Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: TSLA Shareholder Meeting 2016 Questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not sure how Tesla does it but most companies quarterly earnings calls are strictly to present financial results and generally for financial analysts only. Generally takes place on a conference call. Many take a few questions but they are financially focused. The shareholders meetings are separate in person events for shareholders.

Well I did mean that we as a group could come up with financial questions, not product or feature related primarily.

I'm not sure how Tesla does it but most companies quarterly earnings calls are strictly to present financial results and attended by financial analysts only. They usually take place on a conference call. Many take a few questions but they are financially focused. The shareholders meetings are separate in person events for shareholders.

I totally get the difference and I know that some people are concerned with teeshirts, job opportunities and asking 'where's my bike dude' at the wrong meeting....But I agree with Johan...we could get better questions, in general, and financial ones specifically.

My question was answered in the 2.5 hour long speech. Initial cell production will be the new 20700-format. ... The battery format gives Tesla an additional advantage over the other car makers who are currently using, or intend to use 18650-cells.

Are there any other manufacturers considering 18650 cells (or any cylindrical cells) rather than larger-format prismatic cells? What I've heard and read is that all the other manufacturers consider Tesla to be crazy for using cylindrical cells, and that it only made sense as a means to bootstrap into using lithium-ion as an automotive battery by starting from an existing commodity component. Martin Eberhard emphasized the idea of using commodity cells in the original Tesla business plan. JB made clear in the presentation that he and the battery team consider the 20700 cell to be optimal after considering tradeoffs.

I totally get the difference and I know that some people are concerned with teeshirts, job opportunities and asking 'where's my bike dude' at the wrong meeting....But I agree with Johan...we could get better questions, in general, and financial ones specifically.

"The next question is from Al McJohan of the research firm Morecow, Bellestake & Szizel..."

Are there any other manufacturers considering 18650 cells (or any cylindrical cells) rather than larger-format prismatic cells? What I've heard and read is that all the other manufacturers consider Tesla to be crazy for using cylindrical cells, and that it only made sense as a means to bootstrap into using lithium-ion as an automotive battery by starting from an existing commodity component. Martin Eberhard emphasized the idea of using commodity cells in the original Tesla business plan. JB made clear in the presentation that he and the battery team consider the 20700 cell to be optimal after considering tradeoffs.

Audi.

Audi Pioneering New EV Battery Technology - Gas 2

Faraday Future appeared to be using cylindrical cells for their battery pack design. You also have these guys: Kreisel starts construction of new 800MWh battery factory for high energy density packs for EVs

I'm pretty sure I've seen others as well.

Thanks. That article says the module could contain cylindrical, prismatic or pouch cells, but the rest of the text implies that cylindrical cells are not preferred. Quoting: "Audi says, 'Pouch cells and prismatic cells are more versatile. With minor changes to their exterior dimensions, they can be configured specifically for maximum power output, maximum energy or a combination of both, making them ideal for a plug-in hybrid vehicle.'"

Faraday Future appeared to be using cylindrical cells for their battery pack design. You also have these guys: Kreisel starts construction of new 800MWh battery factory for high energy density packs for EVs

Thanks for the additional examples. I guess what I've heard in the past relates primarily to the major auto manufacturers.

Thanks. That article says the module could contain cylindrical, prismatic or pouch cells, but the rest of the text implies that cylindrical cells are not preferred. Quoting: "Audi says, 'Pouch cells and prismatic cells are more versatile. With minor changes to their exterior dimensions, they can be configured specifically for maximum power output, maximum energy or a combination of both, making them ideal for a plug-in hybrid vehicle.'"

Yeah, reportedly the Audi R8 e-tron has cylindrical cells and possibly the Q6 e-tron too. Obviously BEVs favor maximum specific energy and PHEVs usually favor maximum power density.

That article says the module could contain cylindrical, prismatic or pouch cells, but the rest of the text implies that cylindrical cells are not preferred. Quoting: "Audi says, 'Pouch cells and prismatic cells are more versatile. With minor changes to their exterior dimensions, they can be configured specifically for maximum power output, maximum energy or a combination of both, making them ideal for a plug-in hybrid vehicle.'"

It shows the legacy burden of established manufacturers, doesn't it? The battery people have to plan for all sorts of contingencies from their bosses. "Maybe PHEV dominates the next decade". "Maybe simple 48v HEV becomes standard". The flexibility in cell manufacturing architecture likely increases BEV cost to traditional manufacturers. Plus it may be more problematic to provide low C rate in a battery shape agnostic design.

The Germans probably don't need to worry about cost too much for their first high end BEVs. But they don't seem well positioned to bring high performance to mid priced cars.

Well I did mean that we as a group could come up with financial questions, not product or feature related primarily.
By the way, I hope you don't begrudge me the question about Roadster 3.0. If you take a gander over at the Roadster sub-forum you'll see that we are having trouble getting any information about the rate and scheduling of upgrades or the other components of the original 3.0 upgrade plan other than the battery.

By the way, I hope you don't begrudge me the question about Roadster 3.0. If you take a gander over at the Roadster sub-forum you'll see that we are having trouble getting any information about the rate and scheduling of upgrades or the other components of the original 3.0 upgrade plan other than the battery.

Not at all. The shareholder's meeting is, as per Tesla's format, a kind of free-for-all open Q&A.

What I was thinking was if there was a way for enthusiast investors to get together and, by an appointed representative, ask financially and stock related questions on the conference calls.

It's nice to occasionally have an open unfiltered forum where anyone can ask a question so that we are all reminded of why it's not a good idea to have an open unfiltered forum where anyone can ask a question.

Some of the questions were absurd. I think the one where the guy had a personal grievance against Solar City he wanted to talk about kind of takes the cake this time. It was inappropriate on multiple levels. It was personal and not of public interest. It was not a question. It was something Elon and company could provide no useful response to. It wasn't even about Tesla.

I'm also perplexed how you can tell the audience a thousand times to keep to short quick to the point questions and still people go into entire lectures where the actual question is nowhere to be found.

Here's a real suggestion to everyone, including those who are asking well intentioned questions. There is a very good reason to keep your question very short and to the point, and not try to cram in more than one question. When you ramble on a bit, or try to inject multiple questions, the speaker begins to lose focus on what the actual question was, and then the answer ends up being something loosely related that doesn't actually answer the original question. This keeps happening at the shareholder meetings, and it's really annoying. Please ask short to the point questions so that your question actually gets answered (even if it's just a "can't comment on that" answer) and the QA can move along more efficiently and get to more questions.

Not at all. The shareholder's meeting is, as per Tesla's format, a kind of free-for-all open Q&A.

What I was thinking was if there was a way for enthusiast investors to get together and, by an appointed representative, ask financially and stock related questions on the conference calls.
If we could do that what makes you think that we would get more than one question?

And the effen Californians wouldn't ask about the fact that dealers are banned in New Mexico,,

Ask about the rumors that Tesla is considering partnering with additional battery manufacturers other than just Panasonic.

Recent tweets answer this question. Sounds like there is consideration of using Samsung for Tesla Energy products (and LG Chem for Roadster 3.0), but all the automotive batteries will remain Panasonic. That's pretty much what I expected.