Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Official: Model S Service Plans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I'll have to call or email to straighten this out, but the wording looks to cover the annual service visits only. If a pick the Ranger plan and I have a leaky door seal or need a door handle replaced, would that be covered, or would I have to take the car to the service center 150 miles away?

I think I'll have to call or email to straighten this out, but the wording looks to cover the annual service visits only. If a pick the Ranger plan and I have a leaky door seal or need a door handle replaced, would that be covered, or would I have to take the car to the service center 150 miles away?

Don't quote me on this, but I think I've heard if service MUST be done at the service center, rangers will still come to pick up your car and bring it to the service center...

Ok so basically $700/year for the tire service... Not sure that's worth it, I got my wheels repaired for 99 bucks at tesla service. I'd need to damage 7 wheels a year to make it worthwhile. I suppose if it covers buying new tires too, it might pan out.

The extended agreement says it lasts for 50k miles... I'm hoping that's 50k miles from the time that your warranty expires and not 50k miles total?

For those that keep cars that long, the 8 year is a pretty good deal. If it's transferrable to the next owner, even better.

Don't quote me on this, but I think I've heard if service MUST be done at the service center, rangers will still come to pick up your car and bring it to the service center...

that would be nice actually. (sorry, I quoted you :) )

*edit* on transferring:

Contact Tesla and submit the following:
A letter requesting that Tesla transfer this Agreement to the new owner.
$100 transfer fee.
This Agreement.
Written evidence verifying all maintenance requirements have been met.
A copy of documentation evidencing change of ownership and mileage at date of sale.
Documents verifying transference of the Agreement, if
applicable.
Conditions:
This Agreement cannot be transferred to another vehicle. It can only be transferred to a different
private owner of the same Vehicle.
The Vehicle is subject to inspection.
Transfer must take place within 30 days of chan
ge of ownership.
You may not transfer this Agreement to a vehicle dealer or to the customer of a vehicle dealer.
All remaining underlying warranties also must be transferred to the new owner.

Sounds like a hassle. 4 years it is.

Last edited:
Even though the agreement language may not be clear, the "Days Remaining to Purchase" countdown is rather precise...
Capture.JPG

One thing that isn't clear to me - is the four year extension plan something we have to buy NOW, or can we wait four years and then do it? Of course who knows what the price will be in four years.

Here is the quote from the Tesla website. Looks like you can wait four years. Price might not be the same by then of course.

Tesla’s extended service program covers the repair or replacement of Model S parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla. Coverage lasts for four years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) and begins on the date your warranty expires, as long as you purchase this service within 30 days of your warranty’s expiration.

Here is the quote from the Tesla website. Looks like you can wait four years. Price might not be the same by then of course.

Tesla’s extended service program covers the repair or replacement of Model S parts due to defects in materials or workmanship provided by Tesla. Coverage lasts for four years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) and begins on the date your warranty expires, as long as you purchase this service within 30 days of your warranty’s expiration.
It could also be less.
I love it when my airline says ... "Only 4 seats remaining at this price." (The rest will be less!)

I'm not very happy with the following:

"• Wheel alignment*; and
• Tire rotation*.
* Must be done at a Tesla Service Center and cannot be performed by a Tesla Ranger. If Your scheduled
maintenance is performed by a Tesla Ranger, You may schedule this service at no additional charge with
advance notice to a Tesla Authorized Service Center."

What do those of us do that don't live remotely close to a Tesla Service Center? The nearest service center is 250 miles away, cutting it too close re: battery capacity for a same day turnaround. There are no high powered chargers between me and them (KC-->St. Louis). Tesla needs to find a partner in major metropolitan areas that lack a service center for wheel alignment and tire rotation. How about their strategic partners (MB and/or Toyota). There's no reason why a Tesla ranger can't take the car to a local service center (for a fee, I presume) in order to put the car on a lift. I'm not going to drive 250 miles for their required service. My schedule doesn't permit that, nor should I be expected to suffer the inconvenience, as that was certainly not the way this was conveyed at the time of purchase. This requirement/inconvenience would also negate the benefit of the Ranger anytime/anywhere plan.

He's talking about the extension plan for the annual service, not the extended warrantee. This thread is getting very confused between people mixing up the two. You can prepay your first 4 years annual service or your first 8 years annual service. If you only prepay your first 4 years they aren't promising whether you can prepay the next 4 years at the discounted rate at a later time. I'll bet you will be able to, but who knows if the price will be the same.

This is totally unrelated to the extended warrantee, which you only have to purchase when the original 4 year warrantee expires. One covers the cost of annual visits, the other covers problems with the car due to defects.

He's talking about the extension plan for the annual service, not the extended warrantee. This thread is getting very confused between people mixing up the two. You can prepay your first 4 years annual service or your first 8 years annual service. If you only prepay your first 4 years they aren't promising whether you can prepay the next 4 years at the discounted rate at a later time. I'll bet you will be able to, but who knows if the price will be the same.

This is totally unrelated to the extended warrantee, which you only have to purchase when the original 4 year warrantee expires. One covers the cost of annual visits, the other covers problems with the car due to defects.

Yes. This sounds correct to me. I bought the full 8 years for service with the unlimited Ranger visits. We have 4 years or 50k from delivery to buy the extended warranty.

I assume the unlimited Ranger visits also covers warranty repairs that the Rangers can do.

He's talking about the extension plan for the annual service, not the extended warrantee. This thread is getting very confused between people mixing up the two.

The confusion is very understandable given the terminology Tesla used:
"4-year Extension" = term for additional 4 years annual service
"Extended Service Agreement" = term for additional 4 years warranty

That they said Extended Service Agreement to mean Extended Warranty Agreement is going to continue to confuse a lot of people.

The confusion is very understandable given the terminology Tesla used:
"4-year Extension" = term for additional 4 years annual service
"Extended Service Agreement" = term for additional 4 years warranty

That they said Extended Service Agreement to mean Extended Warranty Agreement is going to continue to confuse a lot of people.

Was going to post to this effect. Extended service agreement != Extended Warranty.

I'm not very happy with the following:

"• Wheel alignment*; and
• Tire rotation*.
* Must be done at a Tesla Service Center and cannot be performed by a Tesla Ranger. If Your scheduled
maintenance is performed by a Tesla Ranger, You may schedule this service at no additional charge with
advance notice to a Tesla Authorized Service Center."

Obviously they can't do a wheel alignment in your garage... they'd need a lift. It's possible they might be able to work out a local solution; you'd have to ask. Fortunately wheel alignment isn't done very often.

As for tire rotation, probably the issue is that they can't lift two wheels at once in your garage. They don't come equipped with two jacks, and they probably don't want to use jack stands. However, if you have more than four wheels on hand it is feasible... I was planning to rotate the tires myself when I swap winter/summer wheels. (I'll swap the wheels myself, but get a Ranger to reset the TPMS.)

Tesla really need to clarify a lot of this!!!

For example ... (forgive me if it's been brought up before) ... Tire warranty ... as long as you purchase by April 15th, 2013 or within 15 days of your Model S delivery.
Or? Doesn't say "whichever the sooner". Or later. As an owner, I'd expect them to email me about this April 15 deadline. A month ahead of time.
Not sure I see the benefit ...