Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario - Flo chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We tried to use a 150 kW Ivy charger with our CCS adapter at an ONroute stop during our recent trip to Tremblant. I couldn't figure out how to get their app to start the charger, so I scanned the QR, logged in with my account, manually entered the credit card details, and the charger enabled. We watched it negotiate for a minute or so, then gave up watching and did our quick rest stop while trusting the equipment to take care of itself in the meantime. When we got back out, both car and charger reported that negotiation had failed. A Polestar 2 that was pulling up to the charger beside us when we went in was already gone, so I assume that they couldn't get theirs work either. We just stuck to the Superchargers after that...
Flo, blows....

• Funny
Reactions: richyrich
And this is a huge competitive advantage for Tesla. I would conside a non-Tesla EV as my next car, but charging when not at home is an issue.
If I were Tesla I would not allow third party charging at SCs as the SC network gives Tesla a large competitive advantage.

We tried to use a 150 kW Ivy charger with our CCS adapter at an ONroute stop during our recent trip to Tremblant. I couldn't figure out how to get their app to start the charger, so I scanned the QR, logged in with my account, manually entered the credit card details, and the charger enabled. We watched it negotiate for a minute or so, then gave up watching and did our quick rest stop while trusting the equipment to take care of itself in the meantime. When we got back out, both car and charger reported that negotiation had failed. A Polestar 2 that was pulling up to the charger beside us when we went in was already gone, so I assume that they couldn't get theirs work either. We just stuck to the Superchargers after that...
Had the same experience a couple of times at the Ivy at Barrie Enroute last fall. So gave up. But supposedly Ivy has upgraded their system recently, and so I was going to try again. But now, maybe not.

My other issue was that the cables and CCS adapter are so bulky and stiff, especially in the cold, that I was afraid the socket would break. If I do ever try again, it'll be warm and sunny.

Reactions: KevinT3141
And this is a huge competitive advantage for Tesla. I would conside a non-Tesla EV as my next car, but charging when not at home is an issue.
If I were Tesla I would not allow third party charging at SCs as the SC network gives Tesla a large competitive advantage.

Yeah I got my call for a Lightning a few months ago. Quite fancied it but the fact they wanted $20k+ more than the day 1 price PLUS my concern over whether I'd be able to reliably do my regular Toronto<>Ottawa trips led me to a big NOPE.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Had the same experience a couple of times at the Ivy at Barrie Enroute last fall. So gave up. But supposedly Ivy has upgraded their system recently, and so I was going to try again. But now, maybe not.

We made an unplanned stop at the Barrie ONroute on Sunday, so I thought I'd give Ivy's 150 kW charger another go using our Tesla CCS adapter. I figured out how to start it with the app this time, the handshake was quick, and it levelled out at 57 kW. We weren't there long enough for the battery to get up to temperature, so I don't know what it's true potential could have been.

We got 4.8 kWh for $0.75. I'm not sure how that compares to Supercharging, as all of that is done under my wife's Tesla account...

Reactions: brulaz
We did our first Flo CCS charge on the weekend. My wife's a visiting nurse and was the on-call on Saturday, but we forgot to charge it to 100% overnight instead of the usual 80. Sure enough while doing our own running around late in the day it began to look like we'd come up short. We were stopping at a Canadian Tire anyway and own Tesla's CCS adapter, so used their 50 kW Flo charger. I've had a Flo account with some coin in the wallet for years now thanks to the occasional Level 2 charge on my Ioniq Plug-in (and a Flo Home X5 in our garage), so it wasn't too hard to get it going with their app, although their RFID card would be quicker. In the time it took us to shop we got more than enough margin to finish out the day, with contingency in case my wife got called out again. Not as pain-free as a Supercharger, but it was where we were at (Stratford), and probably cheaper.

Last edited: