Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ontario EV Rebates Cancelled July 11, 2018

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost exact same page for me, really don’t want to cancel, waiting for any communication from Tesla to convince me to stay but nothing yet, my only side note is I’m concerned about the possibility of another incentive being created short term (federal) since we are getting close to the buy votes for election timing.

Exactly! Two fears...I cancel and then by some miracle the rebate for 'tesla' deliveries within September time frame is allowed OR the feds come up with something and because I bought during this time frame I get sucked into a black hole of nothingness in terms of rebate money. Really think my decision will need to be based on the value I place on the car, gas savings, looking cool, fighting the man, green initiatives, etc...and pretend the rebate never existed...easier said then done.

Any existing Model 3 owners (after experiencing the car beyond the honeymoon phase) still think they would buy the car without the rebate?

Any existing Model 3 owners (after experiencing the car beyond the honeymoon phase) still think they would buy the car without the rebate?

Yes, would not go back to ICE and even looking at “luxury” cars nothing for the $ comes close (why buy a Motorola RAZR when you can get an iPhone 3GS for the same money?). However, like any purchase, only buy what you can afford. If you weren’t looking at a well equipped 3 series or equivalent car originally then consider the opportunity cost of spending $70k.

Note, total cost of ownership of an EV will be lower than an equivalent ICE in any corresponding segment.

Reactions: mahagala
Exactly! Two fears...I cancel and then by some miracle the rebate for 'tesla' deliveries within September time frame is allowed OR the feds come up with something and because I bought during this time frame I get sucked into a black hole of nothingness in terms of rebate money. Really think my decision will need to be based on the value I place on the car, gas savings, looking cool, fighting the man, green initiatives, etc...and pretend the rebate never existed...easier said then done.

I wish an incentive introduced at the federal level, but I think this is doubtful considering the upcoming election next year. Introducing an incentive will provide some opposing party to do what Ford did with this "elect me and I will cancel incentives for millionaires buying ev and reduce the gas price". Maybe if Liberal wins again, they may introduce after that.

Of course, I hope I am wrong and that there is an incentive already in the works to be introduced at federal level.

Awesome. Thanks for putting my suggested choices into something actionable!

Want me to add a simple summary chart to the spreadsheet? Just give my row 11 email edit rights. Happy to help.

Can people see the summary chart on the results spreadsheet? It's on the 2nd tab. I could paste a graphic here, but don't want to influence those who haven't voted yet.

Thx.

Reactions: lscalzo
How many of you are planning to cancel? I received a call from the Ombudsman.... they are working on it. Also, if I can get an estimate on number of consumers in this predicament, I’m going to see if we can go the judiciary review (for a class action). I’ll have more info on that tomorrow.

In the meantime it will be helpful to know how many of you are sitting the fence and even if you have got the car, you would otherwise have qualified?

I’ll have to cancel.
Holding out as long as possible though. Ordered June 27th, submitted all documentation June 28th and now waiting for a VIN.

I don’t want to fall into some gap between EHVIP and a Federal program so I’ll cancel and come back when (if) that’s established.

Last edited:
I’ll have to cancel.
Holding out as long as possible though. Ordered June 27th, submitted all documentation June 28th and now waiting for a VIN.

I don’t want to fall into some gab between EHVIP and a Federal program so I’ll cancel and come back when (if) that’s established.

Please vote in the poll:

Here is a Google form. It will be easier to track the responses.

EV Rebate Cancellation Poll

Here is the summary:

EV POLL (Responses)

Reactions: BKR1986
Yes, would not go back to ICE and even looking at “luxury” cars nothing for the $ comes close (why buy a Motorola RAZR when you can get an iPhone 3GS for the same money?). However, like any purchase, only buy what you can afford. If you weren’t looking at a well equipped 3 series or equivalent car originally then consider the opportunity cost of spending $70k.

Note, total cost of ownership of an EV will be lower than an equivalent ICE in any corresponding segment.

Good points! Thanks-good to hear from someone that owns one...it does help in my decision making!

I like how the color scheme for the chart is the Google logo colors:)

If you haven't voted yet, please vote before reading the following.

There are two charts now. To the one on the results spreadsheet (below), I assigned colours based on how "green" and pro-Tesla it was. It's a small sample, but so far ~27% have or will likely cancel their order. But 69% have been affected by the withdrawal of the rebate for Tesla Model 3's by making them at least reconsider whether to purchase now. So that suggests rebate programs have a significant impact on the migration to EVs:

upload_2018-7-25_7-54-18.png

Another thing to consider is that this poll doesn't include the opinions of the general public who haven't reserved a Model 3 but might consider one if there was a rebate.

I'm in the green "proceeding anyways" camp, so I leave it up to others if and how this information could be used to challenge the Ford decision. More votes would be good too.

If you haven't voted yet, please vote before reading the following.

There are two charts now. To the one on the results spreadsheet (below), I assigned colours based on how "green" and pro-Tesla it was. It's a small sample, but so far ~27% have or will likely cancel their order. But 69% have been affected by the withdrawal of the rebate for Tesla Model 3's by making them at least reconsider whether to purchase now. So that suggests rebate programs have a significant impact on the migration to EVs:

View attachment 320062
Another thing to consider is that this poll doesn't include the opinions of the general public who haven't reserved a Model 3 but might consider one if there was a rebate.

I'm in the green "proceeding anyways" camp, so I leave it up to others if and how this information could be used to challenge the Ford decision. More votes would be good too.
ummm… I think this is where I point out red and yellow are the same.

Reserved on Apr 11/16
Got the configuration email on Apr 25/18
Ordered a blue RWD with AP on Jun 27/18 - knowing that the new PC gov't will cut the incentive but was hoping for a grace period.
Cancelled Jul 18/18 - $69k is somewhat expensive with the incentive. $83k is just way too much!

Sigh, I've waited for the car for 2 years. I have even upgraded my house to 200 Amp service with all the rough-in for 2 charging station in the garage... All the efforts and anticipation to come to this massive disappointment. I guess I'll just have to keep driving my old Kia Optima until EV prices come down or new incentive from the Feds. I'm just so sick and tired of being robbed by the big oil/gas company at the station!

You want to spend $69,000.00 on a car but worried about $2,000.00 per year in fuel cost over electricity? There is far more cost in depreciation on the car than this little amount of fuel cost. If you are buying the car to help the environment that's one thing but it does not make economic sense at this point to buy a new EV. Really if you care about the environment you should use public transportation and reduce all your transportation needs. That's way farther than I am willing to go at this point.

I like living in a bedroom community and commuting to work.

Here is a google form. It will be easier to track the responses.

EV Rebate Cancellation Poll

Here is the response sheet

EV POLL (Responses)

Can you change cancelled and bought ICE car to cancelled and keeping my ICE car? Both respondents are keeping their current vehicle but this was the best option so they picked it. And maybe add another option for cancelling and buying an ICE car?