Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ohlins Road & Track Suspension different versions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I am trying to figure out the differences between Ohlins Road & Track suspension versions TES MU00S1, MU01S1 and MU02S1. How has the suspension been altered? Is it now valved differently? Is it softer or harder? There is also a new "Street Tuned" version available, with id MX00S1.

I have a MIC 2023 M3P, and I am looking for a suspension that is not harsher than stock on potholes, but otherwise rides as firm as possible. I would also like to retain stock height, for practical reasons. You can probably describe my use case as canyon carving; sporty driving on twisty roads, with constant acceleration, braking and turning, on less than ideal road surfaces.

Judging on what I have read on the forum regarding the previous versions, I think the Ohlins MU0xS1 kit with DFV technology and 110/120 N/mm (Front/Rear) springs is exactly what I need. The MX00S1 kit is probably tuned for comfort at 70/80 N/mm. For reference, the stock setup has 60/90 N/mm springs. I have also understood I should refrain from installing harder sway bars, at least for now.

What do you think? BTW, I am based in Europe, so I suppose it is not easy to find Redwood/UP products and support.

TES MU01 has a smaller height on the upper rear spring seat, I think with 8mm for being able to lower the car more, its still possible to get down to 20-25 lower than stock with TES MU00 and even more with removing the lock ring on the spring adjuster. In the front there’s room on the length adjuster to adjust quite much since the ohlins shock is a bit longer than oem.
So TES MU01 was only made to make it possible to lower the cars about 12mm more in the rear.

TES MU02 has a different rear spring, with “OEM” shape on the upper end to be able to have a longer spring with more stroke, and hence be able to have more stroke in the rear damper.
So no upper spring seat in the rear, use OEM upper rubber seat. 150mm stoke in the damper instead of 120mm as MU00 and MU01 has. The new spring also gives more room on the adjuster to lower car even further.

All updates have the same valving and spring rates.

TES MX00 is a pure street/comfort kit, not tuned at all for track performance as the road and track kit is made for and focused on. It’s still possible to close it down quite much to get it stiffer but to me it sounds like you are looking for the road and track kit. It will be more harsh though than oem due to the higher damping forces which is there to give control on track for this relatively heavy car.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2 and ace009
TES MX00 is a pure street/comfort kit, not tuned at all for track performance as the road and track kit is made for and focused on. It’s still possible to close it down quite much to get it stiffer but to me it sounds like you are looking for the road and track kit. It will be more harsh though than oem due to the higher damping forces which is there to give control on track for this relatively heavy car.

For the street you want the mx kit. Mu is very track focused.
Thanks for the input guys. I am concerned about harshness because the roads here are in a really bad shape, but it is the improvement in handling that I am going after. Therefore, I will take my chances with the MU kit and I hope I don't regret it.

By the way, I did not mention it, but I have already switched from 20" to 18" wheels, and now the car drives over potholes and patches like a champ! It rides so well, that I dare to say I don't mind losing a little comfort!

TES MU01 has a smaller height on the upper rear spring seat, I think with 8mm for being able to lower the car more, its still possible to get down to 20-25 lower than stock with TES MU00 and even more with removing the lock ring on the spring adjuster. In the front there’s room on the length adjuster to adjust quite much since the ohlins shock is a bit longer than oem.
So TES MU01 was only made to make it possible to lower the cars about 12mm more in the rear.

TES MU02 has a different rear spring, with “OEM” shape on the upper end to be able to have a longer spring with more stroke, and hence be able to have more stroke in the rear damper.
So no upper spring seat in the rear, use OEM upper rubber seat. 150mm stoke in the damper instead of 120mm as MU00 and MU01 has. The new spring also gives more room on the adjuster to lower car even further.

All updates have the same valving and spring rates.
Thank you @Slowitchu for such a detailed answer!! Please bear with me and let me know if I got everything right, because I am neither a native English speaker, nor an expert with suspension mechanics and terminology.

So, if I got it right, the front suspension has not changed at all; it is only the rear suspension that has been updated twice.

Also, the only practical advantage of MU01 over MU00, is the ability to lower the car about 12mm more in the rear. And the difference comes from the upper rear spring seat. However, when I study the Mounting Instructions, the only difference I have found is the Elastic Spacer Part N. 25601-01 has been replaced by a Plastic Spacer Part N. 25602-01. I see the Upper Spring Seat retain the same Part N. 25618-38. Am I missing something?

The MU02 however has significant changes! The shape of the spring has changed so that the rear Upper Spring Seat has been completely removed and the spring sits directly on the OE upper spring seat. Also the damper stroke has increased from 120mm to 150mm (vs 160mm stock?), which means there is 1) more suspension travel and 2) the option to lower the rear even more. I can't find the Mounting Instructions for MU02S1, but I can see the same spring seat setup at the MX00S1 Mounting Instructions. Can anyone post the Mounting Instructions for MU02S1, or somehow verify the lack of rear Upper Spring Seat and that "Shock Absorber Rear" Part N. TES 6U00 has changed to a different part number, such as TES 6U01 perhaps?

In my case, I don't want to lower the car at all, because I want to be able to clear rocks, ramps and other obstacles. Therefore, would it be fair to say that MU00 and MU01 are more or less the same to me in practical terms, but MU02 is a big improvement because of the increased suspension travel? And that this difference will not be felt until the point when I would hit the limit on the MU01? Meaning that 99% of the time I would not feel a difference, but it would be much easier to use up (expend? not sure if that is the right word) the suspension travel of the MU01, at which point the MU01 becomes much more harsh than MU02?

For instance, I have in mind a specific 90o sharp right turn with some mid turn undulations that I like to take at the limit. With stock suspension and 20" wheels, when the car has already leaned to the side and it hits the undulations, I expend the suspension travel and I hear a thumping sound (but no scraping sound). With the 18" wheels this problem was resolved, but the car still feels just as unbalanced as before, if not more so. Would you expect the MU01 to bottom out even with the 18" wheels? There will be far less leaning but far less suspension travel too. Or will I probably be able to use the 20" wheels with the MU02 without expending the suspension travel, because of far less leaning but similar suspension travel? What do you think?

I am asking because I have found the MU00 at a reasonable discount (~20%) and I can have it installed in a week's time, but MU02 is not yet available AFAIK. Is it worth it for my use case to wait a little longer and perhaps pay a little more for the MU02 version?