Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NYTimes blunders again... columnist says 200-300 mile EV battery nonexistant

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About four years ago (the third article in the post above) he was aware of Tesla.
I am a bit flabbergasted...
Really disappointed in Nocera, and would like to know the truth, why he did what he did, said what he said.

The author is very aware that Tesla exists and has batteries that meet the criteria described.

Talking Business - Costly Toys, or a New Era for Drivers? - NYTimes.com
Thanks for finding that 2008 piece by Nocera about Tesla. Now I am even more disappointed in him! Almost every negative point in that article about Tesla and EVs has been clearly shown to be wrong, 6 years later. But still Nocera writes in 2014 about how EVs aren't the future because batteries aren't good enough or cheap enough! He ignores recent Tesla successes and the Nevada battery factory.

When you look at that article with the 2008 photo of Elon standing next to an orange Roadster in a workshop that is obviously building cars by hand, very slowly, and think about how Tesla production is working now, and how sophisticated a Model S is and the accolades it has received, the change is astonishing. But Nocera ignores all that.

History keeps repeating itself.

From July, 2008 Nocera wrote a rant about Tesla Motors filled with errors, The Electric Car Cometh.

My blog in response (the snippy title being a play on a comment Steve Jobs made about Nocera getting his facts wrong): Joe Nocera - Slime Bucket of Incorrect Facts

Six months later they ran another Tesla hit piece: Should Taxpayers Back a High-End Electric Carmaker? For that one, they printed my response as a letter to the editor: Letters - The Tesla Technology - Letter - NYTimes.com

When you look at that article with the 2008 photo of Elon standing next to an orange Roadster in a workshop that is obviously building cars by hand, very slowly, and think about how Tesla production is working now, and how sophisticated a Model S is and the accolades it has received, the change is astonishing.
That photo was taken inside the R&D facility on Bing Street in Menlo Park, where the Roadster was developed. The Roadsters were built on a Lotus assembly line in England then shipped to the US where the battery pack was installed at the Menlo Park service center.

Still, your observation about how much things have changed is valid.

I had no idea that Mr. Nocera had knowledge of Tesla going back to the Roadster days. That makes his most recent column all the more disappointing, and raises serious question about the credibility of the New York Times.

Looks like it's all still there:

Screen Shot 2015-02-11 at 8.39.21 PM.png

Last edited:
Looks like it's all still there:

View attachment 72020

Key difference is finding a single cow that provides 300 hamburgers and is marketable instead of buying ground beef from a factory that uses thousands of cows. Does she know where her food comes from?

Key differnce is finding a single hard drive that stores 300TB instead of using thousands of platters. Does she know how hard drives have multiple platters inside one enclosure?

Key difference is finding single employee that can make a car instead of using thousands of employees. Does she really think Mr Smiths backyard racer is better than a large company's product?

Key difference is she uses her twitter account spew lots of text and I read to learn more than I type.