Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Octopus Energy Saving Sessions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how the Octopus ”Power Hour” energy saving sessions are actually calculated?

I’ve taken part in all of them, but the results just seem totally random.

I’ve had sessions where we’ve switched off as much as we can and gone out, only to be told that we didn’t manage to save anything.

Some sessions, we’ve made very small savings, Including one where virtually everything was switched off and the whole family was in another country.

One session I forgot it was happening despite signing up, only to be told I’d managed to save 93% of my normal usage and be credited with over £16 off!

I’ll continue to sign up for them and don’t really do it expecting to save much as we are already quite energy efficient. It all just seems so random.

Zero odds, because that’s now a wrap for 14 DFS events, including 2 Live ones, so they’ve met their stated 6 tests before and after New Year.

My total OctoPoints this season come to 464,734, presuming Octopus Energy fulfil their streak bonus points promises.

Also I note that National Grid ESO’s settlement figures are somewhat out of date.

Plus don’t those 30 minute session fly by, compared to the 2/1.5 hour ones!

Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
Wow.. mine are 4,084. Although I did buy a £3 dog toy on the store with some.

You managed to save 100 times as much power as me.. and for one session I literally pulled the switch and powered the entire house off..
I get the impression these saving sessions really are an opportunity for those with Battery Storage to shine.
I would imagine a relatively small number of us with a Battery Storage fleet will have a disproportionate impact on grid balancing...

Upvote 0
I get the impression these saving sessions really are an opportunity for those with Battery Storage to shine.
I would imagine a relatively small number of us with a Battery Storage fleet will have a disproportionate impact on grid balancing...

Agreed. not only we already save but we also feed the grid for those that cant... I feel so generous right now 🤗

Reactions: PITA
Upvote 0
Just under 115,000 points with three Sessions to be added.

I'm a Serial Streaker apparently...

Screenshot_20240303_080829_Samsung Internet.jpg

Upvote 0
Our site export limit is 5.0kW, which prior to these savings sessions I never gave a second thought to. But with 2 Powerwalls and a modestly sized solar system it would be better higher.
Did your DNO decline approving a higher export limit?

We also have 2 Powerwalls and 4kWp solar, and UKPN approved 13.68kVA for us, but perhaps there are local constraints limiting your export?

Even with that approval the site limit on Tesla was left set at 5kVA by the installers, but one quick call to Tesla Support got that fixed in under a minute.

• Helpful
Reactions: KennethS
Upvote 0
Did your DNO decline approving a higher export limit?

We also have 2 Powerwalls and 4kWp solar, and UKPN approved 13.68kVA for us, but perhaps there are local constraints limiting your export?

Even with that approval the site limit on Tesla was left set at 5kVA by the installers, but one quick call to Tesla Support got that fixed in under a minute.
We're also with UKPN. As weak as it may sound, I looked at the application forms for an increase in our export limit but it is beyond my comfort to do it on my own. Should probably engage the installer who added the second Powerwall but up until these savings sessions the 5.0 limit never seemed to have any impact on us.

Reactions: thax1
Upvote 0
We're also with UKPN. As weak as it may sound, I looked at the application forms for an increase in our export limit but it is beyond my comfort to do it on my own. Should probably engage the installer who added the second Powerwall but up until these savings sessions the 5.0 limit never seemed to have any impact on us.
Ignore the application form, there should be a letter from the DNO approving the G99 application and stating the new approved export limit in plain language.

Upvote 0