Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

One more 90% charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get free charging at work and I got to work once a week. If I charge to 90% that day, then its more than enough for the rest of entire week (and more). I can also possibly do 80%. I was at the Tesla Service center for an unrelated service order and asked the SA about this. He said its absolutely fine to charge the car to 90% once a week (if that allows for your driving). But I know folks here have presented arguments against that in many cases. Just wondering if anyone (who has the car for a few years) has seen any long term issue with this type of charging arrangement?

The main thing is to not let your battery level get too low. If charging to 80% means you end up at 20% or lower, then use 90%. What I would do in such a scenario is charge to 90% at work, and go ahead and plug in at home, but set the charge level to 50% or 60%. That way, you are mostly charging at work, but you are not allowing the car to drop too low during the week in case things come up.

It's also nice because if you decide you need a higher charge during the week for some outing, you just have to pull out your phone, and bump the charge level up.

Last edited:
Reactions: boulder.dude
On occasion the battery state of charge (SOC) of my 2020 Long Range Model has been at 30%:

When delivered to my home Tesla had only charged my 2020 Model Y to 30%,

After Tesla serviced my Model Y (service took 10 days) my Model Y was returned to me with 30% SOC,

I drove a Tesla Model S loaner vehicle for a week and never charged the Model S. I returned the Model S with less than 30% SOC, and

When on a road trip the SOC can fall below 30% before stopping to charge (in fact when Supercharging it is preferable to charge when the SOC is low for fastest Supercharging.)

The rest of the time I keep the battery SOC between 60% and 90% (usually between 65% and 85% out of convenience. I know I can add up to 10% SOC to the battery per hour (when charging at home at 240V and 32 amps or 200V and 30 amps when charging at a public charging station) when charging, I keep that in mind as I plan my driving and charging needs.

If charging to 90% and then driving until the battery is between 20% and 30% meets your needs I would not be concerned. The Tesla Model Y does not perform at peak power when the battery state of charge is low. Some features such as Cabin Overheat Protection, Sentry Mode are disabled when the battery SOC is below 20%. When the SOC is below 20% the Tesla Model Y displays a message on the screen that you should plug in the Tesla vehicle and charge. (The latest Tesla software release now lets you precondition the Tesla Model Y when the battery SOC is less than 20%.)

Last edited:
It’s fine depending what your goals are.

If you want the convenience of using the car all week without having to charge at home then charge to 90%.

How much charge do you typically have remaining when you arrive back to work after a week of driving? I would target to arrive back at work with about 20%, so charge to whatever let’s you get back to work the next week with ~20%.

If you want to minimize battery degradation then there’s a long thread here somewhere explaining the reasoning behind setting the charge limit as low as possible.

I have a free charger in the office too and I charge my car to 90% every shift for the past 15 months and sometimes I will charge it to 100% if I have plans after work. On my day offs I usually go to Electrify Canada or Superchargers since I don't have a charger at home.
From my own records, 52% of the charging is from AC and 48% from DC (Supercharger & Electrify Canada/America) for the life of the car. The current mileage is 43,000 km and the battery degradation is 5.1%, in line with the Fleet Average, according to Tessie.

if it helps, I have charged to 90% 5 days a week for 7 years, drove100 miles a day for 5 of those years, and i went from a 100% of 252 to 231 in all that time.

Thats cool, but based on the time frame you give it definitely was not either a model 3 or Y, so was a tesla vehicle with different battery chemistry than both model 3s and Ys have, so not relevant to this OPs model Y.

Reactions: ionsphere
Thanks everyone for posting Great wealth of information on this forum. I will continue to charge to 90% for a few months and will make sure that it does not drop below 50% (except in a few cases when I am long distance). If I see that I can get by 80%, I will try to drop to 80 or 85%. I do have tesla wall connector at home but now I think I should *NOT* have installed it. Oh well, I guess I was thinking this through when I got it installed. Anyway, its good to have it when I need it. Although we have tons of Superchargers in the area where we live. Also, Electricity is actually quite expensive in MA where I live. Its now around $0.35 per KW which is quite high and is borderline closer to gas prices.

There is absolutely no problem with going under 50% SOC. The only effect will be that your car has less power available but it's not a dramatic drop in power until you get under 20% or so. Leaving it at 20% or less is only slightly risky when it's cold outside and you might come back to your car the next day with up to 7% less available SOC than what was in the previous evening (due to the battery being cold).

• Helpful
Reactions: jcanoe and E90alex
Thanks everyone for posting Great wealth of information on this forum. I will continue to charge to 90% for a few months and will make sure that it does not drop below 50% (except in a few cases when I am long distance). If I see that I can get by 80%, I will try to drop to 80 or 85%. I do have tesla wall connector at home but now I think I should *NOT* have installed it. Oh well, I guess I was thinking this through when I got it installed. Anyway, its good to have it when I need it. Although we have tons of Superchargers in the area where we live. Also, Electricity is actually quite expensive in MA where I live. Its now around $0.35 per KW which is quite high and is borderline closer to gas prices.
There is no reason to not go below 50%, in fact it’s better for battery longevity to stay at a lower charge level.

If you are charging to 90% and still not going below 50% by the following week then you can stand to charge to 60-70% and be fine.

You can always increase it if you have plans to drive farther that weekend, or just top up at home as needed before a longer trip.

If you are not concerned about long term battery degradation and longevity then stick with 90%. But I assume you are, at least a little, because otherwise you wouldn’t have made this thread.