Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Ohlins - Road & Track DFV Coilover Systems - In Stock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And already got a reply from Ohlins:

Kind of what we figured, but good to get confirmation nonetheless.

I had the RT kit installed last week on my Model Y and can confirm the experience of other users that the rear dampers are stiffer than the front dampers at the same setting, and that setting the rear dampers past 20 clicks they continue to get softer.

I discussed this with Redwood and this is also consistent with their experience. The rear dampers have more clicks per rotation (16 vs 6), and this run higher clicks to get comparable setting to the front, and have a higher total number of clicks (60+ vs 20+)

Sadly, Ohlins USA seems to be misinformed about their own product! I called them and they reiterated that at 20 clicks the dampers we're fully opened, but I can tell you that the difference between even 25 and 30 is significant and noticeable.

Just to clarify I only found the rears to be firmer than front at the same settings, but the springs on my car are different to standard R&T (8/11 vs 11/12) I kind of expect the rears to be firmer, I will change the settings in the front to compensate for that.
You have a triple effect At the same setting your fronts are going to be significantly softer than the rear, due to softer springs, revalved dampers, and what I mentioned above about the relative number of clicks in each.
With the fronts at let's say full soft, 20 clicks, the front suspension is just that - soft and plush. The rears however at 20 clicks are not nearly as soft. When I crank them down to like 30 clicks, they become just about equal in softness. Is there a chance the front and rear shocks have different dampening capabilities?
Not necessarily different damping capabilities but certainly different adjustment capabilities. I'm still playing around with my settings but have found 15 front and 30 rear to be in the same ballpark range of damping.

Redwood's best estimate was that the rear needs to be set to about 2.5x the front to achieve comparable damping and ride quality.

Well that sucks. I was ready to pull the trigger on this and just hearing this will hold me back now unless there is a fix and/or official statement by Ohlins on this. Would be good to know what is the full rear min/max click range.

Obviously much prefer to have equal damper click range front/rear to quickly get to a setpoint looking for.

New website, new links! Ohlins kits in stock ready to ship or install in-house!

Just ordered Ohlins RT for Model Y LR. I also reside in the NYC area and would you say that the ride quality is better? And what settings are you using them at ? How much did the install cost and which shop did you get them installed at , if you don't mind me asking.

I just placed an order for the Ohlins RT! I have a model Y LR and drive in NYC area too. Did this make the ride quality comfortable? Also, what shop did you NYC folks install it at and how much did it cost?
Installed myself, and no it did not make the ride more comfortable. Regrettably, just the opposite. Handling and control improved tenfold, but ride quality left a lot to be desired, especially in and around the NYC tri-state area. The tradeoff was just too great for me and my family to keep the kit. Sold it all to a fellow enthusiast who wanted to use it on a more track-oriented vehicle, which it'll be more at home on. Good luck with your Y! Hope the Ohlins kit works out for your needs.

I just placed an order for the Ohlins RT! I have a model Y LR and drive in NYC area too. Did this make the ride quality comfortable? Also, what shop did you NYC folks install it at and how much did it cost?
I installed the Redwood Ohlins DFV kit in my driveway. I live in LIC but I don’t have any personal experience with the Ohlins RT kit. Good luck!

Installed myself, and no it did not make the ride more comfortable. Regrettably, just the opposite. Handling and control improved tenfold, but ride quality left a lot to be desired, especially in and around the NYC tri-state area. The tradeoff was just too great for me and my family to keep the kit. Sold it all to a fellow enthusiast who wanted to use it on a more track-oriented vehicle, which it'll be more at home on. Good luck with your Y! Hope the Ohlins kit works out for your needs.
Dang. Now I kinda wish I hadn't pulled the trigger on them and did more research first. Are you back on stock?

Ohlins Coilovers IN STOCK - no waiting. Contact us to get a set today!

52611475471_04f6e6b7d1_b.jpg

Authorized Ohlins Retailer & Installer - Ohlins kits in stock! Drop by to get yours installed or shipped to your door!

52303326617_01055f902b_b.jpg

A new Ohlins Coilover Street Tuned kit has been released for Tesla Model 3/Model Y, as well as an update to the existing R&T kit.

Ohlins-Road_TrackDFVCoiloverSystem-TeslaModel3_ModelY1_1200x1200.jpg

Introducing the latest addition to our automotive range—the Öhlins Street Tuned system for Tesla Model 3/Model Y. Developed utilizing our proven DFV technology monotube shocks with a sharp focus on comfort, the new Street Tuned suspension offers a refined ride quality without compromising vehicle handling and body control. DFV technology is utilized to reduce harshness on rough roads where basic, OE suspensions (and entry level coilovers) can feel coarse and low on grip.

Adjustable ride height allows exact desired stance and look every customer can custom tailor to their preferences. The dampers are individually adjustable through a wide range of 20 defined clicks for precise tuning ranging from comfort focused to improved handling over OE. At the heart of this system is a monotube damper architecture with DFV technology, designed for heightened responsiveness. This is complemented by strengthened large bore shocks, enhancing the system's resilience against wear and tear, together with lightweight aluminum body, reducing the overall unsprung weight on the vehicle.

Öhlins new Street Tuned suspension package combines unparalleled ride comfort with premium features and tuning options, resulting in the ultimate comfort upgrade for Tesla Model Y. No matter your destination, the Öhlins Street Tuned dampers deliver a smoother ride with superior handling and control, ensuring a safer, more comfortable journey for you and your passengers.

If Tesla owners prefer a sportier option the Ohlins Road & Track system will be available, with an updated specification which includes additional suspension travel for maintained performance when loaded with cargo and additional occupants.

Öhlins R&T Coilovers (Street Tuned) General Features
  • Designed for maximum ride comfort
  • Dual Flow Valve (DFV) technology
  • Rebuildable
  • Corrosion salt spray tested (ISO 9227)
  • 2 year limited warranty
  • Complete suspension kit with springs and accessories included
Front Features
  • Conventional shock absorber
  • Single bleed adjuster
  • Spring preload adjuster
  • Height adjustable (0-10mm lower than standard is recommended)
  • Coil springs (rate 70 N/mm)
  • Use with original top mounts
Rear Features
  • Conventional shock absorber
  • Single bleed adjuster
  • Separate spring preload adjuster
  • Height adjustable (0-10 mm lower than standard is recommended)
  • Coil springs (rate 80 N/mm)
  • Use with original top mounts
Both kits are currently shipping, the Street Tuned has a limited time promotion of $200 off until 5/30.

Ohlins R&T Coilovers

Ohlins R&T Coilovers (Street Tuned)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: slzeal