Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Open door Protection?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as you have all probably realized already, the Model 3's doors are not always the easiest to shut completely. My kids are having a hard time closing them completely without leaving them open or slamming them.

Last night I got home late with my son and he got out of the car and I plugged the car in and went inside. Because it was on the later side, I didn't check the car with the app or TeslaFi.

In the morning, I went to pre-heat the car before I left and got an error something like "cannot start climate, one or more doors open". Went out to the garage and sure enough, my son had left the door open. Crazily enough, the cabin lights were still on! I was shocked, most cars these days have enough intelligence to turn off the cabin lights after a certain period of time so the battery won't run down. I'm hoping that in this case, the Model 3 didn't turn them off because it was hooked up to power and charging.

Does anyone know for sure? If the car door is left ajar, do we risk the 12v battery running flat? Lesson learned to check the app and make sure the car is sleeping and the doors indicate locked before going to bed.

Thanks.

So as you have all probably realized already, the Model 3's doors are not always the easiest to shut completely. My kids are having a hard time closing them completely without leaving them open or slamming them.

Last night I got home late with my son and he got out of the car and I plugged the car in and went inside. Because it was on the later side, I didn't check the car with the app or TeslaFi.

In the morning, I went to pre-heat the car before I left and got an error something like "cannot start climate, one or more doors open". Went out to the garage and sure enough, my son had left the door open. Crazily enough, the cabin lights were still on! I was shocked, most cars these days have enough intelligence to turn off the cabin lights after a certain period of time so the battery won't run down. I'm hoping that in this case, the Model 3 didn't turn them off because it was hooked up to power and charging.

Does anyone know for sure? If the car door is left ajar, do we risk the 12v battery running flat? Lesson learned to check the app and make sure the car is sleeping and the doors indicate locked before going to bed.

Thanks.

I think you are correct reasoning that it was because it was connected to power.

According to the manual it states on Page 123 of Nov 2018:

"Whenever Model 3 is plugged in but not actively charging, it draws energy from the wall outlet instead of using energy stored in the Battery. For example, if you are sitting in Model 3 and using the touchscreen while parked and plugged in, Model 3 draws energy from the wall outlet instead of the Battery."

Sounds like the striker on your door frame may be out of adjustment. Mine were hard to close before I made adjustment. Easy to check with a flashlight. Crouch outside the door and slowly close it. Use the flashlight to watch how the striker loop on door frame aligns with the latch on the door just before it closes all the way. If the loop isn’t going into center of latch, the door will be harder to close. Takes a 45mm torx socket to adjust striker loop.......or a SC / Ranger visit.

Here is thread with more details.
Driver door takes extra effort to close?

Also I believe the Stats app will alert you if a door is left open. Would be nice if Tesla app would as well.