Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[On-Going] Model S-friendly & Best Car Park List

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think all they offer IS 13A - and that would be the reason they don't specify it?

It's pathetic.

I asked since April 2014 (maybe even earlier), if the management could install one or more chargers, and offered my help several times. Same answers, nothing happened.

Lots of chargers in HK, but most are 13A, inside private compounds, ICED, broken and so on - and the few "high speed" chargers are either ChaDeMo (which Tesla Motors are still testing, and not supporting), or just difficult to get to.

13A could be used as long term / overnight charging, not much else. It's great for a Renault Twizy or any electric scooter - except neither are approved in Hong Kong.

We need something serious done about the charging right now. I hope Tesla Motors is listening, and will step up the efforts. More superchargers, NOW, and also out in the districts (not a single charger above 13A West of Tsuen Wan as far as I can see, apart from one (1) ChaDeMo in Yuen Long)

Just like the introduction of a new network of mobile phone services, it could be expensive in the beginning, then becoming cheaper as it gets more wide spread. I am happy to pay premium - for a while - but something must happen! You cannot offer a "2G" solution and charge (!) for LTE/4G!

For those of us who cannot (yet) charge where we park overnight (or at work), we need those fast chargers NOW, and not just in the city areas.

"Best Car Park List" for an EV is tightly connected not only to space and cost to park, but also what charging possibilities there are. How about making the list into a table format, with columns that can be sorted/filtered? Could possibly be in Google Docs, just like the deposit/order/delivery tally I am running. And a map, please.

And how/where can we give feedback to PlugShare so it can be a little more comprehensive and accurate?

I think all they offer IS 13A - and that would be the reason they don't specify it?

It's pathetic.

I asked since April 2014 (maybe even earlier), if the management could install one or more chargers, and offered my help several times. Same answers, nothing happened.

Lots of chargers in HK, but most are 13A, inside private compounds, ICED, broken and so on - and the few "high speed" chargers are either ChaDeMo (which Tesla Motors are still testing, and not supporting), or just difficult to get to.

13A could be used as long term / overnight charging, not much else. It's great for a Renault Twizy or any electric scooter - except neither are approved in Hong Kong.

We need something serious done about the charging right now. I hope Tesla Motors is listening, and will step up the efforts. More superchargers, NOW, and also out in the districts (not a single charger above 13A West of Tsuen Wan as far as I can see, apart from one (1) ChaDeMo in Yuen Long)

Just like the introduction of a new network of mobile phone services, it could be expensive in the beginning, then becoming cheaper as it gets more wide spread. I am happy to pay premium - for a while - but something must happen! You cannot offer a "2G" solution and charge (!) for LTE/4G!

For those of us who cannot (yet) charge where we park overnight (or at work), we need those fast chargers NOW, and not just in the city areas.

"Best Car Park List" for an EV is tightly connected not only to space and cost to park, but also what charging possibilities there are. How about making the list into a table format, with columns that can be sorted/filtered? Could possibly be in Google Docs, just like the deposit/order/delivery tally I am running. And a map, please.

And how/where can we give feedback to PlugShare so it can be a little more comprehensive and accurate?

DITB, below is a map of carparks with charging facilities, there are 31 car parks with 32A (Type 2 charging facilities) within Hong Kong. Some of these locations have up to 5 or 6 Type 2 plugs just in case if some of these parking slots are occupied by the ICE cars. I hope some of these locations are near where you live or work while we are waiting for more Superchargers to be installed around Hong Kong.

http://www.hkev.com.hk/pvdCharger?group=all&lang=en_HK

Last edited:
DITB, below is a map of carparks with charging facilities, there are 31 car parks with 32A (Type 2 charging facilities) within Hong Kong. Some of these locations have up to 5 or 6 Type 2 plugs just in case if some of these parking slots are occupied by the ICE cars. I hope some of these locations are near where you live or work while we are waiting for more Superchargers to be installed around Hong Kong.

http://www.hkev.com.hk/pvdCharger?group=all&lang=en_HK

As I wrote, most of these are ChaDeMo (which Tesla Motors doesn't yet support), and only one of these is West of Tsuen Wan. I will have to drive quite far, cross at least one toll road/bridge, just to get to anything else than 13A.

I know of that map, and you try and deselect the 13A stations - not many locations left then.

999 posts now - next post will not be until I HAVE MY CAR FINALLY!!!!!

Hehe :)

My (strong) suggestion is for us all to get behind Open Charge Map.

The plethora of charge station databases and apps is incredibly frustrating. Nobody is sharing data, and with most the outlet types are not suitable for a global audience. See DITB's comment about what 'EuroPlug' means in PlugShare.

The Open Charge Map project is a completely free and open database of public charging stations, global in scope, and with an open API and some example Apps. It is trivial to implement the API in your own apps / web pages (for example, my project Open Vehicles integrated it into both our iOS and Android Apps, to show charging stations within your current range). End-users help to maintain the database, as well as periodic bulk-transfers from participating charging networks.

A while ago, I submitted a batch update of the 1,000+ charging stations in Hong Kong, and I maintain a spreadsheet for Hong Kong charging stations. I haven't had a chance to produce an update/diff against the latest 100+ type 2 charging points (if anyone wants to help with this, please let me know).

The plethora of charge station databases and apps is incredibly frustrating. Nobody is sharing data, and with most the outlet types are not suitable for a global audience. See DITB's comment about what 'EuroPlug' means in PlugShare.

The Open Charge Map project is a completely free and open database of public charging stations, global in scope, and with an open API and some example Apps. It is trivial to implement the API in your own apps / web pages (for example, my project Open Vehicles integrated it into both our iOS and Android Apps, to show charging stations within your current range). End-users help to maintain the database, as well as periodic bulk-transfers from participating charging networks.

A while ago, I submitted a batch update of the 1,000+ charging stations in Hong Kong, and I maintain a spreadsheet for Hong Kong charging stations. I haven't had a chance to produce an update/diff against the latest 100+ type 2 charging points (if anyone wants to help with this, please let me know).

Send it my way, I will try to find some time to get that updated. I just PM you with my personal email address.

In Diamond Hill Hollyplaza, in each 13A charging port, there is a 16A IEC309-2 port. Anyone knows if it is suitable for Model S and any adaptor available? thanks!
IMG_2684.JPG
IMG_2683.JPG

There is not really an easy way to use that socket. The European Tesla Mobile Connector does not have an adapter for this. Their Blue adapter is for the larger 32A version. The closest thing is a portable EVSE like this one from EVConnectors that has a 16A Schuko plug. You would have to make or buy an adapter from the Blue CEE to Schuko. When you use the Schuko adapter on the Tesla MC, it draws 13A. On the whole, it's not really worth it to purchase a solution for the Blue socket if you can already use the BS1363 next to it.

There is not really an easy way to use that socket. The European Tesla Mobile Connector does not have an adapter for this. Their Blue adapter is for the larger 32A version. The closest thing is a portable EVSE like this one from EVConnectors that has a 16A Schuko plug. You would have to make or buy an adapter from the Blue CEE to Schuko. When you use the Schuko adapter on the Tesla MC, it draws 13A. On the whole, it's not really worth it to purchase a solution for the Blue socket if you can already use the BS1363 next to it.

Hi Miimura, thanks for the great info! :-D

I agree I signed up to it..

Tuen Mun Town Plaza Phase 1 (tmtplaza phase 1) Google Maps Can be accessed from either way of the Tuen Mun - Yuen Long highway. Both entrances will lead to the same area (follow the green EV signs to 3rd floor). There are only two spots, and they are 13A, but charging is free (parking is not, although there is the usual discount if you buy something pricey enough at the mall). Use Octopus to activate - a bit annoying - but in the end, the price is still 0 HKD. As you exit, you can chose between Yuen Long or Tsuen Wan direction, so there is no need to cross the highway.

NOTE: Avoid phase 3, use phase 1!

Outback Steakhouse recommended for a good dinner, and the shopping mall has a good selection of shops and restaurants (though signs are ridiculously lacking and misleading), good luck to find your way around.

Tuen Mun Town Plaza Phase 1 (tmtplaza phase 1) Google Maps Can be accessed from either way of the Tuen Mun - Yuen Long highway. Both entrances will lead to the same area (follow the green EV signs to 3rd floor). There are only two spots, and they are 13A, but charging is free (parking is not, although there is the usual discount if you buy something pricey enough at the mall). Use Octopus to activate - a bit annoying - but in the end, the price is still 0 HKD. As you exit, you can chose between Yuen Long or Tsuen Wan direction, so there is no need to cross the highway.

NOTE: Avoid phase 3, use phase 1!

Outback Steakhouse recommended for a good dinner, and the shopping mall has a good selection of shops and restaurants (though signs are ridiculously lacking and misleading), good luck to find your way around.

Added with thanks!

I have also upgraded to the new Google Map and I will be putting this map up for sharing soon!

Thanks for all your contributions so far!

A map has been added to the first thread, please find link there, hope you like it!

More help is needed from our fellow Tesla Model S owners for the list to expand. This list is different from all others in the sense that it is offers car parks which are safe and easy for the Model S to enter and leave, so it is not just about having a charger.

Thanks for all your contributions so far!

A map has been added to the first thread, please find link there, hope you like it!

More help is needed from our fellow Tesla Model S owners for the list to expand. This list is different from all others in the sense that it is offers car parks which are safe and easy for the Model S to enter and leave, so it is not just about having a charger.

Good job!

Some further corrections:

Tuen Mun Town Plaza, phase 1 and 3, you placed both on the map exactly where P3 is.

P1 (the good one), should be here Google Maps - although, please note that this place can be entered AND exited either direction of the expressway (but you have to turn off, into the outside lane of the expressway obviously)

And here is one more, for the good list:

Gold Coast Piazza Shopping mall parking - Google Maps : Two 13A charging spots, plenty room for Model S sized cars. Discount for parking, but first hour is always paid for (2nd and 3rd hour paid depending on your spendings). Charging is included in the parking price, although you do have to use Octopus to activate it.

Curious. Has anyone come across a car park that does not use a 13A connector? So far, the places I wanted to charge have 13A only. To do 13A, you unfortunately have to buy another cable which is a steep $3700 as previously mentioned. I'm thinking about the 13A cable but not sure if you recoup the costs... I'm not sure why Tesla couldn't give us both cables? The cable that came with the car remains in it original packaging cause I can't find a lot to use it at. Times Sq and Cyberport are 13A. Getting the right connector is important as you get free parking at some of the lots but you must be charging (Cyberport).