Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Okay, speculators, what amperage charger will the 3 come with?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a big difference between 1×32A and 3×32A. It makes no sense to assume that if the US model will have the first, the European model will have the latter. This is certainly not the case for the Model S/X chargers. The standard one is 1×48A in the US and 3×16A in Europe. The upgraded charger is 1×72A and 3×24A respectively.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
People will need to be able to charge more quickly, like taking a normal car to the gas pumps. And even though not many charging stations are over 40 amps yet, they are coming.

So what will the 3 have?

Nope. Don't need to charge more quickly like taking the car to the gas pump. I had an outlet put in my garage. The UMC always tops it up overnight. Never been a problem in four and a half years.

You CANNOT top your gas car up in your garage every night! There is no comparison. A 50 amp UMC charging at 40 or less amps is perfect for most people. Doesn't require putting in a new 400 amp circuit breaker box, charges at night when most other appliances are off, etc. 100/80 amp is too big for most needs. I meant Needs. Not Wants.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
There is a big difference between 1×32A and 3×32A. It makes no sense to assume that if the US model will have the first, the European model will have the latter. This is certainly not the case for the Model S/X chargers. The standard one is 1×48A in the US and 3×16A in Europe. The upgraded charger is 1×72A and 3×24A respectively.
I was under the impression that while in the US the 72A unit appears as 1 unit, it is infact 3 smaller units put together (thus working out the 3x24 in 3 phase countries). The 48A unit is the oddball as supposedly it is 2x24 in the US but 3x16 in 3 phase places. Is that not a correct assumption?

Nope. Don't need to charge more quickly like taking the car to the gas pump. I had an outlet put in my garage. The UMC always tops it up overnight. Never been a problem in four and a half years.

You CANNOT top your gas car up in your garage every night! There is no comparison. A 50 amp UMC charging at 40 or less amps is perfect for most people. Doesn't require putting in a new 400 amp circuit breaker box, charges at night when most other appliances are off, etc. 100/80 amp is too big for most needs. I meant Needs. Not Wants.

Well that's all great for you, but I live in a second floor apartment. No garage, and an idiot property manager who does not see things my way about putting in a J1772 charging station.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
Well that's all great for you, but I live in a second floor apartment. No garage, and an idiot property manager who does not see things my way about putting in a J1772 charging station.
What is your use case for needing faster charging? I take it you'll be relying on public infrastructure then? I've yet to come across a J1172 public charging station that exceeds 32 amps.

Do you plan to wait while the car charges somewhere if you can't charge at home? Man, I'm not sure I'd be up to doing that even if 240v/100 a chargers were available.

It sucks, but electric car's just don't fit well with apartment living.

-Jim

Reactions: melindav
What is your use case for needing faster charging? I take it you'll be relying on public infrastructure then? I've yet to come across a J1172 public charging station that exceeds 32 amps.

Do you plan to wait while the car charges somewhere if you can't charge at home? Man, I'm not sure I'd be up to doing that even if 240v/100 a chargers were available.

It sucks, but electric car's just don't fit well with apartment living.

-Jim

My use case is simple.:

'MERICA!!!

We don't need Dodge Charger Hellcats that can break 200 mph, but we have them! Not every charging station may exceed 30 amps, but some do! :)

If I'm spending $40,000 on a car, I don't want its charger to be the restriction!

Attachments

• 'Merica.png
    'Merica.png
    226.1 KB · Views: 51