom: State: Enter CheckPowerOff state[0m
[K[0;32mI (11283) housekeeping: System considered stable (RAM: 8b=113788-173928 32b=24840)[0m
[K[0;32mI (16283) simcom: State timeout, transition to 13[0m
[0;32mI (16283) simcom: State: Enter PoweredOff state[0m
[0;32mI (16283) gsm-mux: Stop MUX[0m

Let me know if this provides the info you guys need or if I should redo this to get better data.

Attachments

• screenlog.0.txt
    220.1 KB · Views: 48
Drewski,

The message 'Auto init inhibited: too many early crashes (5)' is a warning that it has seen too many repeat crashes, so has reverted to 'safe' mode (turning off most of the options) to be stable.

For the technically inclined, firmware v3.2.008 for your backtrace (0x4008b72f:0x3ffdd6d0 0x4008b9c9:0x3ffdd6f0 0x40097765:0x3ffdd710 0x4018ccaa:0x3ffdd730 0x4015ba95:0x3ffdd7a0 0x4027fee2:0x3ffdd7e0) gives:

0x4008b72f is in invoke_abort (esp-idf/components/esp32/panic.c:156).
0x4008b9c9 is in abort (esp-idf/components/esp32/panic.c:171).
0x40097765 is in xTimerCreate (esp-idf/components/freertos/timers.c:385).
0x4018ccaa is in OvmsVehicleTeslaRoadster::IncomingFrameCan1(CAN_frame_t*) (components/vehicle_teslaroadster/src/vehicle_teslaroadster.cpp:375).
0x4015ba95 is in OvmsVehicle::RxTask() (components/vehicle/vehicle.cpp:1138).
0x4027fee2 is in OvmsVehicleRxTask(void*) (components/vehicle/vehicle.cpp:940).

So related to a timer being created on reception of a CAN frame. The bug was probably introduced recently (we did some performance optimisation in the CAN drivers, that may have affected this).

Can you try setting config "xtr", "digital.speedo", to false. That should stop the issue affecting you (but disable the digital speedo feature).

I've raised an issue to track this:

Tesla Roadster digital speedo crashing on latest firmware · Issue #324 · openvehicles/Open-Vehicle-Monitoring-System-3

Doesn't seem difficult to fix, and I will look into it this week.