Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

OMG: digitaltim’s delivery story…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny, whenever I'm in Menlo Park/Palo Alto and that part of California, I think how lucky I'll be to drive the S back home in Maryland. It's much more beautiful countryside, green and luscious. Now only if the weather would be better...

You should go north from there to northern Mendocino/Humboldt
or drive through Portola valley area/skyline/Half moon bay ( much browner except in winter/ early spring)

I had my first service call today and it was them proactively calling me to address issues that I didn't even know I had with the StarShield (paint armor) on the side mirrors. We are scheduling time to have it addressed.

Lenny, who manages service for the DC location, was great. He comes from the exotic side having ran service for a Ferrari dealer for 15 years. We spent a while on the phone and concluded he is going to be great for those of us serviced out of that location - true professional. While he had me on the phone, I put in my order for 19" wheels w/ Pirellis and also ordered a spare charging cable/14-50 plug to keep at my apt up north.

I am about to head south back to MD so I can finally put some real miles on the car which is anxiously waiting for me at home.

First "Tesla Time" experience tonight...

I spent about 20 minutes outside the Mt. Washington Tavern (Baltimore, MD) tonight showing off the car to the owner and a number of the regular patrons.

I definitely have to factor this into my travel plans.

--Tim

Yeah, I had just picked up dinner yesterday evening and same thing. Spent 20 minutes talking about the car while my food went cold but he seemed interested and said he was thinking about a Porsche Panamera but after seeing the Model S Performance in person, he may change his mind.

1st Baltimore-NJ drive this morning. Here are the stats:

Start: 269 rated miles
Distance/Energy: 196.1 miles 67.8 kWh 346 Wh/m
Average Speed: 65 mph w/ cruise control the majority of the time
End: 34 rated miles

I started w/ a range charge to ensure I could make it in one charge - cannot wait for the DE-based SuperCharger so I can avoid these.

--Tim

Last edited:
1st Baltimore-NJ drive this morning. Here are the stats:

Start: 269 rated miles
Distance/Energy: 196.1 miles 67.8 kWh 346 Wh/m
Average Speed: 65 mph w/ cruise control the majority of the time
End: 34 rated miles

I started w/ a range charge to ensure I could make it in one charge - cannot wait for the DE-based SuperCharger so I can avoid these.

--Tim
Thanks for the numbers here. Makes me more comfortable that my numbers aren't way off the mark.

Since a few people PM'd me asking, here is an untouched photo after tinting with 3M Crystalline - 40 on the sides and rear, 60 in the front - not the best staging or light.

Photo1.jpg

Thanks all!

Here are my service issues in the first two weeks:

- ambient light hum - known issue and being investigated
- front passenger exterior door handle does not always retract
- errant TPMS warnings & other service warnings
- drivers seat does not go that forward - no issue for me @ 5'11" but shorter drivers may have take exception - supposedly a "feature" for airbag safety
- front passenger interior door trim is loose and rattles horribly on close

I will cross post this in the right thread.

Regarding the window tinting:
Did the tint shop run into anything weird?
Any special issues with the Model S door panels?
Aren't you supposed to avoid rolling down the windows for about a week?
Doesn't the Model S roll down the window about an inch each time you open the door?

Thanks all!

Here are my service issues in the first two weeks:

- ambient light hum - known issue and being investigated
- front passenger exterior door handle does not always retract
- errant TPMS warnings & other service warnings
- drivers seat does not go that forward - no issue for me @ 5'11" but shorter drivers may have take exception - supposedly a "feature" for airbag safety
- front passenger interior door trim is loose and rattles horribly on close

I will cross post this in the right thread.
I have the Ambient Light hum also... noticed it at the delivery training and a tech came to show me the workaround until they issue a permanent fix.

Problem is this: If your Ambient Lighting is on, you'll hear a slight humm/buzz on the speakers. They're aware of it and are finding a fix. But until then, if it bothers you, you can just set your "Night Panel Brightness" to 80% or HIGHER and the hum will vanish. Only happens below 75% night time screen brightness. Pretty neat, it just disappears when you raise night panel brightness. Of course you can also just shut off ambient lighting too!

--josh